Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Looking For Advice

We have a 37 ft Newmar Kountry Star with the 8.1 gas engine. Not now but sometime in the near future, we will be looking into buying a vehicle that we can flat tow. I was just trying to see if anyone has any input on what's a good tow vehicle. Right now we have a 2011 Altima but I was told we cannot flat tow it because it will damage the CVT transmission. I also have a 2007 Tundra and I read the same thing about it. I cant win so I guess Ill need to find something that is towable.

binspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Family Motor Coach ( FMCA ) published an annual list of tow vehicle details.
Remco Industries has a similar list.

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 / 4018
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
1940 Chevrolet Pickup
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

Several, posts regarding this situation in the " Toads & MH Towing " section of the forums.
Along with links to online info for determining the " towablity "of different vehicles.
Best to decide what you want in a vehicle , seating , off road capable , fuel mileage then look for the info. on if it can be flat towed.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

There is a thread right above this one that has some ideas as well. Search for the one called "I need a toad!"

T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Ford Fusion 2012. It is an automatic and Ford said that it was towable. Now it's not. They also said that if it is in the owners manual and you have not received any notification that they changed their minds then they will fix the vehicle if towing it ruins the transmission. Yes you are stuck somewhere for who knows how long getting the car fixed but it is covered.

We didn't want to try it so we bought a 2002 Honda CIVIC stick shift 38 MPG for $4,000. Did about $1,000 in tires and some wheel hubs but it pulls easy and does what we need it to do. Because we don't have much $$ in it I'm not worried about kicking up stones or doing other damage to it. We're not into the matching colors with the MH and the TOAD. Most, but probably not all stick shift vehicles are towable but it's always good to see it being towed by somebody else before buying.

Remco is the name of the company that builds pumps for vehicles that can't be towed. They have a list of towables as well. They have been contracted to build a pump system for the Fusion but it will only be sold through the dealer. That will be expensive.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Smile Consider this

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. it is not recommended for flat towing for the same reasons you quoted. I had a Drive Shaft disconnect installed. It tows fine and I did not have to go to the expense of buying another vehicle. I am very happy with my decision to install the disconnect system.
Jim, Becky and our Four Legged Friend "Jackson"
2006 DSDP/2007 Chevy Tahoe
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
I have pulled a Honda Accord and now a Honda CRV. Not a thing to do.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just bought a 2014 Honda Crv for that same reason
Pete and Patti Davis and 4 chihuahua
2013 thor palazzo 36.1
pete davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Your asking us what type of car will fit your needs - the honest answer is we don't have a clue since we don't know how you will use it. With that being said you can towable vehicles in all categories from trucks, to SUV's to Sedan's to Compacts, etc. So it's best if you decide what you want and then look at the choices available to you.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
X2 That being said we tow a go-cart aka fun to drive Mini Supercharged Cooper. deSanford
Sanford, Linda & R cats: Molly, Levi, Cody
2011 Monaco by Navistar RV
Good Sam Life Member Good Sam Hams Chapter
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Thanks for the suggestions.

binspector is offline   Reply With Quote