Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lost the car

Runaway Car! This happened not to far from us. I didn't see it but heard the story on local news.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Amazing

Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Wow, that is my biggest fear every time I tow!!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sure glad nothing serious happened. I familiar with that intersection.

I wonder if the safety cables were attached? My system had an extra set of cables that I ran thru the front core support. Then again, my plate is also mounted to the front core support.

That plate looks like it was mounted to the bumber and the welds holding the crush tubes (bumper bracket) failed.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No safety brake line?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! I thought all baseplates bolted to the frame, not the bumper!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! I thought all baseplates bolted to the frame, not the bumper!

I know mine does.
It would be interesting to know the base plate brand.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Have seen this on several occasions--but not personally. Several years ago, I did have the step-down receiver hitch break while exiting a campgrounds. The safety cables did their job and the toad eventually bumped into the back of the coach, letting me know I had a problem.

Problem with this situation is that the the base plate separates from the toad frame, taking the safety cable hitch points and the break-away switch with it. As a result, the toad is free--no cables, no break-away aux brake. This is why I like the Blue OX system which adds a second set of cables, designed to connect the baseplate to a point further back in the frame structure--gives you a fighting chance to keep the toad attached, even in a major frame failure.

Also interesting to note that most break away systems are designed to activate only if the safety cables fail [ie, break-away lanyard longer than safety cables] End result: your toad can repeatedly yo-yo on the safety cables, banging the rear of your coach, without the break-away system ever deploying.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Have seen this sort thing on several occasions--but not personally. Several years ago, I had the step-down reciever hitch brake while exiting a campgrounds. The safety cables did their job and the toad eventually bumped into the back of the coach, letting me know I had a problem.
Problem with this situation is that the the base plate separates from the toad frame, taking the safety cable hitch points and the break-away switch with it. As a result, the toad is free--no cables, no break-away aux brake. This is why I like the Blue OX system which adds a second set of cables, designed to connect the baseplate to a point further back in the frame structure--gives you a fighting chance to keep the toad attached, even in a major frame failure.
Also interesting to note that most break away systems are designed to activate only if the safety cables fail [ie, break-away lanyard laonger than safety cables] End result: your toad can repeatedly yo-yo on the safety cables, banging the rear of your coach, without the break-away system ever deploying.

I guess anything is possible, but I can't see a baseplate breaking loose from the frame unless it was not installed properly!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #10

MS Happy Camper--the recent thread posted by a fellow hell-bent on backing his toad, or the railroad crossing I "jumped" while coming into Rochester NY many years ago, can all contribute to weakening the connection between the frame and a baseplate--properly installed or otherwise. Again, that is why I like the secondary safety cables that come with some systems. Periodic inspection of these connections is also a good idea.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
This is why you need a breakaway cable and aux brake system to apply the car brakes if it comes loose.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
MS Happy Camper--the recent thread posted by a fellow hell-bent on backing his toad, or the railroad crossing I "jumped" while coming into Rochester NY many years ago, can all contribute to weakening the connection between the frame and a baseplate--properly installed or otherwise. Again, that is why I like the secondary safety cables that come with some systems. Periodic inspection of these connections is also a good idea.

I guess it depends on the baseplate and how it is mounted. My Roadmaster baseplate bolts to the frame with several large, high-strength bolts that are torqued during installation. I would think that ALL of them would have to shear off in order for the baseplate to separate from the frame, which would be highly unlikely. But, like I said, I guess anything is possible!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #13

I'd like to know why the baseplate was 2 miles away and not still attached to the towbar.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
This is why I not only run with a break away brake system but I also have chains attached to the factory tie down hooks on my CRV that attach to the tow plate and the cables that attach to the MH.

Did they have a Toad brake system?? Wonder who installed their system.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote