Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #1

Looking for Jeep Liberty owners...

I bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty that can be flat-towed, so I'm looking for suggestions and preferences on tow bars and braking systems, preferably for towing behind a gas chassis.

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a Jeer Liberty using a 10000 Lb. Blue Ox and a SMI (Air force 1) brake system. Have traveled 25K with no problems. Simple to hook up. Brake system storage is a small hose no bulky apparatus. They do have a set up for a gas MH.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

I tow a 2006 Jeep Liberty behind my diesel pusher with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Although I've had no problems with this tow bar, I think if I were to buy a new tow bar I would look at the Demco series of tow bars. Stowing the Roadmaster tow bar means first raising the arms to a vertical position and then lowering the arms to the right or left. Although this isn't that big of a deal, the Demco bar simply pivots the arms to the right or left without having to raise them to a vertical position first. And, the Demco arms will stay horizontal to the ground while you hook them up. With the Roadmaster, I have to support both arms until at least one of the arms is hooked up.

I have the SMI Air Force One brake system for my Liberty and recommend it to anyone who has an air brake system on their coach. I've had excellent service out of SMI. I had them install the system on the Liberty and on this and my previous coach. Give their products a look for the brake system on your Liberty.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
06 Liberty w/Roadmaster Falcon & a Brake Buddy Vantage Select. No problems. Lot of folks don't like the bulky-ness of a BB, but it's fine for us.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Liberty has room under the hood for a M&G brake system . Good product that works well . Most of the major tow bar folks make a baseplate for the Liberty . I like the Blue Ox baseplate as it seems to have less parts on the front of the car. I use a roadmaster towbar . But again , it seems to be personal choice as all the bars/base plate combo's are good
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini
I bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty that can be flat-towed, so I'm looking for suggestions and preferences on tow bars and braking systems, preferably for towing behind a gas chassis.

Thank you. -RT
I have a 2012 Liberty. You can search for a thread I started about installing the Blue Ox Baseplate. I have been towing our Liberty now for the last 16 months without any issues. I have the Blue Ox 10,000 pound tow bar and use the Brake Buddy supplemental braking system.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Another vote for the Roadmaster Sterling. I have the Brakemaster system in the Liberty with the on board compressor with my gasser. Excellent performance from both!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
I have a 2012 Liberty. You can search for a thread I started about installing the Blue Ox Baseplate. I have been towing our Liberty now for the last 16 months without any issues. I have the Blue Ox 10,000 pound tow bar and use the Brake Buddy supplemental braking system.

Mike
Mike;

Did a search and found your thread; very informative. Do you happen to have any pictures of the install, or at least pictures of the final installation? Sure would like to see the baseplate set-up after any front bumper facia cutting and the tow-bar installed.

Thank you. -RT
Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RT, I will be able to take the photos and post them to this thread on Thursday. Happy to do so.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #10

We have a Liberty towed with a blue-ox and airforce braking system. Works great!
Dave
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Photos of Blue Ox base plate mounted on a 2012 Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post

Thank you. -RT
Below are three photos showing my installation of a Blue Ox baseplate onto a a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The final installation is almost invisible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep11.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	36717   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep33.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	36718  

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep22.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	36719  
2012 DSDP 3734
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
Below are three photos showing my installation of a Blue Ox baseplate onto a a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The final installation is almost invisible.
Thanks for posting the pictures. The installation turned out quite nicely; the only thing I might do differently on the install is to either buy or paint the electrical connector black, hoping that it would 'disappear' more into the grille.

Do I need to make an appointment to have you install??

Thanks for all the information. -RT
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #13

What is wrong with the forum, I keep trying to post a reply to this message and it tells me I am not logged in, and I have logged in three seperate times!!!

To the subject, here is a link to etrailer where I get all the supplies to equip all the towed vehicles I have had.
Base Plates for Tow Bars for 2012 Jeep Liberty | etrailer.com

Hope this posts, and hope it helps
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote