Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #15

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We tow a Chevy Captiva. Easy to setup, pull 2 amp fuse, or install a switch, put in neutral, key in Accessory.

Captiva is a continuation of the Vue
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
The Captiva is a nice little size.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 4 wheel drive, that is required in order to get the active drive 2. We have the Limited model with the off road suspension.

We never plan on doing rough off roading or rock crawling so this model has all the off road capability that we need.

It is as easy to set up as any other Jeep, no fuse to pull, no need to stop and run the engine, none of that.

If you are looking for something that is very comfortable, quiet and luxurious with a moderately good off road capability the Cherokee is your car. The seats we have, the upgrade leather, are the most comfortable seats I have ever had. We are mostly in warm temperatures and the ventilated seats are a great option.

We have the 6 cylinder engine and averaging over 25 mpg. I think that is terrific.

We do a lot of touring on paved roads, lots of highway speeds and very little off roading. That is why we chose the Cherokee over the Wrangler. If we ever want to beat the crap out of the car doing rough off roading I will rent a Wrangler and save the abuse from our car.

One other note. If you do go the Jeep route, check out the Mopar max care lifetime extended warranty. We purchase this for $2,000. It covers almost everything for the life of the car in addition to some other great benefits.

Also, if you join the group Tread Lightly, check it out online, you will get an fantastic discount - price on the cars. It cost $100 to join but worth it. Some dealers may be willing to negotiate as good a deal without the membership but not in my area and not when we purchased the car, December 2013.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:38 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our pt is simple. Transmission in neutral, ignition key to 1st position, parking brake off and GO. Oh yeah make sure you have it hooked up. LOL
Should mention it is a 5 speed.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Me too for the Captiva! Great car for being towed.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #20

Thanks you all for directing me in good directions. I will be looking seriously this week.

I am not sure who said that the jeep wrangler is not a good car for daily driver is sooo right. I did not take that in to consideration. I will be doing loads of driving being that i work.
Karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Wrangler and drive it every day in the fall/winter when the Camaro ZL1 goes to bed for the winter. Cheap to run, comfy and lots of giddy up. If you find it small, get the bigger brother the Rubicon. You could be like my DW and get the Grand Cherokee SRT-that one gives it all!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a Cadillac SRX, mine is a 2013 and can be towed 4 down.

I just lift the cover off the shifter, take a screwdriver and push down in
an insert and put the shifter into neutral, that's all I have to do.

My Saturn required removing a fuse and putting it back to run it.

It does suggest you run the engine after so many hours of driving
and I do. But its easy to pull, easy to hookup. I made sure the
manual said this could be done before buying too.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
We tow a Chevy Captiva. Easy to setup, pull 2 amp fuse, or install a switch, put in neutral, key in Accessory.

Captiva is a continuation of the Vue
X2.
Ours tows with no problems. Same power train as a Equinox. Like our 2012 model so well we bought a 2015. But not set up for towing.
Be aware that 2015 is the last year for the Captiva. You can only buy one used. They were only sold to lease companies. Both of ours were bought with less than 18K miles and a full warranty.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #24

Check out the "Toads For Sale" on this forum!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Check out the "Toads For Sale" on this forum!!!
How about a link? http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showcat.php?cat=22
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #26

Nissan Frontier a Great Toad

I have been using a 2013 Nissan Frontier, 4 cylinder, standard transmission, seats 4, weighs Aprox
2800 lbs. Tracks well behind class A motor home. Easy to hook up and then put key to accessory position, place in neutral and go! We have sold our Coachmen, so the toad is for sale.
EduardoMaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #27

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeep is the way to go. We're on our second one and haven't had any issues at all with our Wranglers
Bobbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #28
jrs

Love my Liberty but Jeeps are poor when considering gas mileage. At this point I'm considering a manual Subaru. Plan on putting lots of mileage on the toad and the difference in MPG really adds up.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad