Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To the poster that had the fire I also am glad that you were able to get your toad removed when it caught on fire. However even with the regular pins you sometimes have problems disconnecting if the tow bar has pressure on it. If the car is on fire and that happens you are going to have to figure out how to get it off. Like another poster I have a tractor. I could swear there is no way the pins that hold my front end loader or other implements can come off. I also can swear that I buy those pins in bags of 50 so that I can replace them when they do. Those linch pins or whatever they are called come loose. Do not ask me how I just know they do.

I bought mine at Lowes. I took my connecting pins in looked for a set about the right size asked the girl working there if we could open the package to make sure they were right. When they fit I bought them.

I looked at the Blue Ox pins and they are surprisingly inexpensive I like the regular padlocks better for this purpose. If the blue ox pins locking mechanism breaks they are probably going to fall out at the first big bump in the road. The Padlock still has the lock mechanism to help hold it in place It could fall out but would be harder I believe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
I have beard of people pulling pins out when folks are stopped. I bought a set of blue ox locking pins jjust for this reason. Do you think someone could have done this while you were at the outlet mall?
That was my first thought. This is a very common kid prank. Happens a lot in launch ramp parking lots around lakes. The Blue Ox 3 lock set is great. One key fits all of the locks. Two of the locks are sized for the toad and the third lock sized for the hitch on MH. Very cheap insurance. Of course blaming it on the wife works.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
...Of course blaming it on the wife works.

OK...maybe you were being funny but just in case someone didn't read my WHOLE first post...I tried to make it clear it was possibly a team failure.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

OK...maybe you were being funny but just in case someone didn't read my WHOLE first post...I tried to make it clear it was possibly a team failure.
I was just joking. But seriously my wife always likes to help. So I suggested she get the inside ready & I will get outside ready. Otherwise she thinks I did something I didn't do or I think she did something she didn't do. For us it always works out better to work on separate projects getting coach ready for travel. However, I still suspect someone may have pulled the pin. I was in a gas station only a few minutes & someone stole the dump valve handle off my previous TT.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What I have experienced with my Blue-Ox Adventa LX tow bar is after unlocking the lock pins, depending on how the vehicle is sitting relative to the coach, sometimes the quick release won't release as there's too much pressure or torque on the arms. I actually have to drive one pin out before the the other side frees up.

If I am on perfectly level pavement, then the binding is not so noticeable but how many times are you presented with that perfect situation when traveling.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I have that happen what I usually do is to start my towed vehicle drive it forward against the blue ox tow bar slightly. Set the brakes so that the car cannot roll backward. Push in the release lever to let the bars go smaller. This will take all the pressure off of the pin and you can get it out with no problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
I looked at one of the Blue Ox locking pins and they should not pull apart easily. Infact, I tried to break one apart using a pickling tool (ball joint seperator) and a 3# hammer. Tapping the end, not trying to ruin the part. The lock end didn't seperate from the shaft.

I will trust the standard pin with a Master lock thru the hole.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Aftermath Actions

Post Mortem...

I am ordering a factory referbrished Aventa LX from RVupgrades. Blue Ox offers a $150 trade in of the old one (or Blue Ox or competitors.) This is a 10,000# model compared to my 7,500# Aladdin. Blue Ox will pay the shipping for the old one. Upon receipt I get a $150 refund of the $548 purchase price (shipping included but not tax)

The Aventa LX is about 5# heavier than the Aladdin but $200 less. I need the exercise anyway. LOL

I will get a matching lock to replace the one that went AWOL (to complete my set) but I plan to try out the standard pins with a padlock through the pin.

Thanks to all and be safe.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Aftermath Actions - Update/Correction

The Blue Ox $150 trade in is only good on NEW towbars. I opted for the new one so not including tax but it does have free shipping is $700 - $150 = $550

Blue Ox will pay to have my old tow bar shipped to them.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, the $150. trade in seems to be their standard trade in I bought a new aluminum TB from them then they came out with the upgraded one with a capacity of 7500lbs instead if 5000lbs. Since they could not upgrade it I asked about a trade and the $150. was the price they gave. I never used the 5000 lbs model even for a trial fit. I declined the trade in option.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
doc

Appalachian Campers
where is Donohue, Ga> ? Lived here all my life and apparently it has slipped past me
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Another school of thought regarding locking pins is that should there be an emergency disconnecting the towed is a longer and perhaps impossible problem.
We don't use locking pins any longer. We use the "hairpin" type pins. ... (clipped the rest out)
That was what did me in , a "hairpin" type pin that got snagged by another cable and pulled.. So no, that's not the best way to go.

I use locking pins on the motor home end, I use regular snap pins on the car end... I can drop dang quick if I have to.

Due to a bicycle carrier I also use an anti-rattle clip (Blue ox product) on the motor home end too.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
where is Donohue, Ga> ? Lived here all my life and apparently it has slipped past me
OH PICKY! McDonough, GA. LOL
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

OH PICKY! McDonough, GA. LOL
Pot calls kettle small. Film at 11. LOL!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #42
KIX

[QUOTE=wa8yxm;1639320]That was what did me in , a "hairpin" type pin that got snagged by another cable and pulled.. So no, that's not the best way to go.
/QUOTE]

You're certainly entitled to your method. However, if a cable "snagged" the clip and "pulled" it then I would suggest that you should tidy up your connection cables, Additionally, you conveniently clipped the section of my post that advised to fully insert the "hairpin" clip beyond the detent all the way to the pull "ring" or loop portion of the clip.
I'm not preaching that my method is better than yours nor am I saying that your method is "not the way to go" but I am asking that if you're going to quote me then please do it accurately and completely.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote