Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Lost 2002 Acura when towing w/dolly

Four years ago on the WV interstate I lost my toad when towed with a dolly. We hit a huge pot hole, the hitch came off and both safety chains connected to dolly broke!! It was 5 am and toad ended up in out side lane against center rail on the dolly.

Lucky a 18 wheeler saw it and stopped and got on CB and called 911, we heard a noise and my wife looked out rear window and gave me bad news. I called 911 and cops already knew about it. Both dolly and toad were totaled.

Never will use a dolly again and always will use a aux brake with electrical breakaway cable.

Lucky Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgetting about wether or not the hitch itself was tight

Did you have brakes on the dolly with a break a way feature

Were the safety chains crossed

Not knocking what happened to you or how you were towing I only want to point out the same thing could of happened with a tow bar or trailer.

The same questions would pertain to any of those styles of towing.

Needless to say toads and dollies can be replaced and at least you and your wife were not hurt.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Master Tow Dolly w/No Brakes, chains were crossed and MH & Toad height were equal, I have learned a lot since then and yes we very lucky.

I have towed a big sailboat (21 ft 2500# heavy swing keel ) for years with no trouble.

Bob
Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you. Again I was not questioning how it was towed to point fingers I just wanted to know.

When I got my one and only bus which I still have I made a first test tow using a car carrier and 98 Explorer Sport with a 400 test tow, then used a dolly with it same test route and dropped the Sport in Green Bay at a stop sign because I let the left strap get loose. I then tried it four down before it lost a timing chain (Sport) at less than 100K miles.

I've since towed the MKX almost 20K four down as the preferred choice of towing.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Well, it was certainly NOT the Tow Dolly's fault!

Ed
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #6

Curious what "hitch came off" means. Does that mean the dolly female attachment point came off of the "ball" Then the chains broke and buh-bye? Trying to better understand scenario. OR, did the "pin" in the receiver fail and pull out the hitch from the motorhome.

Man, glad no-one was hurt. Also, wonder why cables failed.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
Master Tow Dolly w/No Brakes, chains were crossed and MH & Toad height were equal, I have learned a lot since then and yes we very lucky.

I have towed a big sailboat (21 ft 2500# heavy swing keel ) for years with no trouble.

Bob

Was waiting for more details too...?

Like akeyzoo asks, please share what "hitch came off" means.

I have well over 10,000 miles on my second hand dolly with no issue. Use a lock vs. key pin on the hitch coupling (but that wouldn't make a difference) and cross that safety chains.

And, as said - brakes should be used and should have a break-away system just in case. But unfortunately it is not required by law in many places so even those who flat tow, often do so without brakes

What is different about the boat trailer (except that most probably is has surge brakes with a break-away system)? Our dolly had disc, surge brakes - just for this reason.

Knowledge is power - please share what you learned
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was not the tow dolly's fault by any shade of imagination. Was the coupler tight and locked? Were the safety chains adequate for the load? And you stated no break away braking system. Sounds mostly like an operator error to me.

The same thing can happen with an improperly set up 4 down dinghy.

Ken
Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am wondering if the ball, was the correct size? We use a 2 inch ball/ and we have surge breaks and a break away cable but if the toad didn't have breaks, well this is a Break sell point to me anyways.
jmo
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't tow a dolly or trailer with any other type of hitch. I can't lose the dolly or trailer. Glad everyone was safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	56542  
Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
I don't tow a dolly or trailer with any other type of hitch. I can't lose the dolly or trailer. Glad everyone was safe.

A pintle hook is not designed to prevent standard trailer coupler from coming off of the hitch ball. There is also a good possibility that the top portion of the pintle hook would not be able to close far enough to insert the pin through the pintle hook. The top of the coupler will sit further above the hitch ball than what the pintle hook was designed for.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
A pintle hook is not designed to prevent standard trailer coupler from coming off of the hitch ball. There is also a good possibility that the top portion of the pintle hook would not be able to close far enough to insert the pin through the pintle hook. The top of the coupler will sit further above the hitch ball than what the pintle hook was designed for.
Pintle type hitches come in hook and ball type, some are adjustable and are generally used for heavier tonque and load weights. The pintle arm fits easily over the ball and allows the trailer coupler to rotate and lock and move normally. This along with the coupler locking mechanism provide added security to keep the assembly in place. On a pintle ball assemble, not a pintle ring/hook assemble what is the pintle arm designed for if not to assist in keeping the coupler seated on the ball?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
Pintle type hitches come in hook and ball type, some are adjustable and are generally used for heavier tonque and load weights. The pintle arm fits easily over the ball and allows the trailer coupler to rotate and lock and move normally. This along with the coupler locking mechanism provide added security to keep the assembly in place. On a pintle ball assemble, not a pintle ring/hook assemble what is the pintle arm designed for if not to assist in keeping the coupler seated on the ball?
I assume that's a Draw-Tite. Specs are a bit incomplete on their website.

How much can you adjust the "pinch" when locking? Thanks.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The pintle and ball combo is just a either or you can tow either type of trailer hitch.

Tags
dolly, towing