Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio - Near Cleveland
Posts: 473
Lights, wiring and the 7 way socket

I thought for a change that I finally figured out how to wire up my toad, a 2010 Honda CRV to my 2015 Coachman Encounter without having to ask in a forum. I love this place but I was hoping to figure this one out.

On the CRV (as most of you know) it has separate turn signals from the brake lights. To me, this means that the line coming off the RV would have to go into a converter to split the turn signals and brake signal. Correct?

Then, so we don't upset the electrical gods and make a dealer $$$, we have to use a bunch of diodes. Correct?

Now, if I understand the common wiring for the 7 way plug we have a tail light, ground, left turn/stop, right turn/stop, 12 volt line, trailer brakes and auxiliary line. Am I still on the right path?

Here's where I'm stuck. If the RV has separate turn signals from the brake and running lights, is the 7 way connector the same as above or is it wired differently (which makes no sense, yet) to reflect that it has separate turn signals from the brake lights? If the wiring is different, then I wouldn't need the converter, just diodes?

I'm not near the RV to test or check the wiring and won't be for another month. I was hoping to get the CRV wired up and ready to tow before then.

Thanks for the help

Fred
__________________

__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I thought for a change that I finally figured out how to wire up my toad, a 2010 Honda CRV to my 2015 Coachman Encounter without having to ask in a forum. I love this place but I was hoping to figure this one out.

On the CRV (as most of you know) it has separate turn signals from the brake lights. To me, this means that the line coming off the RV would have to go into a converter to split the turn signals and brake signal. Correct?

Then, so we don't upset the electrical gods and make a dealer $$$, we have to use a bunch of diodes. Correct?

Now, if I understand the common wiring for the 7 way plug we have a tail light, ground, left turn/stop, right turn/stop, 12 volt line, trailer brakes and auxiliary line. Am I still on the right path?

Here's where I'm stuck. If the RV has separate turn signals from the brake and running lights, is the 7 way connector the same as above or is it wired differently (which makes no sense, yet) to reflect that it has separate turn signals from the brake lights? If the wiring is different, then I wouldn't need the converter, just diodes?

I'm not near the RV to test or check the wiring and won't be for another month. I was hoping to get the CRV wired up and ready to tow before then.

Thanks for the help

Fred
Fred,
First off Sir, about 99.9999999% of the RVs out there, with "amber" turn signals (which means as you know, separate turn and brake lights), will have an on-board, tail light converter, already built into the tail light trailer plug. That is, your coach has separate turn and brake lights but, the plug, has them combined. So, what this means is, someplace in/on/under your coach, is a tail light converter to allow the combination of the separate turn and brake signals to enter the trailer plug, as one wire, for each side.

Now, also, not very many RVs/Chassis, right from the factory, "Pre-wire" a trailer plug for "TRAILER BRAKES". That is, ELECTRIC ones that is. Now, if you've got a Tekonsha or, some other brand of Electronic Trailer Brake controller, handing around or under your dash, than it's possible that, you MIGHT have a electric brake wire, in that trailer plug. But, I'd bet you don't have trailer brakes wired into your 7 pin connector. This is just an assumption of course as, I'm certainly no expert. Your coach may be pre-wired, (as many are) for electric trailer brakes. You'll have wires under the dash, in a bundle, all ready for hookup to a trailer brake controller, of your choice. And, in the back of the coach, it's possible that, the other end of those wires, are also in a bundle, tucked up, out of the way, also ready for wiring into the trailer plug. Again, this is an assumption, not fact.

Third, I've wired a 11 toads using the stock tail lights as toad lights. And, they were different brand/model/years of toads. All of them worked flawlessly, with no electrical issues what so ever. Wiring toad lights is a big subject on here. Many like to drill extra holes in the rear of the tail light socket and add extra bulbs. Well, that of course, is up to them. I'm not one for having TWO BULBS, within an inch of each other, WITH NO PARTITION in between them, displaying TWO different signals, at one time, BRAKE AND TURN!!!

