Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #15

Scottdale,
What is the towing capacity on your Workhorse chassis? What's the hitch rated for? Is it 5000# ?
We are so glad that you are all O.K. and there were no injuries........

Ronnie,
You might want to give Spartan a call and check to see if your chassis is involved in the recall for hitches. My chassis was. They may have gone back to 2006.

Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ben, found that thread I was looking for yesterday not sure it will cover you just check it out.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca-roni View Post
Scottdale,
What is the towing capacity on your Workhorse chassis? What's the hitch rated for? Is it 5000# ?
We are so glad that you are all O.K. and there were no injuries........

Ronnie,
You might want to give Spartan a call and check to see if your chassis is involved in the recall for hitches. My chassis was. They may have gone back to 2006.
Towing capacity is 4000 lbs and the the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs.

007, my rig was not on the recall list that I could see.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will try this again.. IN 2006 I lost my towed when a pin came out... Now, I know several things, 1 said pin was properly pinned in place and 2. nobody messed with it. between last inspection and failure. (Best guess is the brake brake-away cable pulled the lock pin.. won't happen again I assure you)

Page 2

The first warning I got that something was amiss was courtesy of US-GEAR when the alarm (brakes) went off

And I did not, quite, loose the towed... Those blue ox safety cables that looked a bit anemic for the job I was asking of 'em.. HELD, just like they were supposed to.

Let me say nice things about Blue Ox and US Gear.. (IN fact I think I just did)

As for the loose bolts (in my case on the base plate) problem.......

Routine inspection got those.. I got lucky
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
The hitch recall was on Putnam hitches on Spartan chassis. They were breaking, not coming unbolted. The welds were not properly radiused. Putnam declared bankruptsy and went out of business rather than take the responsibility. Spartan stepped up to the plate and replaced them on recall.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #20

Sorry to hear about your accident and happy no one was injured. Newmar and other manufacturers were using tubular Hidden Hitches about the time your motorhome was made. Those hitches have a history of breaking loose at the mounting bolts. Just wonder if yours was a tubular (not square) Hidden Hitch?
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident and happy no one was injured. Newmar and other manufacturers were using tubular Hidden Hitches about the time your motorhome was made. Those hitches have a history of breaking loose at the mounting bolts. Just wonder if yours was a tubular (not square) Hidden Hitch?
Mine was the tubular one.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even with my Mountain Master aux. brake which activates the toad brake electronically would have failed in this situation. Guess we had all better check our hitches! Glad no one was hurt.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This past January in Oklahoma we had a breakaway situation as well. Somehow the receiver pin from the hitch fell out or was taken out by some idiot.

We have a Blue Ox Aventa and Brake Buddy. Thankfully, both did their job. I felt a large thump on the motorhome and could see my Jeep wandering out into the hammer lane.

I pulled over to the shoulder immediately. The Brake Buddy and the break away switch stopped the Jeep behind the motorhome in a straight line. One of the safety cables had come off. There was only a small scratch on the Jeep and the cables were stretched. I needed to have a bolt replaced on the Aventa were it had scrapped the road - nothing too serious. Brake Buddy even sent me a replacement break away switch at NO CHARGE!

Route 66 RV - Claremore, OK were outstanding. They installed a new eight pin connector and a locking pin on the spot just at closing time.

We were very lucky we did not hurt someone or have major damage to our vehicles. I would never drive without the Brake Buddy for sure! Yes - my break away was attached to the hitch - but I will now look for somewhere else to hook it up.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #24

K Man, glad all went well with your incident.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another reason to use Loctite, have nuts spot welded, or have solids welds done for hitch to bumper to frame. Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #26

Be careful what you tow with your motorhome.

I had a gas MH that had a rated towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. Low and behold, when I was under the coach checking something else I found a sticker on the hitch that was rated 3,500 lbs. We ended up buying a car for a toad that was under this weight.

I see people towing large, heavy toads behind gas MH's that I know are overloaded. There was a guy in a campground that was towing a T-bird on a trailer. I was curious about his hitch so I checked it. Guess what? The welds on the brackets were cracked and coming loose on both sides.

Please be careful that the equipment you intend on towing does not exceed the capabilities of the towbar, hitch, or the motorhome.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #27

I had a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer that I was not happy with the hitch that came with the coach, even tho it was rated at 5000 pounds. I had a local hitch shop weld on a 10,000 pound rated hitch. Subsequently, I had some friends with Fleetwood products and we looked at their attachment points and they were not much different than my Winnebago. They also had much better hitches put on. Those hitches were way overkill for what we all towed (gas engines), but we sure never worried about broken hitch attachments any more.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote