Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've never seen a toad up close that I was aware of so, go easy on me. I have my tow brackets installed and have test fitted the tow bar and am about to buy a brake buddy or apollo but, I don't understand the need for lights, exactly. when the brake buddy or apollo apply the toad's brakes, don't the brake lights get actuated?
Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just don't understand the need for extra bulbs or magnetic lights.
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've never seen a toad up close that I was aware of so, go easy on me. I have my tow brackets installed and have test fitted the tow bar and am about to buy a brake buddy or apollo but, I don't understand the need for lights, exactly. when the brake buddy or apollo apply the toad's brakes, don't the brake lights get actuated?
Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just don't understand the need for extra bulbs or magnetic lights.
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not that I'm any expert, but I think proper toad wiring is important for three reasons:

1. Toad turn signals (when you're using your MH turn signals).

2. Toad lights (for example, at night when you have your MH lights on).

3. Brake lights when your supplemental brake device is not applying the brakes on your toad, but you're braking with the MH. My BrakePro device, for example, is set such that my toad brakes are hardly ever applied, unless, of course, the rate of deceleration is fairly quick (like a panic braking situation).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of years ago, I was exactly where you are so I think I understand your question. I have the advantage of having towed sailboats for many years.

Let's consider lights from two angles: a legal one and a practical one.

Legally, I understand that anything you tow needs to have lights on it to warn drivers behind you of your intentions. This includes braking and turning. While you are correct than a toad brake system should turn on the toad's on brake lights, that doesn't address the turn signals. If you ever had problems with the toad's brake system, you would still need to have some sort of brake lights back there to indicate what is happening in the MH. This is normally accomplished by a 4 wire harness from the MH light system. Sometimes, those 4 wires are routed via diodes (to separate the MH and toad electrical systems) to the toad's regular lights. In my case, I route those wires to a set of LED magnetic lights on the trunk of the toad.

Practically speaking, I've never taken a trip in the MH without having someone tailgating me frequently. Whether it is getting close enough to pass me on a two lane road or just being stupid and following to close when they could pass in a 4 lane situation. Many times they are also not paying much attention while tailgating. I've had 6 times in the past two months where someone was directly behind me and I could move to the inner lane, slow down significantly and pull back into the right lane - without bothering any other traffic. That is quite a statement considering we are 55' long with the toad. For situations like that, I want all of the lights that I can get and thought that the LED lights offered advantages in brightness and getting the lights directly into the following driver's field of vision over the standard taillights on our Saturn. I particularly didn't like the contrast between the normal running lights and the turn signal/stop light filaments on cloudy days. I admit that I'm paranoid about someone rear ending me. I'd use airport beacon lights if I could find a way to make them fit on my toad!

I hope this helps.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I knew there had to be a reason!!! How could I forget about turn signals and running lights! Thanks for the help.