Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
paz

Light-Brite Taillight Converter

Anyone using the Roadmaster Light-Brite taillight converter?

Roadmaster says their converter provides for brighter lights on the toad and is less prone to burn-out, but it costs 2 to 4 times what other taillight converters cost.

We just got a new toad that has combined brake lights/turn signals whereas the old toad had separate lights the same as the motorhome. Therefore, I need to install a converter. I found the Light-Brite for around $46 on Amazon. Walmart and most auto parts stores have converters for around $20, and I even found a Hoppy on Amazon for under $10. Is the Light-Brite really better?

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter not needed, other options including a light bar, "Add-a-lamp" and extera light sockets are an option.

Just so you know.

With modern LED lamps you could dang near peal and stick a pair of turn signals on the towed's rear end. Use the factory brake and tail lamps.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Converter not needed, other options including a light bar, "Add-a-lamp" and extera light sockets are an option.

Just so you know.

With modern LED lamps you could dang near peal and stick a pair of turn signals on the towed's rear end. Use the factory brake and tail lamps.
Regardless of what kind of lights I use on the toad - add a lamp, LEDs, light bar, magnetic lights or the toad's own lights with diodes - I still need a converter to combine the separate brake lights and turn signals on the motorhome unless I want to add separate brake lights and turn signals to the toad, which I don't want to do. Therefore, I'm still looking for recommendations on a converter.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

I used the reverse light cavity with a amber bulb, looks just like amber turn signals. I also have amber turn on the MH. No converter needed.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I used the reverse light cavity with a amber bulb, looks just like amber turn signals. I also have amber turn on the MH. No converter needed.
That's not a bad idea because the backup lights on the toad would never be used when the toad is hooked up to the motorhome. My only concern is the backup lights on the Equinox seem to be focused to shine directly behind the vehicle. If I use that cavity for the turn signal, the turn signal would only be visible from directly behind the toad. If someone were off at a slight angle, such as they might be if they were in the other lane just starting to pass, they might not be able to see the turn signal. Turn signals should also be visible from off to the side. Therefore, I still want to stick with the standard lights, which means I am still looking for a converter.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I haven't used the Brite-Lite converter, but I have used Roadmaster's Hy-Power diodes on 2 toads and the taillights and stoplights were just as bright as normal.

The diodes were more expensive than other brands, but they performed as advertised.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #7

I am confused about this "Brite Lite" gadget.

Normally a 5-4 or 4-5 wire converter is used when one of the vehicles is 4 wire and one is 5 wire for light operation. That gadget does not have any running/tail light wire?

On one of my toads I use the toad lighrs using diodes whereas on the other it has a spare socket in the light fixture for a seperate bulb so I use a seperate bulb.

Both work fine

I saw the writup on "Brite Lite" where it says higher current is used so the lights are brighter. Hummm

Ohms law says current is directky proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

So if the current increases the voltage would be increased or the bulb resistance would be decreased. Given we are talking about the same bulbs here (I think), can anyone here tell me how they peovide brighter lights and how the tail lights are illuminated.

Just a bit confused on this one. I am obviously missing something here. Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #8

All converters just use 4 diodes as isolators to eliminate "backfeed" between the brake and taillight circuits. A diode creates a voltage drop of 7/10 of a volt, which is not much in a 14 volt (running) system. "Heavy duty" diodes just have the ability to carry more current without overheating and burning out - no difference in voltage drop.

There is no need to run the taillight circuit through the converter, since it is already isolated from the brake & turn circuit.

Hoppy is a good brand.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I am confused about this "Brite Lite" gadget.

Normally a 5-4 or 4-5 wire converter is used when one of the vehicles is 4 wire and one is 5 wire for light operation. That gadget does not have any running/tail light wire?...
The taillight is a separate filament on both the towing and on the towed vehicle so it is already isolated from the other lights. Therefore, the wire for the taillights can run straight through without having to go through the converter. Some of the converters have additional wires to connect to the taillights, but those connections are probably there just for convenience and go straight through.

Quote:
...I saw the writup on "Brite Lite" where it says higher current is used so the lights are brighter. Hummm

Ohms law says current is directky proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

So if the current increases the voltage would be increased or the bulb resistance would be decreased. Given we are talking about the same bulbs here (I think), can anyone here tell me how they peovide brighter lights and how the tail lights are illuminated.

Just a bit confused on this one. I am obviously missing something here. Thanks
The Light-Brite description says, "delivering more current to the towed vehicle's brake and turn signal lights for brighter illumination." I took that to mean the Light-Brite has lower internal resistance than other converters. According to Ohm's Law, if there is less resistance, the voltage drop will be lower. Since the resistance of the bulb stays the same, the higher voltage will result in higher current. Higher current will cause the bulb to burn brighter.

According to bluepill, however, converters use diodes, which all have about the same resistance, so that blows my theory. Heavy duty diodes would lessen the risk of burn-out, but would apparently have the same resistance and therefore would not have any effect on voltage drop. Looks like i might go with the Hoppy converter.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Paz - right on

I can't recall if I wired the tail lights direct when I replaced two 5 - 4 wire converters or it went through the internal wiring of the converter - likely it was wired direct - but not certain. So indeed this does answer the tail lite question.

And as you said, more current could only be acheived by reducing resistance on the circuit given the voltage remains constant.

If the resistance is constant between the diode types and if the overall load remains constant the current cannot change if the voltage remains constant.

When High Current Diodes are referred to, this means the physical capacity of that component can dissipate the heat generated by higher current in the circuit - I don't believe it necessarily has a lower resistive component so it can handle more current.

So we are still left with the question:

How does the "Brite Lite" converter increase current in bulbs given there is no resistive component change in the Brite Lite converters?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
paz

Quote:
...So we are still left with the question:

How does the "Brite Lite" converter increase current in bulbs given there is no resistive component change in the Brite Lite converters?

Thanks
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Is it hype or is the Bright-Lite worth the extra money. If the Bright-Lite is more expensive only because the diodes are high capacity, then I think I'll take my chances with the cheaper Hoppy converter. If it burns out after a brief period, then I'll know I should have gone with a better unit.

BTW, both the ground and wire for the taillights pass through the Hoppy converter. There are 5 wires in and 4 out.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #12

PAZ

I agree sounds like hype to me. I cannot remember running an independent wire when I replaced 2 converters with Hoppys. So what you said makes sense.

Thanks again

Tags
converter