Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GM says you will be able to get Saturn parts or service, including warranty, at any GM dealership. I've found that any GM dealership can and will service my GMC Acadia, including warranty work, so have no reason to disbelieve them. However, techs at another GM brand dealership will likely NOT have any Saturn specific training.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
CurbCrusher, what did you do to install yours? Could you give me some advise, please? Maybe your idea and method is better than mine.
I just did what I thought needed to be done. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 30 amp switch, a small spool of #10 wire, a 30 amp fuse holder, and some crimp on lugs and connectors. A number of post in here had said you can find this stuff at an auto parts store, but I could not find 30 amp fuse holders and switches at any of my local auto parts stores.
Then I ran two wires from the fuse box under the hood through the firewall (I used the same hole that the dealer ran some of my US Gear Unified Tow Brake electronics through) an to the small, useless compartment that is located to the lower left of the steering wheel.
I put two lugs on the fuse box end of the wires, and two slide on connectors on the in car end. I then used a meter and figured out that the inside blade of the fuse was on the hot side, and cut one of the wires and connected the in line fuse holder. Then I plugged the lugs into the fuse box.
I connected the fuse to the switch and gave it a shot and it worked. I then planned to mount the fuse in the small, useless compartment located to the lower left of the steering wheel. But, the switch I'd bought was too deep to fit behind either the three walls in the compartment, and it was going to be a pain to get behind the compartment to cut and mount. So, I went back to Radio Shack and bought a project box and just mounted the switch in it, and placed it in the small, useless compartment.
As I noted above, we just took the first trip with it and it worked great. I loved not having to raise the hood at the rest area to put the fuse in and out to reset the transmission. I took some pictures and put there here on Flickr.

2007 Itasca Sunova 35J
2006 Saturn Vue
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
CurbCrusher, thanks for such a detailed reply and the photos are great! I will head for Radio Shack and Pep Boys to acquire all of the parts and attempt this next weekend. After looking the project over, the only difficulty I can see is finding a convenient point to run the wires through the firewall without having to make another opening. The useless compartment that you had used for the switch, I currently use to store a spare set of reading glasses just in case I misplace my main ones. I have to place spare sets all over as I am always setting them down and forgetting where they are. Regarding where to put the switch, I think I will use a single hole switch plate to install from the bottom of the dash someplace convenient for the switch. Thanks again, CurbCrusher, for your reply and photos.

For others on this thread regarding the Saturns, even though they are going out of business, by law the parts have to be available for 10 years. So that would not deter me from buying another Saturn although I just bought my 06 this past May and absolutely love it. The way I drive cars this one may last me 10 years anyway. My last Saturn was a 97 SW2 with 157,000 miles before the transmission gave up. I donated it to Cash4Causes.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote