Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

License plate lights

Are license plates required to be illuminated at night when a vehicle becomes a TOAD? My Blue Ox wiring kit did not come with a connection or instructions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Apparently not as no one has them lit as far as I know and we have not had any reports of members being cited by LEOs.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

I do believe they have to be lighted. I know you can get stopped if they are not.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RCW 46.37.050

Here is the Washington State law which clearly requires (much to my surprise) illumination with a white light on basically any towed vehicle.

Tail lamps.

(1) After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in RCW 46.37.020, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, shall have at least one tail lamp. On a combination of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

(2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches.

(3) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

This may vary state to state but suffice it to say if Washington has it then many will so illuminating will cover you no matter where yu travel-----hummmm learn something new every day---thanks for asking the question I would not be surprid=sed if this is news to a lot of people---I know I never gave it a thought. But I do not drive much at night.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Required in most states. Ticket depends on LEO having PMS or not.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

"Ticket depends on LEO having PMS or not."

Or the person being stopped being a total a&* or not.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is lit with tail lites.

Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blindhanger, it is part of the running lite circuit. If you have working tail lites it should be lit. May be a bad bulb or dirty contact.

Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was stopped in PA once for the license plate light not being illuminated but I was driving the vehicle. They may not require it if your towing. Different states probably have different laws so I guess you have to take your chances. A check with the DMV in the states you will be traveling could be an option but also seems like a PITA.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Blindhanger, it is part of the running lite circuit. If you have working tail lites it should be lit. May be a bad bulb or dirty contact.

Mike
Took the words right out of my mouth!
I'll add that I recently fixed mine- it wasn't working due to its being badly grounded...

Francesca
Old 09-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer, at least in MI, depends on if the car can be driven in "Tow" mode once it's disconnected.

That said, the license plate lamp is normally on the tail light circuit so if the tail lights are on the license plate lamp SHOULD be and the tow light kit DOES include that lead.

(Michigan law allows a car to be towed w/o plates if

1: It is towed "Off the ground" or 2: It can NOT be driven under it's own power.. So my towed, which could not be driven under it's own power in tow mode, woudl have been legal w/o plates or light on them. Still. it was lit.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club

Doesn't "can't be driven under its own power" mean a vehicle that doesn't run due to some mechanical defect?
I think a "toad" that's had some part of its systems purposely disabled so it can be towed is still an "able-bodied" vehicle, and subject to laws that govern them.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drive during the day and avoid any problems.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
While disconnected, turn your towed vehicle's headlights on, go back and see if the bulb lights up.

Then you will know if you have a problem. Others have stated it is part of a circuit.

Kerry

Tags
lights