Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

Light weight toad 4x4 pu what's good to look for

What's a light weight 4x4 pu to tow. I am looking at nissan frontiers to pull behing a diesel pu camper The frontiers maybe to heavy I want a simple tow bar and know 3000 lbs maybe pushing it I can get a 91 Toyota 4x4 but maybe underpowered and to worn out I want a small pickup to carry things. And put a small alum boat on top. Is there a newer base pickup with no frills and a four cyc that will work
Drivesmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
KIX

Ford Ranger us a good small truck. 2wd and 4wd..........you need to be sure the automatics are flat towable.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

I you want a lightweight 4x4, wait for the new Jeep Renegade - it will be out in early 2015. Weight is about 3400# and it is a true 4x4 with off-road capabilities.

I saw one at the Jeep exhibition at the Texas State Fair and was really impressed with it. I'll be looking seriously at it when it is available.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
I you want a lightweight 4x4, wait for the new Jeep Renegade - it will be out in early 2015. Weight is about 3400# and it is a true 4x4 with off-road capabilities.

I saw one at the Jeep exhibition at the Texas State Fair and was really impressed with it. I'll be looking seriously at it when it is available.
Did it have a neutral position for the transfer case? If not, and early info says no, then it is a non-starter as a toad. We'll just have to wait and see.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Chevy Colorado 4WD. I'm not sure of the new 2015 but older models were. I had looked at one before we decided on the Honda CRV. I can't remember the GMC clone but it was also.

After I went back and reread your post I see where you are looking for under 3K#. The Colorado is about 4K#. Sorry bout that!
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

A Ford Ranger will be in the ball park weight range. I tow a 2011 4x4 auto with the neutral tow kit ( it's just a software change) --- been towing it since it's been new with no issues.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Did it have a neutral position for the transfer case? If not, and early info says no, then it is a non-starter as a toad. We'll just have to wait and see.
According to the young man from Jeep whom I talked to, you have to buy the Trailhawk model with the whoop-de-do version of the 4x4 drivetrain (forget the name of it - maybe "ActiveDrive"?) for towing. This version will be flat towable.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
According to the young man from Jeep whom I talked to, you have to buy the Trailhawk model with the whoop-de-do version of the 4x4 drivetrain (forget the name of it - maybe "ActiveDrive"?) for towing. This version will be flat towable.
The Jeep Cherokee needs to have "Active Drive 2" in order to be towed "4-down".
The Jeep Renegade has the "Active-Drive Low" that we are hoping is the same as the "Active Drive 2".
I have talked to the Jeep Shop Foreman and he cannot tell me if it can be flat towed yet either.
It may not be a stunning looking vehicle BUT the possible reduction in toad weight far exceeds the importance of the looks!

We are impatiently waiting for final word!
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, weight