RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Low ground clearance toad & drop height questions

Hi,

Most of the toads I am looking at have 5.1" to 5.7" ground clearance.

Is this or is asking for issues when towing?

As the bumpers are lower than SUV's does this mean an unreasonable drop height?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
vwd

It really depends on the baseplate design and where it exits the grill on the car you choose. The baseplate manufacturers website sometimes gives the tab heights. As a rule a Roadmaster with a cross bar will give you a couple of inches more height but then you have to deal with the crossbar.

vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Thanks Vwd,

I had seen Tab height mentioned before but was unsure what it was.

The Hyundi Gensis Coupe which is the top of my list has a 16inch tab height according to Blue Ox.

I need to measure my hitch.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ground clearance isn't an issue, it's the difference between the receiver and the baseplate connection (tab height) that you should focus on. The goal is to get the towbar as level as possible but you generally have a +/- 3" tolerance.

Baseplate manufacturers should give you a tab height. Measure to the center of your motorhome receiver (suspension aired up if you have a air suspension). Subtract the 2 numbers and you will know pretty quick if you are going to have a problem. Drop receivers usually go up to 6" but some bigger drops can be found. Some towbars can be adjusted up to 3" so you really shouldn't have a problem.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Ground clearance isn't an issue, it's the difference between the receiver and the baseplate connection (tab height) that you should focus on. The goal is to get the towbar as level as possible but you generally have a +/- 3" tolerance.

Baseplate manufacturers should give you a tab height. Measure to the center of your motorhome receiver (suspension aired up if you have a air suspension). Subtract the 2 numbers and you will know pretty quick if you are going to have a problem. Drop receivers usually go up to 6" but some bigger drops can be found. Some towbars can be adjusted up to 3" so you really shouldn't have a problem.
Thanks Roger,

I will do that. Will report back later.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

There are 2 issues related to drop bars that I have experience, the low height and the extra length added by the drop bar shank length. I tried a 6" drop bar that I had on hand and the drop bar was scraping ground on steep declines or inclines. That particular drop bar had a long shank and added a lot of length to the overhang of the coach. Careful measuring indicated I only needed a 4" drop to be one inch from level so I purchased a Meyer FHK45054 drop bar, it has a solid bar instead of a tube and has a much shorter shank with multiple holes for adjustment of length. Amazon has them. My overhang is significantly reduced and clearance increased.

I highly recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/Meyer-FHK4505...nch+drop+hitch
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #7

Thanks Polyian,

I will keep that drop hitch in mind.
I definitely do not want to scrape anything.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Most of the toads I am looking at have 5.1" to 5.7" ground clearance. Is this or is asking for issues when towing?
Why would the ground clearance of a towed vehicle would by any more of an issue when towing it than it would be when just driving it around.

If anything, the ground clearance should be higher when being towed as the towed vehicle is not laden by 300# - 400# of driver and passenger.

I have been towing 2 seat Mazda Miatas (the latest one is the lowest) for 12+ years and have never had an issue.

I use a 4" drop and the bar is level. We sometimes tow an Equinox and the bar is level there too.

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a Scion xB (2 gen) behind my Canyon Star. I wanted my tow bar level so I have a 12" drop from motorhome to toad tabs. It tows beautifully but there are times when the back end of the motorhome lowers due to the the front end going up a significant incline (driveway etc) and the lowest part of the tow bar will drag the road surface a little. The worst part of this is the safety cables run under the tow bar so this dragging can rub the coating on the cable. After 3 years I bought new cables. I am thinking I will get a 9 inch drop to improve this problem. The Scion tows so well I don't know it is back there.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #10

Hi Healeyman,

I was equating ground clearance to the height of the hitch. I know its Tab height which is the is the important factor. We had a Miata back in Europe about 12 years ago and loved it.

Hi Tetonchief,

I ser the Tab on the XB is 14.25inches.

So your bar drops 12 inches, thats a lot.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Center of hitch to ground is 19inches. Blue ox puts the Genesis coupe tab height at 16inches.

My meaurements could be out as the ground is a bit pitted. I will measure properly next time its on a level surface.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi Healeyman,

I was equating ground clearance to the height of the hitch. I know its Tab height which is the is the important factor. We had a Miata back in Europe about 12 years ago and loved it.

Hi Tetonchief,

I ser the Tab on the XB is 14.25inches.

So your bar drops 12 inches, thats a lot.
Yes, just to be sure, when I ordered the drop receiver I measured from the center of the motorhome receiver to the center of the Blue Ox attachment pin holes, thus the 12 inches. I thought having the bar exactly level was the best thing but in my case I should have gone with a 9 inch drop for better ground clearance of the hitch when the height of the back of the motor home changes to the height of the toads front end. (I guess I am one of those that likes learning the hard way). my Canyon Star is 39 feet long from front to hitch and it slopes up at the rear--so the hitch is pretty high off the ground. (This is one gasser that would benefit from a tag axle).
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't seen it mentioned yet about the drop hitches, but be sure and ask what the weight rating is on them !

I was going to get a double reeiver to do bikes and jeep, but the gvwr for the double one was only 4k and our modified jeep is at least 5k
Old 12-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Unicorn,

Being the tower of a small, low stance, car, I never thought of it that way.

Low towed ground clearance does not always equate to low attachment point height.

My Miata attachment point is exactly the same height as my Equinox SUV attachment point.

Safe Travels,

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad