Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I'm throwing this question out to help try and narrow down the field for a tow bar. Just purchased a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with automatic trans. We got it to use as a toad for the RV,2005 KSDP. I have been looking at the Falcon 2 Tow Bar by Roadmaster. Being a newbie at all this I was wondering if I was headed in the right direction or I'm just spinning my wheels. Of course any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as any advice you all might have.
Thanks
Harry

King William, Va.
KOALAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'm throwing this question out to help try and narrow down the field for a tow bar. Just purchased a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with automatic trans. We got it to use as a toad for the RV,2005 KSDP. I have been looking at the Falcon 2 Tow Bar by Roadmaster. Being a newbie at all this I was wondering if I was headed in the right direction or I'm just spinning my wheels. Of course any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as any advice you all might have.
Thanks
Harry

King William, Va.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KOALAVA:
Of course any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as any advice you all might have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Harry, Welcome to iRV2.com I see by your post count that you're pretty new in these here parts and I just want to say again thanks for joining us.

Our major board sponsor is RV Upgrades.com and you can shop at your leisure and purchase on-line Blue Ox towing products, plus you can actually talk to somebody if you have any questions about Blue Ox.

Our esteemed owner "Bill" (Warpath) tows the same vehicle as you do and he's all hooked up using Blue Ox. One great thing about Blue Ox is that they "always" have field techs at the major FMCA and other rallies and select "NASCAR Races" for instance I know they'll be at the Texas Motor Speedway for the November race.

One of RV Upgrades major on-line competitors was Camper's Choice and they used to carry Blue Ox. Now that Camping World purchased "CC" that has removed that outlet for Blue Ox. There are many other sites you can check out BO on so give them a shot before you commit to your purchase.

I'm sure our sponsor RVUpg will appreciate your visit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #4

Here is a very good place to find used tow bars and brackets. Hitchtrader

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #5

Because a Blue Ox base plate was not available in our time frame we were forced to get a Falcon2 system. We've used it for 6 months and I have a number of issues that might be better addressed by Blue Ox. Please be aware that I have no experience with a BO system.

The sliding bars in the Falcon2 are exposed to the weather and seem to need frequent cleaning/lubricating. BO seems to protect their bars with an accordian type housing.

The attachment pins have the same problem. I don't know how the BO handles attaching.

I seem to have a hard time connecting the RV to the car unless they are pretty much lined up, centered, and at the same angle.

In general, I'm happy with the Falcon2 (read I won't spend the money to replace it).
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
You want the all-terrain Falcon 2 - - easier to hitch up when you aren't perfectly level and right behind the coach. I do the hitching, Dave does the BrakePro, and together we are ready (or uncoupled) in less than 5 minutes.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We've had our Blue Ox Aventa II for 3 years now and have towed both the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler all over the place with two coaches. I really like the Blue Ox setup. It's very tough and the company is great. I think you'll find that RVupgrades does offer the best pricing around plus supporting a sponsor who supports this website is a good thing too.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #8

We also have used Blue Ox for 3 years. Very good equipment and have the best support.

Last year at a Gulf Streamers Rally, the Blue Ox tech checked our tow bar and replaced any parts that he didn't like. They weren't worn out, just he said they were not "like new".
No charge for this service.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #9

we have a sterling tow bar for sale...400 or obo jim and nancy
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'd like to take this moment and say thanks to all for the input and ideas that you have given me. It appears that the Blue Ox Aventa II Tow Bar has won out.
I can't say enough about this web site and how helpful it has been to a novice RV'er. Everyone has been so informative and understanding when it comes to making critical choices and right decisions. Again, I just want to say thanks to all.
I'd also like to say thanks to RVupgrades.com . Based on some of your recommendations, I called RVupgrades and talked to Debbie Williams. After a little personal chit-chat, I told her what I needed and she took my order over the phone. I was even surprised when I sat down this evening and checked my e-mail and there were two messages from Debbie at RVupgrades advising me the status of my order and explaining to me some answers to a couple of questions that we discussed on the phone. I want to thank Debbie Williams and the knowledgeable staff for their assistance, diligence and cooperation.
Harry

King William, Va.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 AM   #11

Blue Ox is the only way to go. I have been a Blue Ox man for years there customer service is great.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers

Anyone who buys a Workhorse Chassis between now and October 31st will receive a FREE Alexus Tow Bar.

(just click on the Blue Ox logo)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #13

I just ordered a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, with all the fixin's, from RVUgrades.com - based on the input from this site. So, thanks!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You want the all-terrain Falcon 2 - - easier to hitch up when you aren't perfectly level and right behind the coach. I do the hitching, Dave does the BrakePro, and together we are ready (or uncoupled) in less than 5 minutes.
I am in the market for a tow-bar. Is the added expense of the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain over the Falcon 2, worth the cost?

Sgt Ed is offline   Reply With Quote