But, each person has to do what they prefer. One of my toads was an '11 Honda CRV EX-L ALL WHEEL DRIVE and, it too was wired using the stock tail lights as toad lights.

Now, if, you'd like to do it this way, I'm sending along, a wiring schematic that I drew up, specifically for the CRV but, it will work with just about any toad out there, in the pre-'12 versions. I say that because, 2012 and up year model toads that are flat towable, can and most likely will have, "CAN-BUSS" or, "MULTIPLEX" wiring systems in there. And, using my way of wiring the toad lights, can wreak havoc on the system.

But, the pre-'12 models have no issue with that way of wiring them. Many guys have heart attacks when they think of using the stock tail light bulbs as toad lights. They think the entire Honda fleet will burn up if that's done that way. Well, that of course, is up to them, to think that way.

In any case, since you've got a "combined" turn/brake signal, for each side, on/in your RV trailer plug, what you'd need in wiring the Honda correctly is, another tail light converter that will then, separate the combi-turn/brake signal, into two different signals, so that, your AMBER turn lights on your CRV will activate when your turn signals on the coach are activated and, that your brake lights on the toad, including the "third" one, will be activated when the brake lights on the coach are activated. But, this tail light converter I mention, will need to be put on the Honda, not the coach. You'll see that in the picture below.

I hope I've done you some good in this explanation. Good luck and, do ask if there's something I might have missed.
Scott

__________________

__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
GaryKD's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 12,322
Hi Crankshaft,
The trailer connection should be industry standard. It matters not how the coach brake/turn lights are wired. Go to:
https://www.google.com/search?q=7+wa...px%3B600%3B400 to see the details for the 7 pin connector.
__________________
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio - Near Cleveland
Posts: 473
Makes sense now. Whatever the RV manufacturer decides to do for taillights doesn't matter because it's going to get converted to industry standard wiring in the 7 way plug. Then we have to undo that to make it work in cars with separate turn signals and brake lights. Easy, I hope.

Thanks again

Fred
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 51
Center pole on 7 pole plug is backup lights Older were extra power wire.
__________________
Alrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wizard's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Home on the hill in Georgia
Posts: 2,458
I had to use one of these on my Journey with separate brake and turn signal lights. Bought on Amazon, don't remember price. Real easy
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer light converter.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	85528
__________________
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio - Near Cleveland
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I had to use one of these on my Journey with separate brake and turn signal lights. Bought on Amazon, don't remember price. Real easy
Attachment 85528
That's what we have planned to use. Plus a few diodes and we'll be in business.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
That's what we have planned to use. Plus a few diodes and we'll be in business.
Well Crankshaft,
The reason I took the time to explain it to you was so you'd know how and why they did it, and ended up with the NORMAL wired, 7-pin plug. If you take the time to look at my drawing, you'll see you only need TWO diodes to make the system work properly and, protect the toads, down stream wiring issues when wiring the toad to use its tail light bulbs as toad lights.

You can put as many as you like, wherever you choose but, two are all that's needed. And, you can, if you like, purchase those expensive, fancy encased diodes that some of the RV supply houses sell or, you can pay about 1/5th the price at Radio Shack, (before they close all the doors for good) and get the largest ones they sell, in a three or four pack, for about $2.98 or so. They're the ones I've used for decades and, never, ever had one issue with them. Good luck.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NE Ohio - Near Cleveland
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Crankshaft,
The reason I took the time to explain it to you was so you'd know how and why they did it, and ended up with the NORMAL wired, 7-pin plug. If you take the time to look at my drawing, you'll see you only need TWO diodes to make the system work properly and, protect the toads, down stream wiring issues when wiring the toad to use its tail light bulbs as toad lights.

