Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

License plate light for toad

Has anyone tried one of these?
LED Trailer License-Plate Light w/ Mounting Bracket, 2 Wire, 5 Diode - Clear Optronics Trailer Lights LPL55CB

I tow a Geo Tracker flat with the battery in the toad disconnected and add-on lights (trunk style) pinched between the tailgate and ragtop crossbar. This setup does not provide a lighted license plate. I'm thinking of trying one of the above (when needed .... seldom tow at night) upside down and bolted/thumbscrewed to the bottom holes of the license plate (shining up) and powered by a 9 volt battery velcro'd to the holder. Only draws .027 amps. Whadaya think?
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

I had not thought about the license light. I mostly also don't tow at night but sometimes have to when going to shows. I also tow flat with the magnetic lights from the motor home. Does anyone know what the law is about that while towing at night?
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
I had not thought about the license light. I mostly also don't tow at night but sometimes have to when going to shows. I also tow flat with the magnetic lights from the motor home. Does anyone know what the law is about that while towing at night?
Depends on the state but many/most require illuminating the license plate.

Florida requires: " A white light that makes the license plate visible from 50 feet (The plate must be kept clean)."

New Jersey: (d) Every trailer or semitrailer shall be equipped on the rear with 2 tail lamps, 2 stop lamps, 2 turn signals and 2 reflectors, one of each at each side, and with adequate license plate illumination. (they describe "adequate" in another paragraph ...toad is treated same as trailer).

In general, states require the license plate light to be on at the same time as the front and rear lights of the towing vehicle (and the toad rear lights) .... roughly dusk to dawn.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for posting the question. It makes me wonder if my HHR license plate light is on when I tow at night. My setup has a battery charge line from the MH. On the HHR I turn the key to accessory and pull fuse #8 (actually a switch). The MH light switch operates the HHR tailights. But I don't know about the license plate light.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

The only reason you'll ever get pulled over for an inoperative license plate light on a TOAD is if the police officer thinks you might be hauling dope or your a really attractive woman (or man in this brave new world).
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
The only reason you'll ever get pulled over for an inoperative license plate light on a TOAD is if the police officer thinks you might be hauling dope or your a really attractive woman (or man in this brave new world).

You may be right but if I can eliminate a potential problem and a fine totally out of proportion to the cost of fixing the problem why wouldn't I do that ???
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
As more small, and some not so small, towns are strapped for cash. It seems like I am seeing more tickets being written. Why give them a reason when a little effort on my part can make me legal.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats a pretty good idea, beats duc-taping a small mag-light to the bumper.
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwar View Post
Thats a pretty good idea, beats duc-taping a small mag-light to the bumper.
Not to mention, candles keep blowing out
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
In Okla trailers aren't required to be licensed so I assume my OKla toad (trailer) wouldn't need a License Light. ???????
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
In Okla trailers aren't required to be licensed so I assume my OKla toad (trailer) wouldn't need a License Light. ???????
Although there is no point in lighting an empty plate holder on a trailer, and your toad (in OK) is treated as a trailer when towed, I would not assume that .... licensing and vehicle requirements are not always logically connected ..... especially when the vehicle is NOT a trailer when it is off the hitch. Best to check with your DMV.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I would think that the answer is absolutely you don't need one. The problem is how much hassle do you want to go through proving yourself innocent in another state a long way from home.

We also tow a Tracker four down and I don't think the plate is lighted. The tail lights are wired through diodes from the RV so it doesn't seem possible. Will have to check next time we hook it up. We don't travel all that much at night but have never been stopped for it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #13

I have a dedicated power line from the Phoenix for the Even-Brake and TOAD-Charge to keep the battery up when towing. There are also separate stop/turn/tail lights.
If I must travel at night I simply turn on the Toad's marker/parking/running/license lights (I want dunderheads to see the side of the Toad).
My experience has been that if the Toad isn't lit up like a Christmas tree, there'll be some idjit that won't see it.
There's a reason cars have side markers.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
I have a dedicated power line from the Phoenix for the Even-Brake and TOAD-Charge to keep the battery up when towing. There are also separate stop/turn/tail lights.
If I must travel at night I simply turn on the Toad's marker/parking/running/license lights (I want dunderheads to see the side of the Toad).
My experience has been that if the Toad isn't lit up like a Christmas tree, there'll be some idjit that won't see it.
There's a reason cars have side markers.
Absolutely!

Tags
toad