Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Looking at 2015 Hyundai Elentra GLS or...

Does anyone tow a manual Hyundai ? We've been searching for a 4 door toad. This is our first one, we're new at all of this lol. We were going to trailer my VW Eos, but after reading the forums (thanks for all the info) we have decided to flat tow. We are also looking are a Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus- interested in any experience, advice and opinion. Next question will be tow bar, brakes etc.
thanks,
Regina
Ladybuglv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The 'bible' of what cars can be towed 4 down is the Motorhome magazine annual list.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Towing 4 down is easier than dealing with a tow dolly, but more expensive and limits you to the one modified vehicle.

Any car you're thinking about on the above list, verify by looking up the Owner's manual and reading it in the manual. Don't go by salesperson's or other 'expert's' word.

Also make sure a base plate is available for a model you're about to buy. Use Google to find the various manufacturers of towing equipment. Buying tow bars or brake systems on Craig's list, Ebay, etc. can also get you in the game at reduced expenditure. I got a Blue Ox tow bar from Craig's List for $150 and a Roadmaster brake system for $300 from Ebay, so bargains can be found.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think all of the manual trans are towable 4 down and none of the auto trans on both Hyundai and sister car Kia, I know the newer Ford Focas auto is towable but you would need to see a tow chart or check the owners manual, some Toyota manuals are but not any autos with out after market lube pump.
You really need to go to the Motorhome Mag tow chart or the FMCA chart and do a little research .
It's avoiding to the type coach gas or diesel a lot of the diesel can use air actuated system and it would be very expensive to rig in a gas coach, ready brake and RVi makes a good toad brake that will work well on both.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

I've been towing a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE with the 6 speed manual transmission since February 2014. We use the Blue Ox Aladdin towbar and Patriot brake. No problems over 30,000 miles.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Toad information

We have been using the dinghy guide instantly to narrow down the field of possibilities. So many jeeps being flat towed, but I've had some back surgeries, and not sure the jeep is the right vehicle for me.

Thanks for all the advice and information.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Then I suggest that you look at the Ford Edge it is one of the best I have ever towed for comfort quietness of ride and simple to hook up for tow but you will need a charge line for long trips. Your coach can tow up to 5000 lb according to the specs and the Edge is under that.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks !