Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Lube pumps

Hi All -- I'm a newbie and I need some help -- Just got a quote to set up my 05 Buick Rendezvous for towing 4 wheels down -- $4300 !! - I love the car so I'm leaning towards going for it. -- BUT -- I know nothing about lube pumps - are they a problem ? - Are they hard to engage and disengage ? - Will I have battery problems running it and the brake system I plan to have installed ? - So much to learn !! -HELP !!

FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Fred

That seems excessive for a tow setup. I recently traded a vehicle that had alube pump setup and it cost me about 2000 a year ago and that included parts and labor for pump,lights and blue ox base plate. I never had a problem engaging the system. It is fairly simple. One plug from the motorhome and toad engages the pump and lights on toad . The pump is powered from the motorhome and has a control panel and warning light and buzzer on the dash of the motorhome. The reason i traded the vehicle was to get a lighter vehicle and one that did not need a lube pump(ChevyHHr) Maybe you should check somewhere else of another option on towing a toad. Check with remco, they may be able to provide an axle lock.

dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Pulled my minivan with a lube pump for a year and then gave up and bought a Jeep.

I think my setup was around that amount for the pump, baseplate, Blue Ox tow bar, wiring the van with a separate harness, and the Brake Buddy.

I gave up because the pump did not cool the transmission properly with the heat of the rear diesel. My Remco monitor in the coach would start chirping whenever the outside temp was over 85 degrees.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lube Pumps

I too, wanted to pull my F-150, when I purchased my MH, in '07. I asked CW for an estimate. They said "about $5,000". I said "No Way!". So I bought a new car and a tow dolly. After a year of struggling with the tow dolly, I sold the dolly and traded for a Saturn Vue, that could be towed "four down" . I guess what I'm saying is that in the end, you might want to save money & trouble and go for a car that is already set for towing, 4 down. (Still, it cost me just over $2,000, not including the price of the car)
Roland & Jerri, with Maggie & Mollie, our Pups; '05 Fleetwood Providence, 39' DP; '08 Saturn. "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits" (Einstein)
gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have been towing a Buick LeSabre for four years with a lube pump with no problems. If your price quote includes the towbar it would be about right. The lube pump gets the power from the coach so you will not have a battery drain from the pump.
Chuck & Mary
2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
2008 Enclave Toad
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
Thanks Guys -- I think I'll do some more research before committing -- I need to keep the $$ down so buying another car ( Vue / HHR / CRV / Jeep ) and then adding another $2000-$3000 to set up will probably take me over my budget -- so -- I may have to keep my Buick and hope for the best. -- Thanks Again for your input
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
Coastal Campers
We have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous Had the remco pump, tow bar and seperate lighting installed. Price was a little more than your quote, then qgain, labor in MA might be more than FL. Have about 9000 miles and no problem with car or rv. Lube pump is powered from the RV so not a battery issue, however, if you add a break system you might look at a charging kit from the rv.Good luck,
jim and di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
The only battery drain will be due to the brake system for the toad. If you are concerned about this go to TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer This device works as advertised. I would make the same purchase again.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Did you notice the price of the Toad Charge? I replaced ours with the 10 amp version 2 years ago and it was $59.95. They are really proud of that unit! Works as advertized, but a bit pricey.
Chuck & Mary
2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
2008 Enclave Toad
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that seems steep for a tow package... Though in truth I forget how much I paid

The Lube pump is an electric pump that circulates transmission fluid so the bearings in the trans do not run dry when towing. It is very important that those bearings do NOT run dry..

I, personally, consider the lube pump a SECOND choice to either an axle lock (Front wheel drive) or Drive Shaft Disconnect (RWD) as these devices said bearings do not run, period (you tow in park).. Lube pumps have been known to fail.. USUALLY when they do there is an alarm in the motor home that goes off but.. I have heard of the odd exception.

The Axle lock and Drive Shaft disconnects are designed based on technology that's older than I am and has a mean time between failure of "I won't live that long"

That said.. Many folks are very happy with the lube pump and though it would be my 2nd choice.. It is a very close second.

The other thing you need is a way of STOPPING the Buick when it needs stopping.. Do not count on the motor home to do that. Use a good aux braking system.

First chioce for me is the US-Gear Unified brake decelarator (Story follows) 2nd choice is the M&G air brake system,, Again it's a tight race (IN my case the final factor was the M&G wont' fit my towed.. Kind of made it easy)

Coming across the north side of Cincinnatti a motorist pulled up beside me and said a word that got my attention FIRE! (Rear Tire on bicycle on fire)

I pulled off on a handy exit ramp. did the walk around and sure enough the back tire on the bike was dragging on the pavement, It was not on fire, but I suspect it looked like it at 55mph.

The cross bar that holds the hitch receiver on the MH and broken off, BOTH ends by the time I got stopped, and was lying more or less on the pavement (The bike tire was holding up one end.. or rather what was left of it)

The car... stopped... exactly where it should have stopped. It did NOT run into the motor home, nor did it pull back, it stopped right where it was supposed to.

The US-Gear system is porprotional (I can adjust the gain so as to "Balance" the stopping power so the car stopps itself and the motor home stoppes itself and neither stopps the other) it's also progressive (The harder I stand on the brakes, the harder it stands on the brakes)

If I had to guess... I'd say I have the settings.. just about.. perfect.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote