Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Light Weight Car Trailer

I have a Class C with a tow rating of 5K pounds and a car that cannot be towed 4 down (VW Passat TDI). Short of purchasing another vehicle to tow 4 down, do any of you have a recommendation of a good light weight trailer for the car?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

David and Fran

2016 View 24J
David and Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Aluminum frame trailers are lighter (and more costly) than std steel frame. Since your car is relatively small, you can get a shorter trailer which will also save some weight.

2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
If its front wheel drive, can you use a dolly? I tow my Malibu on an ACME EZE Tow dolly even though it can be towed four down.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
As stated a tow dolly is a option.

It's the easiest to deal with at a camping area/destination due to being able to walk the trailer to where you want to keep it. You can often times store the trailer on the campsite partially under the RV. A aluminum trailer can weigh 1,000-1,500+lbs, is harder to store at a camping area often times requiring the RV or tow vehicle to move the trailer. Some camping areas require extra fees for storing a trailer that can't fit on your site.

Featherlite, atc and a few other trailer manufacturers make great stuff
NC25T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Thank you for your input. It seems that we will most likely purchase a dolly. VW verified that there is NO problem in towing vehicle using the dolly with rear wheels down.

I've been researching and I see Roadmaster, Acme and Stehl make dollies. I am sure there are others, but these seem to be the ones that show up in my searches.

Thoughts on any of those?

Thank you again!
David and Fran

2016 View 24J
David and Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #6
I am running the ACME. It is lighter and easily moved around. I was originally going with the Kar Kaddy but it was very heavy so moving around my house would have been a bigger issue. I also put a hitch on my car so I can easily move it with the car when I need to. Whatever you buy, make sure it has brakes.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
I bought the ACME EZE since it was lighter, have the option for electric or disc brakes built in and you don't have to worry about bearings wearing out. The features seemed much more professionally thought out, and definitely less moving parts. Incredibly easy to put together since most of it is already assembled. The manufacturer is very easy to deal with.
ARMMYCSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
I bought a Stehl. I chose the one with surge disk brakes so it was "hookup, plug in the LED lights and go".

I don't notice any extra effort or push while stopping. It is seemless.

The "turn table plate" steering, takes the strain off the cars steering and straps, while making turns. It does not force the cars wheels to turn.

If you have locking steering, you don't need the key on and fuse's pulled.

It has 15 inch, standard trailer tires. I'v towed almost 20 thousand miles with no tire problems. They still look like new. I have read some reports of smaller tires splitting and wearing out fast.

It has built in ramps, so no storing them. You pull a pin and the ramps tilt down to the ground. Once up, they level out and you out the pin back in.

Some claim The ramps hit the underside of the car. If the hitch height is set right, I dont see how.

I put a 3" caster wheel just behind the hitch. I drop it down on the ground and we push on the fenders to move it around like a tricycle.

I don't know about customer service because I haven't needed it. With the standard parts, I don't see why I would. They do sell parts on their web site.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're towing with the View, you only have 4,220 lb to rating if you are at max GVWR in lieu of the fact you have a 5K hitch. Max GVW is probably easy to achieve on the Sprinter chassis. My Master Tow dolly weighs about 500 lbs. Add the weight of the Passat, and you may exceed the Sprinter's capability. Something to ponder.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

light, weight