Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Looking for the silver lining

This past Tuesday morning, much to my dismay, I joined the demolition derby on the snow covered Baltimre beltway. I walked away with a good case of whiplash. My 2011 Honda Accord on the other hand is probably totaled. So here's my question.

After buying our 2014 Newmar Bay Star, we have wanteded to get a toad, as neither of our cars are towable 4 down. I am considering getting a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD. They are more than I want to spend, but since it will be both my daily driver, our toad, the family 4WD, it is doable. I have heard that the Wrangler is the absolute worst car to buy. I have heard that the ride will beat you to death. I know it won't ride like my Accord did, and gas mileage will be

Current and previous Wrangler owners, what are your opinions on the Wrangler. I know it will make a good toad, but I'm concerned about the ride and dependability. As far as off road, camp ground roads are probably as far as that will go. The 4WD will be used in snow to get my wife ( an RN) to work when needed.

Thanks for your input !!!!!

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're on our second Wrangler Unlimited. The first was replaced after it too was totaled in an accident. It had 80k miles on the odometer at the time and another 25k or so as a toad. Absolutely no issues. The only warranty item I had with it was one of the door switches was replaced (operates the dome light).

We now have 36k on it's replacement, similar experience. No, they don't ride like a Cadillac, but the Unlimited isn't all that bad either, in my opinion. Drive one and decide for your self. Meanwhile, they're probably the easiest vehicles to set up as a toad and as rugged as they come, not to mention the places it can take you that your Honda couldn't dream of (thinking of our recent trip to Moab Utah). Resale is very high on the Wranglers as well.

As for mileage, that depends on which drivetrain combination you get. Ours is a 6 speed stick shift, it came with 3.21 differential gears. In that configuration it was easy to get 22 mph, and 24 wasn't too difficult. I switched those gears for 4.10s as I occasionally tow a boat, not to mention the performance is much better. I consistently average 20 mph.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

Bill and Denise:

DW and I just got a 2015 Wrangler Sport Unlimited to replace our 2012 Chevy Equinox as our toad. The 4 door unlimited is IMO a better ride than it's two door brother, plus the 4 door gives us a little more space to put stuff in the back, since we lay down the back seat. Granted, as Jay said, it's not going to ride like a Cadillac, but we chose it mainly for the ease of hooking up when towing behind our motorhome. The dealer we bought from swapped out the stock 16 inch tires with some snazzy 17 inch tires from a Rubicon. This in itself increased the 'cool factor' but also will affect the ride and gas mileage. But I wasn't going to tell them no, when they offered this switch for $0!!!
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

We put the cart before the horse when we bought our new Cherokee Trailhawk a few weeks ago, with our MH delivery still a couple months out. We had a Mercedes GLK that we really loved, with less than 20,000 miles but it could not be towed 4 down.

I wanted a Jeep simply because they seemed to the easiest to tow 4 down from what we had read, and I wanted the off road capabilities so we can explore as we travel, and need to be able to carry 10' surfboards on the roof as well. So it started out either Wranger Unlimited, or Cheokee. We drove a Cheokee latitude, and found it very comfortable, surprisingly nice inside, and very similarly in size to the GLK.

Then over to an Unlimited. As a reference, I had a lifted early Bronco years ago, but when my wife opens the door of the Unlimited, I got one of "those looks". Then, after she crawled over the high door sill and into the seat, um, let's say, I got another one of "those looks", followed by "no way" (with maybe an explicative or two thrown in).

I at least got to take it on a short test drive........

Then we we saw a Trailhawk, we knew we found a great solution. 3 weeks into ownership, we really like it. Very comfortable and quiet on the road, and it will certainly be capable to do any sort of basic off roading that I can foresee us doing once we start our travels, and actually easer to put on racks to carry my boards on beach trips.

So, just another consideration for you.......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both the Jeep TJ and KL as toads. Like D&S above, I would encourage you to consider the 2015 Trailhawk as a toad, too. An 8.7 inch clearance being the obvious limitation, it remains a pretty capable and stout vehicle for your more adventurous drives; it is also quite comfortable as a daily driver. We love the uncompromising competence of the Wrangler, but (to be honest) we are not spring chickens anymore and it is getting harder and harder for us to get the kayaks on-and-off its higher roof rack. We are slowly defaulting to the Trailhawk because of its combination of convenience, comfort and capabilities. Gas mileage on the Trailhawk is better, too! /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
PS. My experience with the Wrangler (actually, I've had two of them) would not be unfavorable. They are great, durable vehicles that are easy to drive and very easy to work on (the 4.0L engine). I've never understood why they are rated so poorly in the consumer ratings. I guess you either like them or you don't.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also have a Cherokee & love it. We have about 17k on the odometer & 7.5k towing. It has been the perfect compromise of off-road capability, comfort & mpg averaging 26 with the 6 cylinders.

