Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #15

By nature the 7-blade connector has a scraping action each time the plug is inserted which is a cleaning action for the contacts. So with a cover, a 7-blade receptacle should last a long time. The plugs tend not to last as long, no cover.

The 6-pin round connectors are terrible. The spring action comes from the pins having a split in them with an outward pressure against the sleeve connectors. Over time the springiness of the pins fades and the poor contact pressure allows corrosion to build.

The ideal setup would be a 7-blade connector at the toad end but the receptacle is very bulky and not pleasant to look at when not i use.

Since we only need four wires, we set up the toad connector to be easily replaced every other year with flat-4 connectors.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Mark,

How long have you had it? I bought a couple of new ends for now, but I may replace it when I'm in warmer climes.
Paul-

Not long, really. Both receptacles went through 8,000 miles in three-and-a-half months last Winter. The ProPlug got sold with the coach in June. I still have the Hopkins receptacle on the toad and the cable, so there's a chance we'll put more miles on them both.

One thing I did NOT like about the Hopkins receptacle is how difficult it was to put the rear cover on. An extra quarter-inch in the cover depth would have helped.

Pictures are below. The toad receptacle picture is missing its fourth mounting bolt, as I took the picture before I finished the wiring.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_ProPlug_1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	112951   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_ProPlug_2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	112952  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopkins_Endurance.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	112953  
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I'm tired of the excitement each time I hook up of finding out if my connections work. The typical 7 pin on the MH and 6 pin on the toad are just plain bad. They get dirty and wet, corrode, are hard to clean, and don't provide a positive connection.

I'm looking at the ez connector system http://ezconnector.com/ but before going to the trouble of wiring it in I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with it, or an alternative that works better than the normal crappy connectors sold by RV places.
I used it on a travel trailer a few years back. It works very well as the magnet that holds it on is VERY strong. Only problem I had is that I have arthritis in my hands and wrists and it could be hard to pull out. I used a large screwdriver as a pry bar and it made it pretty easy.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #18

jrwitt - thanks for the report.

Given the crappy weather here at this time of year and the fact that the coach is stored about 40 minutes away, I've done what I can from the comfort of my home and for the lowest cost. I've re-wired the Blue Ox cable with two new Pollak ends.

I'll see how that works out and if I'm not completely happy I'll replace the coach end with a ProPlug, possibly in January when I'm down south and lying on the ground is not such a hardship!
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #19

Thanks for posting about this plug. I too am having problems with my 7 pin and definitely need something better. I'd really like to see it before I buy though. Perhaps someone in the Big Tent at Quartzsite will be selling them this year.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Thanks for posting about this plug. I too am having problems with my 7 pin and definitely need something better. I'd really like to see it before I buy though. Perhaps someone in the Big Tent at Quartzsite will be selling them this year.
Well Pigman,
We've been the big "Q" several times and, I cannot remember any vendors selling or advertising any replacement or aftermarket 7-pin plugs other than Blue Ox in their booth, selling the original ones. But, that doesn't mean none were there, it just means I don't remember any. We'll more than likely be there too, especially since it's only about 1.5 hours from us.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote