Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

LOD bumper (or other) Safety Cable/Chain attachment on Jeep

Getting ready to set up our new to us '16 Rubicon as a toad. Instead of a baseplate, we've decided to install a LOD Destroyer bumper with the BlueOx towing kit.

My question for those of you using a "towing bumper:" have you devised or located another spot for the safety cables/chains to attach to the Jeep? I've never liked connecting the safety cables to the same thing (base plate or bumper) as that to which the tow bar is already connected.

Anyone putting d-rings or other types of attachment points on the frame to bypass the bumper or base plate for added safety? If you have, I'd appreciate your input and a photo if you have time. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #2

Blue Ox supplies a pair of short cables with screw connection links to wrap around the front cross member when you install their baseplates. You can download the installation instructions for the baseplate for your vehicle to see how they install. You can use those as a connection for your safety cables to the coach.

I'm doing the same as you with a winch bumper, albeit on a truck.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Getting ready to set up our new to us '16 Rubicon as a toad. Instead of a baseplate, we've decided to install a LOD Destroyer bumper with the BlueOx towing kit.

My question for those of you using a "towing bumper:" have you devised or located another spot for the safety cables/chains to attach to the Jeep? I've never liked connecting the safety cables to the same thing (base plate or bumper) as that to which the tow bar is already connected.

Anyone putting d-rings or other types of attachment points on the frame to bypass the bumper or base plate for added safety? If you have, I'd appreciate your input and a photo if you have time. Thanks

I used a pair of Recovery Loops from a mid 2000 Toyota SR5. My nephew had just finished putting 2.5 ton Rockwell axles under a Yoda and he had them in his junk bucket. They are steel and about 8mm thick. They bolt to the frame using the factory jeep bolts that hold the bumper to the frame. They are pretty solid for sure.

Sorry I dont have Ny good pictures of them attached to my jeep but here is one pic showing what they look like on a Toyota.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8350.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	232654

And here is a couple of not so good pictures of my safety cable hooked up to the Toyota recovery loop bolted to my jeep.

Name:	IMG_8074.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	232655

Name:	IMG_8071.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	232656

Name:	IMG_7410.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	232657
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:

Petrel,
You may, or may not like this idea. Our Jeep is a year older than yours. It's a '15 JKUR and, I've set it all up for towing. I used Smittybilt MOD bumpers, front and rear and use the recovery tabs for attaching my tow bar. But, for attaching the safety cables, I utilize the lower cross member of the radiator. At each end, is a hole. I installed a 1/2" thick eye bolt in each end. Those are really not rated for a lot of strength. But, 5/8" versions will fit and they're rated for a lot more. And, it's not very hard to install them there. If you lay down and take a look at that area, it's stout enough to latch those 5/8" eyebolts to. I've only got one pic I can find. See if this interests you.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	232718  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the great ideas and photos. I definitely want the safety cables or chains anchored to the frame at a strong point. After reading the thread about the folks having their toad come loose, I want to be sure to have two independent connection points for the tow bar and the safety cables. I am even considering an upgrade to grade 80 1/2" chain to replace the safety cables.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Just an FYI, When I had to tow a 2014 Rubicon with an aftermarket bumper . The Blue Ox has the triple lugs at the end to attach normally. To attach to the bumper like some of the pictures above in post #3, you need to change those two ends out.... Its +$200... yeah I agree Its a lot, and a unexpected cost, and I didn't know about till late in the game. Maybe you already have these. If so than this is information for someone else to read.

Here it is on Amazon for $217.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FQMCWTW841W11C

I don't know how to include pictures in my posts yet.

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #7

Yes, it is an added expense that could be easily overlooked. Fortunately, LoD's isn't quite as expensive, but seems like a very robust connection:https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep...aptor-kit.html
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, it is an added expense that could be easily overlooked. Fortunately, LoD's isn't quite as expensive, but seems like a very robust connection:https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep...aptor-kit.html
Petrel,
Well, it appears you've got your ducks all in order. The adapter brackets for the intended tow bar you show in the link above, are almost identical to the ones I and Tom use above. One of the things you need to realize (maybe you already do) is, just what is the "reported" failures of towing connections, vs the actual amount of vehicles being towed, across the nation? We read of an issue every now and then on here but, in reality, there's hundreds of thousands of coupled toads and coaches out there without a single issue, in thousands and thousand of tow miles. I don't have a clue as to how many actual disengagements have happened.

And, another thing, there's always the "human" factor or, "operator error" as it's sometimes labeled. But, aside from all that, it pays to make sure all the connection points are strong, tight and secured in a dependable manner. I think you got it figured all out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, safety