Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A couple were just unhooking their toad here at Cummins and it rolled backwards about 200', driver's door and rear hatch open, making a backwards left turn going around my coach and GMC, jumping the curb, and stopping just short of the large Cummins sign.

Missed me by 20'.

Moral of the story;

Thou shalt not pull the pins on the tow bar before securing thy toad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A couple were just unhooking their toad here at Cummins and it rolled backwards about 200', driver's door and rear hatch open, making a backwards left turn going around my coach and GMC, jumping the curb, and stopping just short of the large Cummins sign.

Missed me by 20'.

Moral of the story;

Thou shalt not pull the pins on the tow bar before securing thy toad.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

Moral of the story;

Thou shalt not pull the pins on the tow bar before securing thy toad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately a lesson seemed only learned the hard way! Glad all are okay . . .
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Saw a similar sight when a guy unhooked a TT on a slope near Lake Hartwell. Interesting few seconds as the trailer slowly rolled back. He managed to get it stopped when it hit level ground and nearly stopped on it's own. 150 pound man grabbing a 30 foot travel trailer and trying to hold it!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the first instruction in the owner's manual is "set parking brake." Aah, who reads owner's manuals.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Rule # 2, unhook safety cable last!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
paz

I have forgotten to put the toad in park and set the brake once or twice. Fortunately, it was always on level ground.

I find a good reminder is if the pins are hard to pull, it means there is tension on the tow bar. That is a good time to stop and check the parking brake.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wouldn't the break away switch stop the vehicle???

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

Moral of the story;

Thou shalt not pull the pins on the tow bar before securing thy toad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have been there and done that! Several years ago we came to the old Silverton RV park in Las Vegas, which is now closed, from Green River UT.

It was a blistering hot day and I pulled in to my site and got the power on and decided to unhook the toad as it was a little out in street.

The Silverton had raised sites for the RV but the toad was on the down slope to rear. I had the old Stowmaster tow bar with tongue. In the haste of the hot summer and wanting to get it done in a hurry. I unhooked the cables and pulled the tongue off the ball, and there I was holding a 3000 pound Honda. I dug in my heels and no one was in sight anywhere. I could not let go as the car was headed straight back to a big Bluebird.

So I grunted and pulled and in what seemed like an eternity I got that sucker back on the hitch ball! I figured that was my cardiac test as I was near collapse!

So I will never disconnect those safety cables, even on perfectly level ground, until I go back and get the car emergency brake on securely!!!

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
cwg

I was at Tiger Run in Breckenridge last summer and watched a gentleman attempt to move his nice stacker forward to a slightly different parking area --- he used his tow vehicle and hooked up the safety chains. Upon moving forward, the chains slipped off or broke from the hitch on the tow and the stacker started a reverse course down the pavement towards major damage. I was able to grab something like a small piece of railroad tie and catch up with moving trailer and get it braced. Needless to say, he was very relieved and appreciative.

I will bet he won't try that maneuver again.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sage advise Dirk, thank you. Kinda puts a whole new slant of being thrown under the bus.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wouldn't the break away switch stop the vehicle??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If they already unhooked the safety cables, they probally already unhooked the breakaway cable also, so no signal would be sent to the aux brake unit.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I forgot to add that the canvas tool bag on the hood of the runaway toad was a nice touch.