Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Retiredblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 343
toad lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
Man! That is robbery! When I was pulling my Saturn, I when over to my buddies body shop and got two brake light sockets out of his used parts box. Took out the Saturn tail lights and drilled a hole for the sockets where there was room for it between the rear of the tail light assembly and body. Took my file and made the hole perfect so the socket would go in and twisted into locking position. wired them up and ran the wires from the trunk, under the carpets, thru the firewall, up to the front of the grill and put in a socket. This way, these lights are independent of the Saturns system and connects to the mo homes system. Works fine. Did the same thing on my Jeep Wrangler and now going to do the same thing on my Chevy Cruze.
Just finished putting tow lights on my Cruze. Took the tail lights out of the body, got two tail light sockets off my friend at his body shop, you can buy them anywhere but free is better. Drilled a 13/16 hole in the tail light assembly at a point I knew would clear the body when sliding back in with the sockets mounted. Got the drimal tool out and files and made the slots for the tail light sockets, put them in, twisted to lock. Done. Now wiring comes next. The Motor home's electric will NOT enter into the Cruzes system but will run directly from the M.H. four wire plug to the newly installed wires back to the tail lights. Works great, no need for ugly external mag lights which scratch paint.
__________________

__________________
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A quick read of that site shows me that there are at least three "errors" in the list for WA alone.
A quick read of OR laws shows errors also, although they did get the braking requirement right!! They even got CA braking requirements right too.
Most of those sites seem to think that a motorized vehicle being towed by another motorized vehicle is a "trailer". In some states that's not true.
And there's also errors in the NC "laws" - eg, quoting the law whitch states Breaks requered on 4000lb towed vehicle and then listing (2 times) that brakes are required at 1000lbs. I think the mixup is lack of understanding that House Trailers over 1000 lbs require brakes not other towed vehicles.

