Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming that you are looking for an SUV type vehicle - give some good consideration to the 2015 Chevy Equinox or its twin - the GMC Terrain. GM dealers have some really great year end sales on these. Depending on your taste and budget, the MSRP will range from low $20's to low $30's before you do any negotiating on price and trade in. However, nearly all of them out there are GM's 4cyl engine. Great mileage but you may want to test drive the 6 cyl ($1,500 option) version for comparison before final purchase. Both come with 100K drivetrain warranties.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

Ford Edge, great toad.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a Ford Edge - great car. Just depends on what size vehicle you want and how much you want to spend.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I just got the wife a jeep GC, How big of an rv engine will i needto tow this safely through the mountains
Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pulling a toad in the mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post
I just got the wife a jeep GC, How big of an rv engine will i needto tow this safely through the mountains
That is just too general a question. Depends on whether you have a gas or diesel coach and what mountains you are talking about. If it is diesel and only 300 or 340 hp, you may have some issues - but it probably won't be major. If you have a gas engine (most likely the Ford V-10) then you will probably experience problems on bigger mountains. Not that you can't go over them, just you will likely lose a lot of speed and power as you go up them.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #20

If you are looking for a SUV. Give a look at a Chevy Captiva. Same drive train as a Equinox. About 6" shorter. Captiva is a rebadged 2008-10 Saturn Vue. Great car and about $5k cheaper than a Equinox. GM sold the Captiva to the Fleet market to help keep price of used Equinox high.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
If you are looking for a SUV. Give a look at a Chevy Captiva. Same drive train as a Equinox. About 6" shorter. Captiva is a rebadged 2008-10 Saturn Vue. Great car and about $5k cheaper than a Equinox. GM sold the Captiva to the Fleet market to help keep price of used Equinox high.
Just depends on how nice of a vehicle that you want. If you are looking for cheap transportation without a lot of frills - the Captiva might work for you. But a drive in one, especially with its standard 4cyl engine, may get you looking for something else.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
Just depends on how nice of a vehicle that you want. If you are looking for cheap transportation without a lot of frills - the Captiva might work for you. But a drive in one, especially with its standard 4cyl engine, may get you looking for something else.
Thanks. I'd like to rent for a weekend whatever we think we want before we buy. Yesterday I checked the Chevy Equinox and it weighs almost 5000 pounds without the plate, etc. UGH!
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcie View Post
Thanks. I'd like to rent for a weekend whatever we think we want before we buy. Yesterday I checked the Chevy Equinox and it weighs almost 5000 pounds without the plate, etc. UGH!
Equinox's should weigh around 3,800 pounds. The larger Traverse weighs in close to 5,000.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
3800 pounds is much better than 5000! Just goes to show you everything you read on the internet is not true! I questioned that weight myself. Now that the weight is right, we will check out the Equinox. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcie View Post
3800 pounds is much better than 5000! Just goes to show you everything you read on the internet is not true! I questioned that weight myself. Now that the weight is right, we will check out the Equinox. Thanks!
Base Plates (the hidden type) are available for the 2015 Equinox. If you get a chance - drive the 6 cyl version of the Equinox. They are sometimes hard to find but after driving both versions, you may find that the $1,500 option is worth it. Just depends on what your needs and preferences are. The Equinox is Chevy's #2 seller (behind the Pick-up Truck) so you may have to haggle a bit for a decent price. Also, a little know fact is that a dealers internet sales depts. generally operate differently than "floor" sales. That CAN significantly affect the price you pay.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
My DH has a Tahoe now with about 300,000 miles and no major repairs! So an Equinox would be a serious contender. We'll go check one out soon and hope the dog crates fit. I see a lot of them on the road but had no idea it was the #2 seller. Wow.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It really doesn't matter where its made. Its your money, and it sounds like you are already leaning towards the jeep. We try to be as environmentally conscious as possible. We bought a ford focus that knocks down 33mpg every week.
Yes I know, I'm a environmentally conscious hypocritical. I drive a diesel pusher that gets 9-10 mpg, but I hoped I'd make up for it with a small car.
What you really should do is see what you can afford. Buy the car you like the most in your budget. There seems to be many choices in that Dingy guide. Look at the MOTORHOME MAGAZINE towing guide. Lots of good choices in there.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler automatic which can be towed 4 down. The dealer walked us through the process of putting the transfer case in neutral. We tow it with a Blue Ox Avail tow bar. No issues. We love Jeeps anyway so it was an easy decision for us. Hubby drives it to work when we aren't traveling. Best choice for us..

sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow