Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Linear relationship?

I have a slightly different question regarding the age-old problem of what to tow or can it be towed.

Our 32' Southwind (Triton v10) quite happily pulls a 2012 Escape (~3300 lb). I'd like to pull a pickup instead, so as to also be able to carry an ATV.

If I drive the m/h up my favourite hill with and without the toad, and measure the difference in time, can that difference be extrapolated against the greater weight of the p/u and its load? I.E. if the p/u, loaded, weighs twice as much as the Escape, will the extra time be twice the current increment?

The simple answer would appear to be yes, since hp is just a measure of work done and more work will take more time. Once transmissions get into the equation do things become more complicated? Differences in wind resistance will be trivial.

For this discussion let's presume that braking systems, gcwr etc. are all within acceptable limits.

TIA for your collective wisdom.
O2
Oliver II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
It is more of a MH chassis problem and not the motor. Depending on the chassis, you are probably limited to a max of 5,000 tow.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
It is more of a MH chassis problem and not the motor. Depending on the chassis, you are probably limited to a max of 5,000 tow.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if a 32' Southwind had a 10K hitch which would be required to pull a pick up with an ATV in the back. I have an aluminum F150 Supercrew 4X4 and it weighs 4800 empty. Throw in some gas and the ATV and you are looking at well north of 5000 lbs which is the weight limit for the hitch on most smaller coaches have.

On edit: Can you get an ATV into a smaller pickup like the Colorado? A 4X4 Colorado extended cab weighs about 4300 lbs empty. It's not much lighter than the aluminum bodied F150 which is why I ended up with a Ford instead of Chevy, but it might be less than 5000 lbs with the ATV.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

You've missed the question. I used the numbers as examples, with the qualifier that we should assume gcwr etc are within acceptable parameters.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
No, it's not going to be linear. It'll be an increasing curve. At some point, you won't be able to pull the hill at all and the time goes to infinite. So double the towing weight will more than double the incremental time.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

FlyingDiver is correct, of course, but over a relatively modest range the hill-climbing performance is probably close to linear. If your rig is 20k lbs + a 4k toad, and you increase that to a 5k toad, you increased the direct load on the engine by 1k/24k or about 4%. That has little meaning on the straight & level, but when climbing the hill every bit of that extra has to be carried to the top. The problem is, what does that 4% do to the overall performance?

Toad vs no-toad changes more than just weight - it adds wind resistance and tire friction. However, increasing the weight of the toad probably doesn't change the wind resistance, but a different shape toad may well do that. And a heavier toad has only a tiny effect of tire rolling resistance, but a bigger toad probably has bigger tires and THAT almost surely changes things a bit. And so on... So if you added 1000# of bricks to the existing toad, the results are perhaps predictable, but changing toads to a heavier vehicle type throws everything up for grabs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

Oliver II-

Test, and let us know the results.

<edit>I'll be interested in how you control for initial conditions.</edit>
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the relationship is not linear but will be on a slight curve. As the weight increases the performance will expodentally decrease.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Personally, I think it will be an exponential shape curve. Every vehicle has a max speed, all the various types of resistance add up and quickly as speed increases, few vehicles can get much over 100MPH. I suppose you could make some inferences by monitoring your mileage on flat and on hill both with and without your toad. Try to get an idea of the rate of mileage decline as the hill angle increases. Then make the curve appropriately steeper for the heavier load.
Also where the hill is located will make a big difference. Going up the Ike in the Rockies will probably not be an enjoyable ride!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am qualified to answer this...because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

The problem I see is the transmission will be shifting differently.

Look at it this way, if you kept your speed at 10mph, both the light and heavy vehicle would take the same time to climb the hill...but the engine would be doing different amounts of work coupled with the transmission shift points changing.

At 55 mph, with wind, rolling resistance, transmission shifts, limited RPM I don't see a simple prediction....I would not risk buying a new vehicle based on this guess.

It would be interesting to try a hill climb with empty Black & Gray tanks, then same test with full tanks. If you added 100 gal of water, that would be 834 lbs. extra. Could even include diesel fuel to vary the weight (7lb per gal)

But it is a very interesting question....

Dan
Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No, it's not going to be linear. It'll be an increasing curve. At some point, you won't be able to pull the hill at all and the time goes to infinite. So double the towing weight will more than double the incremental time.
Agreed. No engine or driveline has an unlimited capacity to move a large weight.

My experience with towing various loads behind a car or SUV has been that the vehicle is generally good at pulling 1/2 the rated load and beyond that there is usually a big reduction in performance - handling, fuel economy, etc. Is the m/h likely to show the same characteristic if I increase the load significantly beyond that of my beloved Escape?