Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

Looking for a High Weight Rating Hitch Pin

i have never thought the hitch pin could play such a critical role in my life... yesterday evening on i-15 near baker, on a mild uphill section, i heard a boom sound from behind and on backup camera i saw a stream of sparks jumping around in front of my toad. i immediately moved to the shoulder, and came down to check it out - man, the only thing linking the coach and toad were two safety cables. the 2x2 hitch insert was dragged on floor. from the sound and sudden sparks, it appeared the pin was sheared off. luckily, no accident was caused and no damage to either vehicle. it could have been much worse.

now i want to use a highly reliable hitch pin with at least 10000 lbs rating. has anyone had experience on this? any info is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pulling a Honda Fit and sheared the receiver hitch pin?!

So glad to read no one was injured and the toad stayed with you on the safety chains

I guess a hitch pin could shear if it is loose in the pin hole or after years of wear...anything is possible.
But, I submit that unless you found the pin and confirmed that it had sheared, it is more likely that it dropped the safety pin and came out from typical vibration.

We use a locking hitch pin from master lock...that thing is never coming off.
I have never heard of a hitch pin having a weight rating...

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

thanks steve. You might be right about the possibilities. it was dark i surely couldn't trace the pin. i was thinking the same, a fit is only about 2600 lbs. how much the force would be needed to shear a 5/8" dia. metal bar on both ends? but lesson is learned. i would like to pursue the best brand, if no weight rating, not the generic ones from harbor freight or so.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been towing TT's and toweds since 1957, have never had a pin break, even the cheap Harbor Freight ones.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
thanks steve. You might be right about the possibilities. it was dark i surely couldn't trace the pin. i was thinking the same, a fit is only about 2600 lbs. how much the force would be needed to shear a 5/8" dia. metal bar on both ends? but lesson is learned. i would like to pursue the best brand, if no weight rating, not the generic ones from harbor freight or so.
I agree with Steve. I don't see how the pin could have sheared off. I think it just fell out.

I also use the locking pins so no one will walk off with our tow bar. We've been towing a 1/2 ton pickup and 2 different 4,000 lb SUVs with the same pins for 10 years and 78,000 miles, and there isn't even a sign of wear on the pins.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You may want to check with eTrailer. My towed is heavy at almost 7.5k, and almost all the pins I found were Class I, II, and III, but no Class IV rating on them. I needed them for the 2" raise I needed to get from an extension. eTrailer had them and I bought 3, never hurts to have a spare.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #7

thank you everyone!!
both autozone and oreiley's carry a reese 5/8" class v pin, but the end is a groove the clip goes on; don't think it's good. just checked etrailer, there are a few class v with lock, sounds good. i am going to order a few there. thanks usualsuspect for the lead.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Looking for a High Weight Rating Hitch Pin

Had one nearly shear on a 26 foot TT. The trailer and hitch/pin were brand new. It was undersize in diameter and clunked back and forth. "It'll be ok.", said the salesman. Cut about 1/3 of the way through. We were on a trip and replaced it about 200 miles into the joirney. If I hadn't been worried enough to check on it there would have been an incident for sure.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 11-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
CountryFit, here is what I use, a Curt locking pin and a receiver clamp.
Amazon.com: Curt 23575 Hitch Lock: Curt: Automotive
Amazon.com: StowAway Hitch Tightener: Automotive
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #10

Here is one for you all... I bought a Master brand locking for my new Ford. In 3k miles it's BENT! This is the correct pin for the new 2 1/2" receiver used with the Ford provided 2" to 2 1/2" adapter and an EZ lift hitch. TT weight 9900 lbs, not off road or anything out of the ordinary. That new diesel must be to blame! I'm getting ready to throw a tape measure on the TT to see if it may have stretched it as we'll!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #11

thank you all... i found this one on amazon which received a lot of excellent feedbacks. most importantly, it's made in the usa!!
http://www.amazon.com/C-T-Johnson-RH...pr_product_top
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #12

Locking pins are not fool (idiot) proof either. I have a set of Blue Ox and when I returned home from our last outing I found that one of the tow bar pins no longer had the locking cap on it. Fortunately, the pin had stayed jammed in place. I can only conclude that I ( the idiot) didn't get the cap securely locked when I snapped it on.

I shudder to think about what could have happened.

John

2015 American Revolution 42G

John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)

Tags
weight