Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Looking for an Uncle's advice

I need an uncles advice because they always told the truth whether you took it or not. But since at my age all my uncles are dead I am coming here. I towed,via a dolly, over 6500 miles last year. Since it was my first time, the thought of chipping had not crossed my mind, but became obvious. I was pulling a Camry in part because we had not yet determined if rving was something we do. Well, we are hooked. So the question is, how sensible is it to tow a nice toad? Even with protection for the toad, what has been your experience? We do adventure off the the obvious. We are doing a Class C and as an old tank driver am prone to go into places maybe I should not, but gravel does not threaten me. Due to tow limits the toad will be the iconic CR-V. Advice please based on experience not speculation. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You will get chips... No matter what you do, short of a cover on the front which will polish the front with trapped dirt. I've had mine painted since Alaska, but is full of chips again it is just a car, after all.

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clear bra from 3M will keep most of the chips off the front, just depend how high on the hood you go.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

I designed a protect a tow after seeing all the damage done to the camry. I had thought that the nose up on the ezetow was going to be a deterrent. But the the sides of the car look like it was mistaken to be a quail at a bird hunters convention. I will get the offical model. I am trying to pare down rolling stock.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkilo View Post
I need an uncles advice because they always told the truth whether you took it or not. But since at my age all my uncles are dead I am coming here. I towed,via a dolly, over 6500 miles last year. Since it was my first time, the thought of chipping had not crossed my mind, but became obvious. I was pulling a Camry in part because we had not yet determined if rving was something we do. Well, we are hooked. So the question is, how sensible is it to tow a nice toad? Even with protection for the toad, what has been your experience? We do adventure off the the obvious. We are doing a Class C and as an old tank driver am prone to go into places maybe I should not, but gravel does not threaten me. Due to tow limits the toad will be the iconic CR-V. Advice please based on experience not speculation. Thanks.
As you can see in my signature, we have a CR-V, the last model year to be towable. I got rid of my tow dolly after almost 10 years on the road. Best move I have made yet for a towed. The Blue Ox KarGard II Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard™ II Protective Shield seems to be doing a very good job. I am now getting more paint damage from normal driving of the CR-V than from the coach towing.

My advise? Go 4 down and with the KarGard II.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

PS: Thanks for your service to protect our great nation.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our Honda Pilot has 270,000 km with an additional 60,000 km towed four down. The vehicle still looks great! We use a Protect-A-Tow and have cut 4" off of the bottom of the big rear mud flap on the coach.

I think if you use a protector something like the Protect-A-Tow, and remove the big rear mud flap on your coach if it has one, you'll be very pleased.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

My MH has a huge mud flap and I thought that would have helped rather than added to to problem. I read about the issue and am glad to have someone confirm it. We hit a very long run of tar and gravel road resurface in NEB and SD. The pebbles were piled on top of wiper blades and down in cowl. Plus we do blue highway a lot as well. My homebuilt protectatow was designed after the trip and has aided a lot, but alas too late.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Commercial Member

We have great mud flaps in the wheel wells, and a mud flap across the back that is 5" off the ground when moving. Our CRV is still looking great. When we go thru dirt roads or mud and slush, we do find the car covered with the dust or mud because our exhaust hits the ground and creates the dust cloud to drive thru, but that just requires a wash.
We do plan to get one of the front protectors when we go full time, and will be staying longer times at each stop, but for now, it would just be one more thing to deal with for our short stops.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #9

So I quess the question in somewhat is do you need or not need the mudflap?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a Jeep Wrangler and my MH has the stock flaps behind the rear wheels. Only had it out a few times but so far no problems other than road dirt. There was another thread and the general thought was that the behind the wheel flaps work best, but not everyone agreed.

Tags
advice