Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking for advice for someone new to towing.

Well we ordered the baseplate, tow bar and brake system, are there any tips or advice out there, I have never towed with the MH before.

2005 Pace Arrow 36B, 2009 Ford Edge AWD
U.S. Army Retired
Calhan, CO.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always double check all hookups, try to stop at the first rest area and check again at all rest areas. Keep an eye on the toad with rear camera.

Be sure to allow a little extra room when making a turn. I did pull my toad over a curb once in a parking lot.

As for driving, not much different than not towing, Although some hills may be slower and braking distance will be a little farther.

Enjoy your travels.

Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This should get you started.
Motor Homes Towing Cars or Other Vehicles

May 23rd, 2009 by steven

Towing small cars (often called toad or towed) behind motor homes has become popular as a way of providing transportation after the motor home is parked at a camp site. Towing a car differs from towing travel trailers or fifth-wheel trailers. Very little hitch weight is involved when the car is towed on all four wheels and only minimal hitch weight is involved when the car is towed on a dolly.
If you wish to tow a vehicle behind your motor home, you need to consider whether or not your motor home can handle the extra weight under all conditions (i.e., climbing steep hills or mountains). Your vehicle must have sufficient power to climb grades without holding up traffic and its braking power must be sufficient to stop the combined weight of the motor home plus the car and/or tow dolly effectively.
Motor home chassis manufacturers provide limits on gross combined weight (motor home plus car).
If you are towing a car, be sure the hitch attachment on the motor home is secure. Hitch weight ratings are usually stamped on the hitch assemblies. The tow bar attachment is also a concern because of the integrated frame construction used in most small cars. If you use a tow bar, safety chains are required, but a breakaway switch is not.
Fully operational tail, brake, and turn signal lights are required on the towed car.
It’s easy to forget you are towing a car when driving a large motor home because you can’t see it. So remember to allow extra space when entering a freeway or passing another vehicle so you won’t cut off the other driver. Your vehicle combination cannot exceed 65 feet. However, cities and counties may prohibit vehicle combination lengths over 60 feet, when posted.
One other thing to consider… in most states, you may only tow a single vehicle without a special endorsement or driver license. You may not tow two vehicles or trailers with a typical drivers license. (Example: You cannot tow a boat trailer/boat and car behind your motor home or pickup/camper.)

Published by steven on May 23, 2009 under Toad Towing | Post your comment
2007 Sea Breeze LX 8321 Ford Chassies
2004 Ford Ranger Edge
El Cajon CA.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Do not back up when towing four down.... Therefore, you need to determine your exit before you enter.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I always double check all hookups, try to stop at the first rest area and check again at all rest areas. Keep an eye on the toad with rear camera.

Be sure to allow a little extra room when making a turn. I did pull my toad over a curb once in a parking lot.
I've run over my fair share of curbs before...
2007 Tiffin Motorhomes ALLEGRO 35MH
Dragonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
High Plains,

Have only been towing for (1) year, but what I lack in experience I've made up I think in variables and these are MY opinions only. I drove from CT on the north route to WA, then south to tip of CA, east to Florida and north to CT.

1. Make up a typed hook-up and unhook procedures list. In my (28) years in Navy aviation I've learned that just when you THINK you know the routune by heart is when you skip something.

2. NO ONE gets to talk to me when I am hooking or unhooking other than the DW and she double checks my work.. Especially when I am hooking up to leave. Most Rvers are smart enough to not distract you when you are hooking/unhooking, but there are some ....

3. Try to avoid right turns if possible because of the way the TOAD tracks differently that the coach. Practice in Walmart and watch in the rear camera how to tracks differently. It is not harder than left turns but different

4. While on the interstate I have found out unfortunately that my fellow RVers are not necessarily my friends. I ALWAYS signal to some one who is towing ANYTHING and who passes me when it is safe to come to the right. In 12 months I have had only (3) RVers flash their lights that it was safe to pull in to the right lane. Sad. If you guys don't believe me start keeping track. I'm anal. I kept track. Tractor trailer drivers are pretty good about flashing you.

5. Go down the mountain the same speed as you went up minus 5 MPH.

6. I'm retired, full time and in NO hurry to be anywhere. I believe it is more stressful than most men will admit with towing, crosswinds, checking the TOAD in the mirror, watching out for car drivers pulling in too soon after passing and people coming on the interstate who are too STUPID to figure out that if you press on the gas pedal you CAN get your car up to highway speed so the Rver doesn't have to hit the brakes. So, when I am approaching a entrance ramp and see more than (1) car coming on I figure that at least (1) is a MORON so I get in the passing lane if no one is coming in that lane.

7. Based on # 6, I stop about every 2-3 hours, check the hook up, walk around and visually check the tires and walk/go bathroom to kill about (10) minutes to loosen up.

As I said it is my opinion and RVing is 99.5 % fun and about .5% frustration.

navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all for the great advice, we are heading out to WV and northern GA next month and DW wants her car.

2005 Pace Arrow 36B, 2009 Ford Edge AWD
U.S. Army Retired
Calhan, CO.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As all have stated. I think everyone of us has "run the curb" at one time or another. Watch your mirrors, go slow, and if it appears that you are going to run the curb with the TOAD, go very, very slow and pull it over the curb, unless it appears that the curb is way to high and will cause damage. If so, DO NOT BACK UP. You can severely damage the front suspension system on the TOAD if you back up. (tie rods, etc.) Don't worry about the honking horns, just get out and unhook. The best method is to not get yourself into that position, but it will happen.

You have seen those signs on 18 wheelers that states, "This vehicle makes wide right hand turns." They don't like running the curb either. So when turning right, swing wide. I'll move over and straddle the line between the two lanes, not allowing enough room for a car to get by on the right side, and since I sit over the wheels, when my butt is where I want the MH to go, then I start my turn.

One other thing I do is to tie a white rag at the top of my steering wheel. This allows me to see the position of the steering wheel through the back-up camera. I leave the camera on all the time. If the rag is askew or is wobbling side-to-side, it's time to pull over and check out what is wrong. I have found one of those shop rags, white, ties real tight and does not slip.

Good luck.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Smile http:

Very good tips. Being a former trucker I really like the tips from Wayne M. Have fun towing.
OIIIIIO It's a Jeep thing!
desertdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

All great advice. I'll only add that IMO the most common and maybe dangerous mistake we make when towing is not allowing enough room for the full length of our rig and toad when changing lanes or merging. It is VERY hard to accurately judge this from your mirrors alone. Cameras help but always be aware of your length so as to avoid stuffing your toad into some other guy's grille.

Happy travels...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote