Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #1

M & G Braking System

Does anyone know the disconnect procedure for this braking system? Do you pump the brakes on the toad vehicle after removing the air supply line? With ignition on or off?

Used toad for first time. After disconnecting and driving toad vehicle, could smell brakes. Did not smell while towing. Smell would eventually go away.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Towed 2011 CRV with M&G brakes installed, never had any brake smell at all.. I just disconnect the air hose and drive away. I know the brakes don't drag after unhooking because I forgot to put in park before unhooking and car started to roll away. If yours smell they need checked.

Dave

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

As djhinds said just unhook air hose & drive away. While installing the system the adjustment procedure is verified by driving a few miles using only the parking brake and checking front brake temps to insure that the toad brakes are not dragging. Perhaps yours need a slight adjustment.

The only time the toad brakes are activated is when the coach brakes are, otherwise there is no pressure in the system. Perhaps if you only smell something after you unhook it could be oil or tire debris getting on the toad engine components and "burning" off when you drive the toad after a long tow.

Ron
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

thanks for the response guys.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do the same with mine , Just take off air hose and drive it . That having been said , on a couple of occasions I have had a smell. Not the brakes but in the front of toad engine around fan belt area . This would be after a heavy rain and I suspect it is caused by moisture and road grime on belts . This stops after a few miles and causes no harm.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Did you have the break away option installed with the M&G system? When I disconnect and remove the break away cable I have to make sure and insert the extra key/trigger in the break away insert location. If not the air tank detects that the break away has been pulled and discharges the air tank to apply the brakes. It is very noticeable though. The brakes are applied to a large extent and would be very hard not to notice.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

I have the break-away system and I never remove the trigger from the switch except to test. I just hook up the other cable between the motorhome & toad. In other words the toad has a permanent cable that hangs just outside the grill to be hooked up when the toad is being towed. Hope this is not confusing you more!
Ron
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
After unhooking I have no brake drag or any other ill effect from the M&G system. If it fits your car , it's a nice product
Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
All that being said, I love my M&G braking system. I know there are other proportional air brake systems similar to the M&G, and they may be just as good, but I don't think they could be any better. On a coach with air brakes I think this type of system is the only way to go. So easy to hook up, so reliable, and works so well. I had a Blue Ox "brake in box" once and that was a joke compared to this. I hope whatever type of braking system everyone has that they all work this well.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Been using an M&G for over 130,000 miles towing and 162,000 driving. Have never had any smell attributed to the brake itself.

I have the breakaway and leave the pin in the switch. The cable stays attached to the coach and I use a snap clip on the toad end to attach to the pin.

Great system, am going to put it on our new old Jeep. The DW managed to total our '00 so now have a low mileage '99
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #11

Although we don't have an M&G system, our Air Force One is similar in principal. We've found that after an extensive pull (2-3000mi or more) we'll get an odor, especially if we've been on any dirt roads or through dusty road construction sites. Sometimes it smells like brakes, and other times like hot dirt. I've checked the toad brakes and find it's just an odor, and not a dragging brake or excessive wear. We've pulled 2 toads over 150,000 miles without ever having a real brake problem other than the odor for a few uses after pulling it.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote