Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I used a relay on my Jeep to get around the brake light issue. If the key is off, the relay is open and does not allow any power to the brake lights, key is in accessory or run position, the relay is closed so the power flows. I have done this on 2 toads and have never had an issue with the brake lights, and I don't have to remember to flip a toggle switch. In my book the less I have to do, the less I have to forget.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I used a relay on my Jeep to get around the brake light issue. If the key is off, the relay is open and does not allow any power to the brake lights, key is in accessory or run position, the relay is closed so the power flows. I have done this on 2 toads and have never had an issue with the brake lights, and I don't have to remember to flip a toggle switch. In my book the less I have to do, the less I have to forget.
UsualSuspect,
That relay is a good plan. I'd have used one if I was smart enough to know how to wire it. I chose the toggle system 'cause it was the simplest remedy for me. I never did have any problem remembering to switch the toggle. It was all part of the prep for either towing or, driving the Jeep.

But, a question. Could that relay have been setup so that if, one was using a Ready Brake system or, any other braking system, and it pushed on the brake pedal, to relay the jeeps own brake light signal to the front of the coach, just like my toggle switch did?
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:01 AM   #17

Barmats- did you work with Shorewood RV in Anoka?
We test drove some Entegras up there last summer.

Put my favorite car dealer on notice for my Jeep wants. So we will see.

Only has taken me 40+ years to figure out, as much as we like it, that winter is too long in WI.
Tom
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #18

Hi Tom - we test drove a '15 Entegra Aspire last summer at Shorewood RV but then found a '16 Aspire at the Pomona RV show in the fall. Shorewood had no '16s available, and didn't know when they would, so we ended up negotiating a very good price with the CA dealer. We drove it home to MN the following week. Shorewood was understandably not too thrilled to lose the sale, but understood the circumstances. They are doing our warranty service (slide failure and front cap replacement), winterization and storage. I wish they were closer than 45 miles, but they are the nearest Entegra dealer to us.

Agree about the Midwest winters. 7 months of snow and cold is about 6 months too long!

-Barry
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #19

Barry, thanks for the info on Shorewood. They are the closest dealer for us, I think the factory is actually closer. Seem like pretty good people to deal with so far but it's always hugs and kisses on the first date. We will be back up in the spring to review/test drive again.
Tom
Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
Scott - you essentially wired in a "manual" diode by using a SPDT switch. I considered doing that as well but figured one day I would forget to flip the switch one way or the other and something wouldn't light up like it was supposed to. Being new to RV-ing, I figured anything I could do to make it easier for myself was probably a good thing!

Minnesota is very pretty in the summer... for the few months that it lasts. And the mosquito is our state bird. We moved here about 25 years ago for work, and have grown to intensely dislike the winter season. We're actually looking at homes like yours in the Lake Havasu City area because they are in the right part of the country (warm), and have beautiful RV garages. I can't imagine how nice it must be to keep your RV with you, and be able to use it and work on it whenever you want. We've looked at homes in other states like FL, NV and CA, and found a community in Indio, CA where a large percentage of the homes have attached RV garages. Cost of living in CA is relatively high, and although it's become one of our favorite vacation spots, just seems so far west from what we're used to. If we end up near you, I'll definitely let you know!

-Barry
Barry,
This may be off target as far as the original post topic is but, since you brought up thoughts of moving from MN, I can vouch for two of the places you mentioned. One is CA, we lived there since I was born, approximately (don't tell anyone) 60 years ago. After putting up with tons and tons of things that were causing me to almost go "Postal", we finally settled on Lake Havasu City AZ for for a few reasons.

1. It's close to relatives in CA
2. It's not nearly as populated as, where we came from and, many other potential places of interest we were thinking about
3. It's SERIOUSLY cheaper than many places we considered. And that includes vehicle insurance, home owners insurance, groceries, gas, HOMES and property, and more.
4. The home we purchased, is brand new and, like stated, it came with 16' wide, 53' long RV garage attached. I was not going to move and go through the hassle of moving, if I could not end up with what we have.

Our home, as stated, was brand new when we moved in. The same home in CA, where we came from, would be well over double the price, equipped the way this one is. If you'd like any particular info, PM me and, I'd be glad to help.
Scott

It's kind of funny you thinking of moving from Minnesota. Our neighbors across the street are snow birds from MN. And, our neighbors behind us, WERE snow birds from MN but now are permanent Lake Havsuians. It seems tthat, most of the state of MN is in Havasu during this time of the season.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Have to chuckle at your snowbirds discussion
Saw this a long time ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SouthRetirement.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	117965  
Old 02-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
Since I do a lot of offroading I went with RockHard because the attachments were up on the bumper. It also allows the warn Power Plant to sit down inside the bumper instead of on top. Barmats, remember the higher you move your attachments up on the bumper the more drop hitch you will need to keep the tow bar level.
I'm going with the RockHard front bumper also. Got the rear RockHard bumper/tire rack/jerry can holder on before we left for the winter. Will do the front when we get back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151221_102910.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	117966  
Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #23

FIRE UP-I've PM'd you but there is some security thing in place now that won't let me send it. I'll keep trying but meanwhile I'm doing a short trail today.

Addendum: It went through now. Disregard message.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
FIRE UP-I've PM'd you but there is some security thing in place now that won't let me send it. I'll keep trying but meanwhile I'm doing a short trail today.

Addendum: It went through now. Disregard message.
aauummm,
I got the PM but, it was only what I had originally written to you, there was no comment from you on it, if there was supposed to be.
Scott

P.S. At present, I'm using Google Chrome which, by-passed this security issue that my other brower, I. E. 10 is haveng issues with on IRV2. Yep, I saw that issue too and, just shut the whole system down and cruised on over to Google Chrome to get things done.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
aauummm,
I got the PM but, it was only what I had originally written to you, there was no comment from you on it, if there was supposed to be.
Scott

P.S. At present, I'm using Google Chrome which, by-passed this security issue that my other brower, I. E. 10 is haveng issues with on IRV2. Yep, I saw that issue too and, just shut the whole system down and cruised on over to Google Chrome to get things done.
I hear ya. I thought the "I'm not a robot" check box was really cute, except when I checked the box and submitted it, it took me to a blank page and just sat there. I resent the original PM just a bit ago and it went through fine..

Tags
install, led, tow