Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
125 acres

I remembered I sold that dolly on Craigslist and they keep records of all the ads you place. I looked it up. The dolly was a Master Tow Model 77T with electric brakes. I sold it 7 years ago.

I don't know if that sheds any light on why the dolly fenders rubbed the Mazda CX-9 front fenders or not. I'll leave that to the dolly experts to explain.
No wonder why it hit. The car was the same width as the dolly. How much room did you have between the car and the fenders when you loaded it? Not much I bet. Wrong dolly for the car, should have been the 80T.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Master Tow 80" model. I've owned both a surge brake and an electric brake version.

We've towed across the US with it. Even towed a large Lexus LS400 rear wheel drive loaded backwards from MD to CA. Just locked the steering straight. The 80" wide model fenders have never contacted the cars loaded on it. Just need to measure the width of your cars front end.

After a couple of practices we can load in less than 15 min and unload in 5 min.

IF your coach has an electric brake controller, I prefer the electric brake model. The surge brake has a tendency to apply brakes when using the coach Jake brake (even on the low setting) whereas the electric brake model application can be adjusted.

Towing 4 down is the most popular method, but it requires you purchase a car capable of 4 down and the list keeps getting shorter.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #31

I'm going to be pulling a 2015 Impala, and am not going to buy another car just to pull behind the MH. I might even try pulling my Corvette back wards on it.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #32

FWIW
I carry a 4 ft steel bar that comes in handy for a lot of things including straightening out the pan if it's crooked after unloading.

I also put a light duty hitch on our Escape so I can move the dolly around with that if we don't have a pull through site. Much easier to unhook in the road or a parking lot and then park the dolly before I park the MH.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW
I carry a 4 ft steel bar that comes in handy for a lot of things including straightening out the pan if it's crooked after unloading.

I also put a light duty hitch on our Escape so I can move the dolly around with that if we don't have a pull through site. Much easier to unhook in the road or a parking lot and then park the dolly before I park the MH.

Well I bought a dollie for the dollie! That's right two dollies deep. Really it's like a hand truck that fits in the back of the Escape and I use it to move the dolly around at camp and at home both. I will see if i have any pictures. Not very good pictures but.

Sudsy
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #34

The Pictures

They didn't seem to be attached.

Sudsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-28 13.36.13.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	185669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1751.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	185670  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1750.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	185671  
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #35

Dollies work well and often come in handy. We flat tow now. I like it better. Seemed like when towing is was always unhooking in rain, snow or mud. I always was on the ground. We had a Demco which makes a GREAT dolly. It’s all just a matter of preference.
ARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Preference" requires mentioning that you have to buy a car that can be flat towed.
Unfortunately, a ever shrinking list of cars.

The OP is using a dolly

All of our travel partners flat tow. And we hook-up just as fast and unhook faster then they - rain or shine.
Plus our cars (we pick from two) are unmodified and will be no problem at resale for hidden miles or unsightly damage to the car's fascia.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
If you put too large of a vehicle on YOUR dolly YOUR fenders will hit too. Who in the heck wants to fool with removal ramps? NOT me. Put the right size of vehicle on the right size dolly and you shouldn't have a problem with either on of them. The Master Tow I just bought is 80" wide, they do make two different models.

I just picked up a used Master Tow with hyd brakes for less than half the price of a new one, with 3 sets of straps. I'm not fooling with moving those ramps around.
Actually.... It is impossible to damage ANY SIZE car with our dolly fenders. It is simply not possible. It is complex, but simple geometry. In our testing we loaded a 15 passenger Chevy van on our dolly, with .25 of inch clearance inside the fenders. We tried everything we could to make the dolly contact the van. To the point that we severely damaged the test dolly. Never once did ever get close to contacting the towed van. In our initial testing we pushed the dolly to way beyond its design limits, resulting in total destruction of the test dollies. We learned a lot from that testing, we then made design changes and improvements.

Unlike the others, we constantly improve our design, constantly. Our newest generation dolly has 18 improvements over the last generation.

The ramps are very simple to install and remove. Removable ramps allow you to stand up all the erect when moving the dolly around, instead of staying hunched over trying to move a 600 pound dolly with ramps attached. In addition one cannot damage the underside of their car when crossing uneven grade transitions. Detached ramps allow the Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly to be stored vertically anywhere. There are a lot of advantages to having removable ramps.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #38

Quote:
No wonder why it hit. The car was the same width as the dolly. How much room did you have between the car and the fenders when you loaded it? Not much I bet. Wrong dolly for the car, should have been the 80T.
I don't know how much room there was between the car and the fender. Remember, I only owned the dolly for about 3 weeks, loaded the CX-9 one time and pulled it for a few minutes about 1,000 feet. At the time I had (and still do) a Jeep Wrangler toad. I just bought the dolly to try it out. Didn't like it and got rid of it. I've spent more time talking about it on this thread than I did using it.

It's odd that over the last 15 years or so I've read a good many threads regarding dolly vs 4 down and this is the first time I've ever seen the topic of various dolly widths come up. Until the last couple of days I didn't even know they came in different widths, Guess I just never read the right thread.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #39

Hurry, acme has a promo today, if that is your preference. I just ordered, after confirming they will not deliver before a certain date, since I will be away.

I can flat tow my jeep, but sometimes need to bring the bigger car (more seats and room for dogs). Being able to stand the acme on end, in the garage, and is all welded, was the winner for me. The bonus offer was icing.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do26 View Post
Hurry, acme has a promo today, if that is your preference. I just ordered, after confirming they will not deliver before a certain date, since I will be away.

I can flat tow my jeep, but sometimes need to bring the bigger car (more seats and room for dogs).
Being able to stand the acme on end, in the garage, and is all welded, was the winner for me. The bonus offer was icing.
Yep, and you'll be getting your exercise too, moving those ramps couple times every time you load and unload.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Old 12-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yep, and you'll be getting your exercise too, moving those ramps couple times every time you load and unload.
Wait...what!?

The ramps on the EZE-Tow don't weigh that much and are mounted to the tongue...what's that?
3 feet on and 3 feet off?

Fixed ramps are no better:

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Ramps, for me.
Same material my late father used on his home made race car trailer when I was a child. I was too young to go in the pits until the show was over, but my "job" was to properly load the car on the trailer. I will think of him when I use them, in addition to all the other triggers i have.
Storage of the dolly is easier than the built in ramp models.
Allows the use of the vehicle my DW likes, and will drive.

I enjoy the exercise and the process. Can't make me stop fixing and managing the mechanical things, although it takes me a little longer than when I was a teenager . Great way to losen up after hours in the saddle.

Yes, I like flat towing the Jeep, but DW does not drive it, and we cannot fit us, DD, and dogs in the Jeep.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly