RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #29
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've seen many Smart cars being towed 4 down. You can't get much lighter then those.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
This is uninformed bs. This car is a blast to drive as friends attest. Our '08 cabrio is computer-limited to 93 mph and drives comfortably there.

In 11 yrs/85000+ miles, the original battery is ok and besides one (optional) tranny software update, has never seen any dealer. Oil/filter changes w/o jacking up the car; 3rd set of F pads; 2nd R shoes. The HVAC fan was replaced (10 min); recent shift controller (15 min). It can't get any better than that.

6'3" and very comfortable; LA>PHX (43mpg);one tank.

You'd be amazed at what I've carried in it, serving 95% of driving needs! Driving like I stole it, stroking the shift paddles near redline; mileage dropped to 27.

The frame and pax 'cage' are incredibly strong and 4 airbags (not Takata) cushion the humans.

Tis superior Daimler quality in a wee package and far superior to all the 5- 7- 8-series BMWs or '15 Outback that came and left my garage, never soon enough.

Laugh, criticize and point but the joke's not on Smart owners.
If you read the thread you'll find that comment was about the overall winner of the lightest toad which is the mini moke at 850 pounds not the smart car

2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #31

2002guy,

I misread the post too as it was referencing the Mini Moke, not the Smart Car. Sorry about that.

Mark
Old 04-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #32

No worries Mark when you read through a long thread it is easy to forget who said what when. As for the mini moke while probably the lightest 4 wheel car you could tow it's not going to be right for most people but they are a barrel of fun.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #33

If you want to tow a sedan, I always thought the Chevy Spark manual transmission would be exceptional. It was good to read that a few of you here tow a Spark and it works well for you.

Years ago we owned an orange 2004 Chevy Aveo 4-door hatch back, a basic car with a manual transmission. I really liked it. It was very comfortable and extremely affordable transportation. The Spark is in the same category, but with much better curb appeal.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #34

I just saw on another automotive website the Smart will be discontinued in the US with the 2019 model. The primary sales target will be China. I can't see this improving the repair and parts problem I spoke about earlier. We enjoyed the Smart but when in Evansville In with a broken transmission are only options were to tow to Louisville KY or Indianapolis IN for service. The estimate for a new clutch was $2600. Mercedes prices are high. We towed it back to Orlando where an independent fixed it for $1850. Still a bite for a clutch. We'll stay with Chevy in the future.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #35

We also tow a Spark and its a not only a great toad, its been a great car. its nimble and fun to drive. We love it. Oh, and it was less than $12k brand new out the door, including tax and tags.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat46 View Post
We are towing a 2017 Spark LT1 with the 5 speed. You must remove the Neg. battery cable to disable the stability control computer but no other issues we've seen. No problem to tow behind my 25' Minnie E350 motor home and it's a great second car for around town. We used to tow a Smart Car and it was no problem to tow except for maintenance which can only be done by a Mercedes dealer WHO SELLS THEM. In Indiana that is one dealer in Indianapolis. Repairs are at Mercedes prices and the service wait is long. which isn't good when your on the road. Few Technicians and fewer repair parts. Been there, done that twice. Go with the Spark and you won't regret it.
X2. Great Toad. No Problems.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #37

Talking Lightest toad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I've seen many Smart cars being towed 4 down. You can't get much lighter then those.
OH???
How about a 1967 Austin~Healey Sprite.(Roadster).. 1200lbs dripping wet...
It will also return 35-40+ mpg, with a 1275cc engine.... and handle like a slot car on rails... giggle
Brigitte...
Old 08-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #38

The Smart Car is thr lightest but also only 2 seats.
There are a few light choices that have 4 seats.
I tow a 5 speed manual transmission 2008 Honda Fit which is listed as 2432 lbs.
I view it as a good toad and it is quite roomy for a small car.

OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, test, toad