PHESPE
__________________

__________________
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 646
Just bought a set of Harbor Freight magnetic lights with coupon for $9.99. All I really wanted was the wiring so I could wire up my new Toad - trailer wiring kit alone was $14. But, just for kicks, I tried out the lights. They weren't miswired but the ground wire was way too small and caused problems with brake and turn signals. I added a second ground wire in parallel with the original and now they work fine.
__________________
John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have my stehl tow dolly licensed in washington as a trailer primarily so that i can use it as a trailer without having a licensed vehicle on it. i have the small motorcycle size plate. the trailer license is not expensive, ims <$35 a year.
i have had occasion to tow the empty dolly behind the toad and was glad that the dolly had a license and that the lights worked.
But it's not required, in fact I tried to license ours and was told I didn't need it and I've towed it empty too, with no problem. This is our second dolly and I've never licensed either one.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
Just finished putting tow lights on my Cruze. Took the tail lights out of the body, got two tail light sockets off my friend at his body shop, you can buy them anywhere but free is better. Drilled a 13/16 hole in the tail light assembly at a point I knew would clear the body when sliding back in with the sockets mounted. Got the drimal tool out and files and made the slots for the tail light sockets, put them in, twisted to lock. Done. Now wiring comes next. The Motor home's electric will NOT enter into the Cruzes system but will run directly from the M.H. four wire plug to the newly installed wires back to the tail lights. Works great, no need for ugly external mag lights which scratch paint.
I've always used the diodes as there are more than one report of poor lighting when installing new sockets in the existing reflectors as they aren't in the optimum position.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
DAN L's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But it's not required, in fact I tried to license ours and was told I didn't need it and I've towed it empty too, with no problem. This is our second dolly and I've never licensed either one.
i see that you live in the couv also.
you didn't try to license it at the main dmv on 136th ave. did you?
if you did, you would have gotten it done as i did. i did ask for a supervisor after getting the run around at the satellite dmv's as you did.
barring a visit to that office, it would behoove you to get a written statement from whoever gave you the info that you are quoting so that you can take it to court with you and show it to the judge when you get a ticket. that will only work (dubiously, ignorance is no excuse) in washington. it certainly will not work when you are out of state. a person on this forum got a ticket for towing an unlicensed empty dolly in eastern washington a couple of years ago as he was returning home after dropping his car off at a garage for repairs. his post
should be in the archives.
washington requires that a vehicle being towed with the dolly to be licensed. the dolly, when used as a dolly, does not have a title in washington. if the dolly does not have a licensed vehicle on it, it is a trailer and is titled and licensed.
most states recognize the laws of the state your rv is registered in for dolly purposes.
my dw often drives the toad, sometimes with the dolly, when we know that we are going to be in heavy traffic or on a steep descent. sometimes i tow the empty dolly behind the moho while she drives the toad. any way, the dolly has lights and a license so it is legal to tow as a trailer.
i could even mount plywood on it and use it as a cargo trailer.
__________________
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 646
Regarding the posts about the Harbor Freights not being bright enough: This is a result of the undersized ground wire. Add another ground wire in parallel with the original and you'll find all the bulbs will be brighter.
__________________
John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Retiredblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 343
toad lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've always used the diodes as there are more than one report of poor lighting when installing new sockets in the existing reflectors as they aren't in the optimum position.
Never had a problem, just as bright as factory lights!
__________________
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Olivehurst, CA
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I used an older set I had and they left scratch marks on the paint. They worked well - didn't blow off, etc.
Bob
I use magnetic lights on my towed and you just have to make sure the paint on the towed is clean and I also put a thin soft cloth between the magnet and the painted surface. Works great every time.
__________________
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i see that you live in the couv also.
you didn't try to license it at the main dmv on 136th ave. did you?
if you did, you would have gotten it done as i did. i did ask for a supervisor after getting the run around at the satellite dmv's as you did.
barring a visit to that office, it would behoove you to get a written statement from whoever gave you the info that you are quoting so that you can take it to court with you and show it to the judge when you get a ticket. that will only work (dubiously, ignorance is no excuse) in washington. it certainly will not work when you are out of state. a person on this forum got a ticket for towing an unlicensed empty dolly in eastern washington a couple of years ago as he was returning home after dropping his car off at a garage for repairs. his post
should be in the archives.
washington requires that a vehicle being towed with the dolly to be licensed. the dolly, when used as a dolly, does not have a title in washington. if the dolly does not have a licensed vehicle on it, it is a trailer and is titled and licensed.
most states recognize the laws of the state your rv is registered in for dolly purposes.
my dw often drives the toad, sometimes with the dolly, when we know that we are going to be in heavy traffic or on a steep descent. sometimes i tow the empty dolly behind the moho while she drives the toad. any way, the dolly has lights and a license so it is legal to tow as a trailer.
i could even mount plywood on it and use it as a cargo trailer.
I got the info from the DOL main office downtown when I went to license it. This is our second dolly and I never had to license either one. BUT, while I can't say I've never towed it with no car it's only been once or twice.
Guess it's something to check on come next week, headed out to Silver Lake in the morning. Wife just HAS to go to Costco before we leave so she can get some good celery and other stuff!! I know there are other stores closer but if the wife isn't happy NOBODY is!! We live out in Felida Ridge so it is a ways over to Costco.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
Never had a problem, just as bright as factory lights!
Then you're one of those that doesn't have the problem. I said there are more than one report, not that everyone has had problems!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Luckiest Dreamer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,188
When I bought my MH and Toad as a package, the former owner had hooked his up as a temporary set up using the receiver hitch on the toad. He used 2" square tubing that fit the receiver and welded a 3ft bar to it forming what looks a bit like a tee. He drilled the bar and bolted two trailer lights on. He ran an extension cord to the plug on the coach and provided lights. Since he was not using brakes there was no need to worry about the wires for that.
I am not sure that an officer that writes a ticket for a offense is always correct, nor will you always get a correct answer by calling the Office either. The only way you will find out what the law really is, is to take it to court and get a finding. Of course the fine for a plate light may seem easier to pay than it would be to pay a lawyer!
Years ago when I was in the military, my State gave us a break by extending our drivers Lisc renewal date until after discharge. They also gave a 30 day grace period for outdated Lisc plates. The problem was the state that I was stationed in did not have that information. My state did not publish that info outside its borders. I found It easier to get everything updated rather than deal with all the tickets I was getting for outdated stuff.
__________________
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,425
The magnetic lights work great for my usage. I never gave much thought about the need or possible need for the license plate lite. I don't drive much after sunset or before dawn(usually). But solution seems simple enough. Tail lite and ground wire are already in the harness to the mag lites. Just tap into those two and run a length of cable to the license plate lite area and attach via magnet/velco/whatever. Another item to add to the do list

Marty
__________________
2003 34' Dolphin 5342, W22, UP, UPGBrake, F and R Track Bars, Rear IPD sway bar, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Scan Gauge II.. 2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue-Ox Adventa..
M&EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 736
When I bought my dolly new, went to MVD to get license.
Was told here in AZ you do not get a license plate or a registration, only a title.
So I keep the title in the MH as it is my only proof of ownership.

Use the HF magnet lights on my Santa Fe and they work fine, but learned to put the wires under the hood, not lay them on top.
But taking SWMBO's PT Cruiser convertible this year so that rules out the magnet lights.
So I bought LED boat trailer lights to upgrade the visibility of the dolly lights.
__________________

__________________
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lights on Honda Fit Toad Falcon35 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 5 05-24-2011 12:14 AM
Question regarding toad lights Roll Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 17 04-18-2011 06:41 AM
Parking Lights on MH on when Toad Connected CurbCrusher Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 13 12-01-2008 01:53 AM
Toad lights not working BigRedLancer Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 07-17-2008 05:05 AM
Rear lights on toad are very dim after hooking up SBCFyre Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 02-23-2005 10:29 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.