As with you we only wanted something for occasionally going on mild off roading so chose the Limited to get more creature comforts vs. More off-road capability that we do not need.

So far it has been a great decision. We are mostly in warm weather & love the ventilated seats!

Stuart
Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
So sorry about your accident. I hope you are okay.

My 2 cents . . . It's not a Wrangler but our 2015 Honda CRV is awesome to tow 4 wheels down plus a great ride and super mileage and affordable.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post

My 2 cents . . . It's not a Wrangler but our 2015 Honda CRV is awesome to tow 4 wheels down plus a great ride and super mileage and affordable.
I may be wrong but I read that the 2015 CRV was not towable 4down
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I may be wrong but I read that the 2015 CRV was not towable 4down
You are correct, the only 2015 Honda that's OK to tow four down is the standard trans Fit.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post

How did you come to pick the 2015 CRV? Everything I have read says they are no longer towable 4-down. Is there instructions in the manual like the previous models? Did the dealer tell you it was OK? Is the warranty still valid?
Not that I'm in the immediate market to replace my 13 but am interested anyway.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
OOOPS I was wrong . . . I have a 2014 Honda CR-V that is towable 4-down. Not sure about 2015.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
This past Tuesday morning, much to my dismay, I joined the demolition derby on the snow covered Baltimre beltway. I walked away with a good case of whiplash. My 2011 Honda Accord on the other hand is probably totaled. So here's my question.

After buying our 2014 Newmar Bay Star, we have wanteded to get a toad, as neither of our cars are towable 4 down. I am considering getting a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD. They are more than I want to spend, but since it will be both my daily driver, our toad, the family 4WD, it is doable. I have heard that the Wrangler is the absolute worst car to buy. I have heard that the ride will beat you to death. I know it won't ride like my Accord did, and gas mileage will be

Current and previous Wrangler owners, what are your opinions on the Wrangler. I know it will make a good toad, but I'm concerned about the ride and dependability. As far as off road, camp ground roads are probably as far as that will go. The 4WD will be used in snow to get my wife ( an RN) to work when needed.

Thanks for your input !!!!!
We have an older TJ. It's great in the snow, mud, and in any condition where 4 wheel drive is needed. Compared to an Accord it rides like a lumber wagon. Having said that I wouldn't trade it for an Accord, or even a newer JK Wrangler.

I do prefer the ride of our Buick Lucerne over that of the Jeep on normal pavement under normal conditions. However when the weather turns bad, or it's time to go off the road the Jeep is a far better choice. Ours isn't used as a daily driver, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it in that capacity should the need arise.

Mileage on ours is in the 18 to 21 mpg range. That's with 3.73 rear gears and 31X10.50 tires.

Keep in mind the 4 wheel drive models are the only ones that can be towed 4 down without modifications. Also be aware that the 4 wheel drive models can't be towed on a dolly. It's either 4 down, or on a trailer.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

I was concerned about the ride in a Wrangler. This body of mine isn't as forgiving as it was in my 20s. I decided to take a look at the Jeep Cherokee. Per Motorhome Magazine's 2014 Dinghy towing guide, there are no restrictions. I went online and picked out a nice Cherokee Latitude V6 4WD. It was then that I decided to double check the manual for the 2015 Cherokee Latitude. In the manual, it says there are two automatic transmissions.

9-Speed Transmission with Jeep Active Drive I
9-Speed Transmission with Jeep Active Drive II

The standard transmission is Active Drive I.
Active Drive II can only be optioned on 4WD V6 models.
Active Drive II is standard on the Trail Hawk model.

The Cherokee can only be towed 4 down with Active Drive II.

Just a word of caution for anyone looking at a Jeep Cherokee, If you want to tow it 4 down, you have to have a V6, and 9-Speed Transmission with Jeep Active Drive II.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote