Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Like to know if this Jeep can be towed? Pictured

Can a Jeep like this one be towed flat on all 4 wheels even if it has a custom bumper and a winch on it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. You may need to have an extended hitch receiver from the tow vehicle so it trails behind you father to make turning corners not a problem. Check with Blue Ix--they know their product and towing.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If the transmission/transfer case are such that it can be put into neutral while towing then yes you can tow.

Height might be a problem was they recommend a maximum difference of ~4" between the RV and toad to keep the tow bar essentially level. You may have to use a drip receiver upside down to get the height of the RV hitch level with the jeep. This may require a combination of hitches, which may extend the hitch on the RV to a point it drags easily.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuddy View Post
Can a Jeep like this one be towed flat on all 4 wheels even if it has a custom bumper and a winch on it?

RV Buddy,
That model Jeep, is called the "JK". It was manufactured from '97 to present. The models prior were called the "TJ". They came with a transfer case called the "231" if any other than a Rubicon. The Rubies came with their own transfer case called the 241OR.

But, both models of transfer case are set up to be flat towed, with no troubles. Both are fitted with a small, thin, about the size of a DVD and a little over 1/2" thick, oil pump, in the rear tail cone section that, when the rear drive shaft turns (as in flat towing) it turns the tail shaft of the transfer case which, in turn, turns the oil pump which, lubes all the components, gears and bearings inside that transfer case.

It doesn't matter what kind of transmission it has. It can have a stick or Auto. If it's a stick, it gets put into gear, usually 2nd for towing. If it's an Auto, it gets put in to park. Now, I'm all that familiar with the JK models so, I'm assuming that the transfer cases have not been changed too much so, I'm also assuming that they're flat towable.

Now, hooking that particular Jeep up with a tow bar is going to be a tiny bit of a challenge. I've had seven Jeeps and towed them all over the planet with various configured front ends (bumper styles, lifts, winches, clevis's, tow hooks and more) and sometimes, it's bit of a challenge to setup the tow bar brackets. I never bothered with any "base plate" 'cause they would never have gone onto any of our Jeeps due to too much modifications so, I made all my own tow bar setups.

But, that's all really that you need to worry or, think about. What ever it takes to get the tow bar brackets setup correctly and be able to endure the push/pulling of that 4500 (or more) pound Jeep.

As for towing height vs the hitch/receiver height, that's easy. You just need to get a riser for your tow bar to end up as close to level as possible. They're sold in various places and, if you cannot find one that rises enough to make your tow bar level, get one made. Most fabrication shops can handle that very easily. The good part about getting one made is, you can then set up your tow bar to be dead nuts level. That's important for most folks. If it's close, it's good enough for me.

I don't know how much you know about those kinds of tires but, those will be seriously noisy when driving the Jeep. Not so much when towing it 'cause it's way behind you. They won't hinder any part of towing. We've had them all, Mud & Snow, All-Terrains, in between and more and, they all towed just fine. Good luck.

Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Scott, I'm sure you meant to say 07 to present for the JK. Slip of the ol' typing fingers. :=)
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
Scott, I'm sure you meant to say 07 to present for the JK. Slip of the ol' typing fingers. :=)
Dan,
Yep, you are exactly correct. Man it's bitc.. getting old. I knew what I was saying to myself but, the linkage from the brain to the digits had/have some short circuits every once in a while (usually more often). In re-reading my post, I also meant to say I'm "NOT" all that familiar with the JK model so.....

I forgot the "NOT". Another Freudian slip. Thank you for catching me on that.
Scott
Old 08-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott, I believe that my Roadmaster Sterling tow bar says you can be within 3" of level and still be OK.
Steve
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

If the bumper is strong enough and securely bolted to the frame and if the D-Rings are rated for towing you can get adapters to attach a tow bar to them and eliminate the base plate. You need to check with the bumper manufacturer about those issues. Who makes the bumper?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If the bumper is strong enough and securely bolted to the frame and if the D-Rings are rated for towing you can get adapters to attach a tow bar to them and eliminate the base plate. You need to check with the bumper manufacturer about those issues. Who makes the bumper?
Had a buddy of mine just do that. He had/has D-ring tabs welded onto the front of his Jeep bumper very similar to what's pictured and, he had adapters made for his tow bar. It ran him about $150-$200 for those but, it sure made things simple. All he does is, install the adapters, hook up the tow bar and, he's off.

When arrived at destination, off come the adapters, back on the D-rings and, he's off to Jeeping in never-never land.
Scott
Old 08-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Remember some early model jk's were two wheel drive and not flat towable (a sin, I know). But that's not the case here as you can see the front diff in the photo.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd be curious to know if it will track straight and not wander around as it is being pulled.

Tags
tow