Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

Looking for Towed Vehicle

I am looking for a vehicle to tow behind my motorhome. I need to replace my old Saturn sedan. Is there anywhere that I can find a list of vehicles that are towable along with their specifications (type of trans, weight, overall size, gas mileage, etc.) With the demise of Saturn, it would appear that there aren't any vehicles available with auto trans that are able to be towed. And how about where to look for such a vehicle? Is there anywhere on-line that advertises such vehicles for sale in one's local area? I am looking for any and all info related to this topic. Any recommendations from current users? Any vehicles to stay away from? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Al,

I attempted a similar project about eight months ago and gave up in frustration. Not saying the info isn't there but I failed to find it. I've never been a Jeep guy but that's the direction I went and I am happy with it - fun to drive, easy to setup for towing, and tow's very nicely. I do understand that they are not for everyone.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #3

FMCA magazine had and article a few month ago that listed many vehicles that were towable. I think they went thru all the major brands.

Russell
Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #4

http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/...inghyGuide.pdf
Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

It could of been motor home magazine?
Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with a KIA Soul 6 speed manual. I currently use a dolly but it is fine for 4 wheels down. It is very roomy, high roof design (so easy in easy out), true 5 passenger and a lot of fun to drive. Weighs 2700# curb weight with full tank of gas, steering is non-locking so no need for fancy wiring to keep battery up. Bought mine new for $15K out the door with taxes and license.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Look at Ford. I tow a 2010 Ford Escape with automatic transmission and recently bought a 2014 Ford Focus auto trans that can also be towed but I haven't towed it yet. When I was shopping for a new car almost every dealer told me that their car could be towed but when I checked with the manufacturer I found the dealers were wrong. Bottom line-DONT TRUST THE SALESMAN, do the research yourself.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Looking for Towed Vehicle

I just purchased a Mini Cooper front drive 6 speed to tow flat 4 wheels down. Looking at Bluox tow bar and base plate. Installer had done a few Minis no problem

Hurk

I don't need brakes in Canada ,2700 lbs but laws require them in California and Arizona?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #9

We just got a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4. We are setting it up in a couple of weeks with Blue Ox tow bars/baseplate and Roadmaster Invisibrake to tow behind our new Class C. We looked at the Jeep Wranglers but decided we wouldn't use a Wrangler other than to be a toad. The Trailhawk is loaded with options and fun to drive and was less than the Wranglers we priced.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

So how many seats does the trail hawk have. Aprox $$. Thanks

Russell
Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

The Trailhawk seats four comfortably. You could possibly have a person in the middle of the back seat but it would be tight and I haven't looked to see if it's belted. Our TH is loaded with all options except a sunroof and adaptive cruise and we paid $34k. We have the Uconnect system with GPS, live traffic feed, satellite radio, apps, remote start, internet connectivity and remote door lock/unlock(which I can control from my iPhone).

This model of the Cherokee is hard to find on the Jeep lots in our area as they sell quickly so we probably paid more than some just because we knew it was the vehicle we wanted and didn't want to spend weekends shopping it out or waiting on an ordered vehicle. We also wanted a white one which narrowed our search as well.

The Wrangler Unlimited was $39k. Some were higher. We didn't see a base model Wrangler, if there is such a thing. We tend to like the options on our vehicles vs. a base model.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #12

Thanks. I like the third seat. Was just curious.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both the Motorhome magazine and FMCA web sites have links to dingy towing guides.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at Remco online;
Store : Remco
You can put in the vehicle you are looking at and it will give you the info on it.
I tow a Ford C-Max with automatic. Follow the manual and add a toed charger to the hookup. Very easy. There are others, Lincoln MK stuff, Buick has one, all automatic.

tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote