Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

Long drop hitch ball mount concern

We decided the golf cart on a trailer isn't working out for us. The golf cart is great around the campground but, even though it's street legal, we feel very vulnerable on the public roadways.
We are going to tow our 2010 Mini cooper. It is an automatic, so, after much research, including this forum, decided on the Acme Eztow dolly. Now, this is my concern. My National Dolphin's hitch is 24" off the ground, so I will need a 10" drop ball mount to get the dolly tongue at the recommended 14" height so the surge brakes will be the most efficient. I spoke with Acme and they said it would not be a problem. However, I have read some, that the longer the drop, the more leverage/force on the receiver, which can effectively lower your hitch rating. The ball mount I'm looking at is a Smittybilt Smittybilt Part s/b2910 - 10 inch Drop Ball Mount-RH3

For the record, I'm currently towing the golf cart on a 5x10 utility trailer, using a 6" drop (really need an 8" to be level) and a 12" hitch extender to get the trailer a correct distance from the M/H. Over 1,200 mile with no problems, even though I read the hitch extender also lowers your rated hitch capacity.

Your thoughts, or am I worrying nedlessly?

Thanks.

PS: the Acme dolly weighs 405lbs and the Mini weighs about 2700lbs with the automatic trans.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Keep in mind that the farther behind the wheels the more apt you are to have it dig into the pavement on a drop.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would keep looking at tow dollies.. They make one that has a "Tong" that looks a bit like the following ASCII drawing
. . ___
__/ Disregard the periods Car on left, MH on right
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
mini on a dolly

The first thing you need to do is see what hitch height will let you load the Mini the tilt of the ramps need to be right on or you will drag your front end. I use a Kar Kaddy and it is 16 " road height it just bearly clears.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

The Acme does not have a tilting pan and uses separate ramps, they are not connected to the dolly, so the height of the tongue and resultant angle issues does not apply to this unit. To load, they state you need to be on level ground with the tongue at an "ideal" height of 14". When I spoke to Acme, they said the tongue could be from 12"-16", but 14" is ideal. Given the 24" height of my receiver, I'm going to need a long drop no matter the dolly brand. So, my real concern is that is there going to be a lessened effective towing weight capacity?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #6

11" drop and like you, didn't like the idea of all that hanging down... unsupported.
3/4" chromoly and chromoly rod ends and grade 8 bolts.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Thanks for all the responses. Dunner, I like what you did, that will certainly prevent unwanted force on the hitch and mount.
Wyatt
PS, I found another ball mount at etrailer.com that has a cushioned spacer inside the square tube where the hitch pin goes. Any idea if this is really an improvement? Costs about three times the Smittybilt mount.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATS on the wise decision to dolly tow and to use an Acme EZE-Tow! Your Toad will be very happy, up high away from rock strikes and saving the miles from the driveline and possible issues at resale!

I have an Acme EZE-Tow, connected to a receiver that like your RV is 24" off the ground.

I didn't want to use the 10" drop hitch for the exact reasons you explain, so I am using a 8" drop hitch with no problems after over 10,000miles on my EZE-Tow. Yes, the surge brakes work perfectly, even with a slight nose high aspect.

No disrespect to Dunner's Awesome set-up - that, I am sure adds a bunch of weight capacity to the Class III receiver

Yes, the dolly's tongue is "slightly" nose high (about 16" from the ground), but this only helps to avoid the bottom of the drop hitch from contact with the roadway while entering/exiting driveway's. And, the front of the carry tray on the dolly is slightly higher, ensuring the toad NEVER tries to climb over the tray (even if the straps get loose).

I have had the drop hitch contact the ground only 1 time, but that was because midway through a turn from a driveway, a car cut us off causing me to make the turn at more of straight exit than I wanted. WHAT A TERRIBLE NOISE IT MADE - OH WELL - I stopped and checked, finding no noticeable damage to the bottom of the drop hitch.

Be sure to unlock your toad's steering to allow the set-up to turn (just like any 4down toad) - and check your tie-down straps for tightness often (just like any dolly or open trailer)

The insulated hitch will provide little improvement with an RV...much more noticeable with a light pick-up.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dunner , that is a good and simple solution for any one who has a drop hitch
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #10

No offense taken. I don't think it adds weight capacity, just a "warm fuzzy".
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #11

Scarab0088,
thanks for the great info. Acme says 16" is within the range and I like the idea that the load angle would be slightly steeper, but do you worry about the opposite, that the car can slip rearward? I know tight straps and safety chains will eliminate this, but there was another thread re the Acme where the poster said his vehicle was slipping rearward.
Thanks, Wyatt
Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt earp View Post
Scarab0088,
thanks for the great info. Acme says 16" is within the range and I like the idea that the load angle would be slightly steeper, but do you worry about the opposite, that the car can slip rearward? I know tight straps and safety chains will eliminate this, but there was another thread re the Acme where the poster said his vehicle was slipping rearward.
Thanks, Wyatt
I have never had a problem with the toad slipping rearward. I believe that is because I never accelerate hard and breaking pressures (toward the front) are always greater.

Yes, the straps will prevent creeping to the rear, but even when my straps have loosened between checks, I have not had a problem.

At 16" hitch height, the dolly is only slightly nose high. More than that could become an issue, but I have no experience with that.

Best of luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote