Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #1

m&g brake

I have a 2011 silverado and I am looking at the m&g brake set up with breakaway. any comments on this brake Thanks Dave
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Great system, proportional, quick hook up and fool proof(I'm the fool that can prove it). The self install was easy on my GC, but check on their website as some require professional installation due to things needing to be moved. Took about 3 hrs. complete toad and coach with the break away. Hooking up is 10 seconds, just snap the quick connects onto the car & coach. Nothing to check, no electrical drain. Some will say that if airline leaks you'll lose braking "BULL" I tested mine with the 1/4" line open and the compressor kept up with multiple braking attempts. I've also just hooked up the flex line without hitching up and stepped to the coach brake and the car wouldn't budge with the throttle applied. All I and say is if they have a system that will work with your vehicle, go for it
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is only one Negative that I know of with the M&G system.

Some towed cars.. it just won't fit.

If that is the case there are other systems I like.

Another issue, for me, is that with the M&G you do not have a lot of driver control save for the brake pedal.. With some systems. such as the US-Gear system I had, I could do any of the following FROM THE DRIVER'S SEAT in the motor home.

Set the towed brakes without setting the coach brakes (useful if I just hooked up and in in a "Downhill" attitude to extend the tow bar arms by making the car "Drag"

Completely disable the towed brakes (Turn gain to zero)

Adjust Gain (proportional ratio)

Check system status (red or green light)

You can do none of those things with the M&G, However that said, normally, you don't need to do any of those things.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the M&G system and have no complaints. I had it installed by the folks at M&G in Athens, TX in about an hour. Total cost including the break-away was $1012.00.

Being truly proportional and operating off the coach air brake system, there are no dials, buttons, etc to adjust. It is important to hold the coach brake on for about a minute to pressurize the auxiliary air tank after hooking up. Also, do not cap the air quick connect on the toad.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I've been using since 2001. 1st on my 1999 Jeep Wrangler and now on my 2008 Jeep wrangler. Have both the aux brake and brake away system. Totally happy.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I use the M&G system and have no complaints. I had it installed by the folks at M&G in Athens, TX in about an hour. Total cost including the break-away was $1012.00.

Being truly proportional and operating off the coach air brake system, there are no dials, buttons, etc to adjust. It is important to hold the coach brake on for about a minute to pressurize the auxiliary air tank after hooking up. Also, do not cap the air quick connect on the toad.
M&G recommends and supplies a 90 degree spark plug boot to put over the male air fitting on the toad. This keeps road debris, water, etc. from possibly getting into the air line. The line does move air in and out when operating the toad as a separate vehicle, which is the reason to not make it air tight, just shielded.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake