Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Obviously you must leave a key in the ignition to prevent steering wheel lockup during 4 down towing. On my Explorer, I cannot get the electric doors to lock if there is a key in the ignition. So, every time we stop to eat, etc., I must remove the ignition key, lock the car, then re-activate the 'neutral tow' function before towing again (which involves starting the engine, put the tranny in N, step on brake, hold 4 X 4 Auto button). All this with a Blue Ox brake gizmo in the way.

Anyone find a way to get their locks to work while there is a key in the ignition?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Obviously you must leave a key in the ignition to prevent steering wheel lockup during 4 down towing. On my Explorer, I cannot get the electric doors to lock if there is a key in the ignition. So, every time we stop to eat, etc., I must remove the ignition key, lock the car, then re-activate the 'neutral tow' function before towing again (which involves starting the engine, put the tranny in N, step on brake, hold 4 X 4 Auto button). All this with a Blue Ox brake gizmo in the way.

Anyone find a way to get their locks to work while there is a key in the ignition?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #3

My Nissan Frontier will not lock if you use the switch inside the door when there is a key in the ignition, however it WILL lock if you use the remote to lock it. I wonder if your Explorer will lock if you lock it with a key from the outside or with a remote.
Kent & Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have the same problem with my Honda. I just use another set of keys to lock the door from the outside.

My HOnda will not lock with a key in the ignition using the remote. I guess thats a safety feature.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I'll try again. Mine has the remote keyless entry keypad on the door...never even noticed if there is a real lock for a key

I think I tried locking it with the remote key fob...would not lock.

Thanks, guys.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #6

On my Honda, the driver door will not lock all doors, with key in, but the passenger side will...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I never tried the passenger side because I lock that door from inside. I then can lock the drivers door with the key.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just use the "Valet Key" in the ignition, and lock the doors with my regular Key. I know it works, because I check the doors as I walk around the Toad to the RV door.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #9

I have the Honda 2005 CRV and the same as when I haf the Honda 1999 CRV you can lock the doors with a key in the ignition if you pull open the inside door handle on the drivers door and push down on the door lock (pop up part). The only thing is your remote will not work when a key is in the ignition, so you have to manually open the door with a key. I use my valet key in the ignition while towing with the door locked becasue I don't want to forget to lock the car when stopping.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My Liberty will not lock if I use the door locks so I have to use my wife's key.

Curious as to why you have to go thru that whole process if you remove the key? Is that something unique to your model car? I've towed 2 Jeeps and a Saturn without having to do that. When I stop and leave the vehicles I remove the key and set the parking brake. When I get back I put the key back to the on position, release the brake and go. The only reason I set the brake is in case someone wants to fool with the hookup they cannot move the car.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob:

Yes, the procedure is unique to the Ford Explorer 4X4. The 4WD computer is told to put the transfer case in neutral by following the steps I described. If you remove the key from the ignition, it de-activates the neutral tow so you have to re-program it again.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Obviously you must leave a key in the ignition to prevent steering wheel lockup during 4 down towing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I waited to verify this today before posting this,but on my 2005 Trailblazer I use the electronic four wheel drive button to put vehicle in neutral,then the instructions clearly say put transmission lever in park and turn key all the way off...I ;eft the keys in the ignition,but I'm thinking with the ignition off I could remove them.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob:

Have you towed the toad using this procedure???

I am not familiar with the Trailblaser setup, but on most vehicles, if you lock the ignition, it locks the steering wheel.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Pulled it all around town today,even sat in the seat and pulled on the steering wheel before getting out....IT was NOT locked.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote