Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Loading car onto tow dolly in driveway

I have a 31' MH, an Eze-Tow dolly, and a smart car. I want to be able to have everything loaded and hooked up the night before for an early morning departure. The problem is, if my MH is pulled far enough forward to leave room behind for the dolly & car, then it's nose down in the driveway. This raises the hitch, which lowers the back of the dolly. Loading could still be accomplished without a problem, though, especially since the loading ramps are detached. However, I'm wondering what effect it might have on the car/tie-down straps once I've departed the driveway & everything is on level ground again. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic, but my thought is that with the front wheels strapped down on the dolly, and the tongue of the dolly raised, as the MH returns to level ground, the car would just basically rotate on the front axle, without causing any stress on the chassis or loosening the straps, etc. Does that make sense? Any thoughts? Am I missing something, or is this how it would work? I appreciate your thoughts! I just don't want to do anything that might cause undue stress and damage the chassis.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

it will rotate bout the axle, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to go thru dips and over bumps.

You'll need to check straps after a few miles regardless of the load geometry.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
it will rotate bout the axle, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to go thru dips and over bumps.

You'll need to check straps after a few miles regardless of the load geometry.
As said above. It'll tie down tight and rotate with the axle.

I'd confirm all good once you pull down out of the driveway and then regular checks as you stop every few hours. They will loosen a bit with starting out and braking. It's not loosening that you need to worry about so much as the shifting of the straps. You want to make sure they stay positioned right on the inside and that they aren't chaffing against wheel components. This will cause wear and eventual failure.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your really still concerned put the car in neutral then back in park after you are out of the driveway. I assume the S car is front drive.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I have the EZ Tow hitch and love it. As previously stated, after a few miles you need to re-tighten the straps so I don't see a problem. I have an inclined driveway too, but opposite from yours as mine is uphill facing, but when i reach the top and level, i usually re-check the straps.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
If your really still concerned put the car in neutral then back in park after you are out of the driveway. I assume the S car is front drive.
Nope - the smart car is rear wheel drive, and the US versions are towable 4-down. If the tow dolly has removable ramps then it CAN be put on the dolly, but if the ramps are fixed then they are most likely too long to fit between the smart's wheelbase. The only advantage I can see to using a dolly with a smart car is to save the cost of a tow bar installation.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Nope - the smart car is rear wheel drive, and the US versions are towable 4-down. If the tow dolly has removable ramps then it CAN be put on the dolly, but if the ramps are fixed then they are most likely too long to fit between the smart's wheelbase. The only advantage I can see to using a dolly with a smart car is to save the cost of a tow bar installation.
Well I'll be darned, smarter than it looks
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
The only advantage I can see to using a dolly with a smart car is to save the cost of a tow bar installation.
Actually, there IS another advantage. When you have a big Great Dane that you sometimes take camping with you, and you want to go out sightseeing, or to dog parks, or to festivals, etc., and you want to take the Dane with you, and there's no WAY he's gonna fit in my smart car, along with me & my wife. :>) So......when we take him along, we take the '05 Chevy Aveo, automatic, front drive transaxle, with isn't towable 4-down, and Remco doesn't even make a transmission pump for that model. The only option for taking it along is a tow dolly, and why have a tow bar setup for the smart if you already have a tow dolly that you can use, WITH built in surge brakes.......just in case! :>)
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #9

Well, thanks to everyone for their replies and comments. I spent most of Father's Day working on this issue. Discovered that the 6" drop hitch on my motorhome made it too low to pull out of the driveway without dragging. Also dragged the bottom of the tow dolly. Not good! So.....I went and bought an adjustable drop/rise hitch by Reese, and that resolved the dragging problem, so long as I go out at just the right angle to the street. Worked with the dolly with no problem, now this coming Saturday morning will be the real test to see if I can get out of the driveway with the car on the dolly without dragging anything. :>) Wish me luck!!! :>)

Tags
dolly