You can put as many as you like, wherever you choose but, two are all that's needed. And, you can, if you like, purchase those expensive, fancy encased diodes that some of the RV supply houses sell or, you can pay about 1/5th the price at Radio Shack, (before they close all the doors for good) and get the largest ones they sell, in a three or four pack, for about $2.98 or so. They're the ones I've used for decades and, never, ever had one issue with them. Good luck.
Scott
I appreacite the input very much. It makes the issue much clearer. Due to the fact theat Radio Shack is going south quickly that means that Ebay or Mouser is our next source for diodes. On the other hand, just using the standard toad diodes wouldn't be the end of the world either. At least if a diode did quit on me I could get a replacement quicker than waiting for Ebay or Mouser. It's been a long time since a diode fried on me. I like your wiring diagram, makes the process clearer.

Thanks again

Fred
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Fred,
First off Sir, about 99.9999999% of the RVs out there, with "amber" turn signals (which means as you know, separate turn and brake lights), will have an on-board, tail light converter, already built into the tail light trailer plug. That is, your coach has separate turn and brake lights but, the plug, has them combined. So, what this means is, someplace in/on/under your coach, is a tail light converter to allow the combination of the separate turn and brake signals to enter the trailer plug, as one wire, for each side.

Now, also, not very many RVs/Chassis, right from the factory, "Pre-wire" a trailer plug for "TRAILER BRAKES". That is, ELECTRIC ones that is. Now, if you've got a Tekonsha or, some other brand of Electronic Trailer Brake controller, handing around or under your dash, than it's possible that, you MIGHT have a electric brake wire, in that trailer plug. But, I'd bet you don't have trailer brakes wired into your 7 pin connector. This is just an assumption of course as, I'm certainly no expert. Your coach may be pre-wired, (as many are) for electric trailer brakes. You'll have wires under the dash, in a bundle, all ready for hookup to a trailer brake controller, of your choice. And, in the back of the coach, it's possible that, the other end of those wires, are also in a bundle, tucked up, out of the way, also ready for wiring into the trailer plug. Again, this is an assumption, not fact.

Third, I've wired a 11 toads using the stock tail lights as toad lights. And, they were different brand/model/years of toads. All of them worked flawlessly, with no electrical issues what so ever. Wiring toad lights is a big subject on here. Many like to drill extra holes in the rear of the tail light socket and add extra bulbs. Well, that of course, is up to them. I'm not one for having TWO BULBS, within an inch of each other, WITH NO PARTITION in between them, displaying TWO different signals, at one time, BRAKE AND TURN!!!

But, each person has to do what they prefer. One of my toads was an '11 Honda CRV EX-L ALL WHEEL DRIVE and, it too was wired using the stock tail lights as toad lights.

Now, if, you'd like to do it this way, I'm sending along, a wiring schematic that I drew up, specifically for the CRV but, it will work with just about any toad out there, in the pre-'12 versions. I say that because, 2012 and up year model toads that are flat towable, can and most likely will have, "CAN-BUSS" or, "MULTIPLEX" wiring systems in there. And, using my way of wiring the toad lights, can wreak havoc on the system.

But, the pre-'12 models have no issue with that way of wiring them. Many guys have heart attacks when they think of using the stock tail light bulbs as toad lights. They think the entire Honda fleet will burn up if that's done that way. Well, that of course, is up to them, to think that way.

In any case, since you've got a "combined" turn/brake signal, for each side, on/in your RV trailer plug, what you'd need in wiring the Honda correctly is, another tail light converter that will then, separate the combi-turn/brake signal, into two different signals, so that, your AMBER turn lights on your CRV will activate when your turn signals on the coach are activated and, that your brake lights on the toad, including the "third" one, will be activated when the brake lights on the coach are activated. But, this tail light converter I mention, will need to be put on the Honda, not the coach. You'll see that in the picture below.

I hope I've done you some good in this explanation. Good luck and, do ask if there's something I might have missed.
Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the diagram showing how the converter is wired into the towed wiring. I have one question. In the diagram, the red stop light wire from the converter seems to go back to the yellow left turn wire as well as down to the three brake light bulbs. Is this correct? Or is it just a mistake on the diagram? I assume the latter?

Jack
__________________

__________________
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lights, wiring



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.