Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Light hookups on 2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee

switched toads from 2011 jeep to 2015 garage told me that I needed a four wire converter to the two wire system on new jeep has anyone had this same problem or think might be inexperience at garage they could only get a weak left turn signal thanks in advance
dblcruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

When the mechanic wired our Jeep, he didn't bother the OEM wiring. Instead he added new sockets in the taillight housings, and ran a separate lighting system for brake, turn, running lights. That socket wiring assembly may be purchased pre-assembled. He did install a wiring convertor on the MH harness that eliminated the Jeeps yellow turn lamps and used the one new bulb socket for all functions.
re: weak bulb. Over 90% of all 12V issues are poor ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2014 trailhawk. These new models have LED tail/brake lights.
It is not a single bulb, therefore there is no space to drill and install a new socket in the housing.
One solution is to use isolation diodes.
You would use a normal 4 wire connection to you coach.
if your coach has a std 7 pin trailer connector, then no converter is needed since the brake & turn are the same filament.

Dan
Old 01-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We just ordered a GC Overland. Can't wait for it to arrive so I've been shopping for all of the goodies that will be required as soon as it arrives. In the past I have always just spliced in the lighting wiring but this time I think I will go the fancy route and do the factory connector interconnect. This is what I found so far with my research.

I am still at least 6 weeks away before the GC is delivered so I haven't gotten too serious. Suggest you just give etrailer.com a call and ask them any questions. They are great people to work with and give your money to... Please post whatever you end up doing.

Cheers,
Glenn
Old 01-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure I know what s/he means by a "four wire converter" to connect up the LED brake lights on the new Jeeps. We have a new Cherokee TrailHawk with the the BlueOx BX8848 harness which terminates in the standard 4-pin, round connector below the Cherokee's front bumper. It is a four diode system and all connections to the Jeep's rear lights are made to the OEM harness as it runs through the driver's door sill; everything tucks into the cavity below the door. In the case of the Cherokee TrailHawk, at least, there is no need to run the BX8848 harness all the way to the back of the Jeep, and no need for a "four wire converter." The Grand Cherokee (I would think) is similar. Must have been some kind of misunderstanding, I am thinking. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
. This is what I found so far with my research.
Cheers,
Glenn

This is what I used on our 14 Grand Cherokee. Been fine for over 5000 miles so far.

Used the same thing on our 05 Grand Cherokee for over 55,000 miles.

It will be what I use on the next one, when the time comes.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

I used the Tow-Daddy, light system on my '11 GC and when I traded for the '14 GC I took it off the '11 and put it on the '14. It's a simple plug and play unit, no holes to drill, no light sockets to mess with. Works great. This web-site shows Honda, but they have one for the Jeeps

Tow Daddy Plug n Tow Model #3011 Honda CRV
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #8

Tow vehicle brake wiring

Need help with 2015 Jeep Cherokee Brake light wiring.
Plan on using Unified Tow Brake System from SmartBrakeLLC.
Im confused how the brake lights work. When the brake pedal is applied via the brake controller in the RV power is sent thru the wiring harness and to the brake lights on the car. The brake lights on this car work when the ignition is off so at the same time the pedal is depressed, power from the car is also lighting up the brake lights.
Isn't this a conflict of interest?
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #9

Nope, still only 12 volts being applied. Has no affect.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Need help with 2015 Jeep Cherokee Brake light wiring.
Plan on using Unified Tow Brake System from SmartBrakeLLC.
Im confused how the brake lights work. When the brake pedal is applied via the brake controller in the RV power is sent thru the wiring harness and to the brake lights on the car. The brake lights on this car work when the ignition is off so at the same time the pedal is depressed, power from the car is also lighting up the brake lights.
Isn't this a conflict of interest?
The situation you could end up with, is the Brake lights overriding the turn signals. When you turn on your turn signals in the coach, the turn signals on your Cherokee will work properly, however when you apply the brakes, if the brake pedal in the Cherokee is depressed, the Brake lights will override the turn signal. You will end up showing brake lights on your Cherokee, and turn signals on your coach.

There is a way around this situation. You install a relay on the brake pedal switch in the Cherokee. With that relay installed, the ignition must be on for the Cherokee's brake lights to function with a press of the brake pedal.

I hsve not done this with our Cherokee yet. With everything hooked up, the turn signals on the coach are visable from behind the Cherokee when going down the road. Turn signals for lane changes while under way, and before you hit the bakes in the coach function properly. I just don't want to mess with the factory wiring. There are too many systems tied to the brake pedal.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I also used the TowDaddy setup on my 2012 and 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland.