Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

M and G braking system

Bought the brut, not happy; smell brakes after unhooking for mh, brake cable stripping off black rubber lining and have only towed twice for a total of maybe 80 to 100 miles.

Thinking of going to the M & G air braking system, any comments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have air brakes on the coach, the M&G is the best brake out there. I towed over 100,000 miles with one and never a problem. My buddy had one on his gas coach and had no problems with it either. If your toad is compatable, install one and you won't be sorry.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you have air brakes on the coach, the M&G is the best brake out there. I towed over 100,000 miles with one and never a problem. My buddy had one on his gas coach and had no problems with it either. If your toad is compatable, install one and you won't be sorry.
In my opinion, M & G is the finest braking system available for towing behind any coach with air brakes.

The M & G inserts a cylinder in-between your power booster and the master cylinder on your towed vehicle. The model for your vehicle is sized exactly to give you just the right amount of braking for any given brake pressure in your coach and is proportional, so if you press harder on the brakes in your coach, the car brakes harder.

The optional breakaway kit stores some air in a small tank in your car and applies the brakes fully if your car becomes separated from the coach. Everything is installed under the hood. Nothing in the car or attached to the brake pedal. No cables to break or fray. The system does not depress the pedal in the car, so the brake lights on the car do not interfere with the turn signal/brake light signals from the coach. When you connect or disconnect the car from the coach the only thing you have to do is connect/disconnect the air hose. Easy Peasy!

The system is priced very competitively with the other systems on the market.

We love ours and highly recommend it to anyone who has a vehicle that they make it for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
In my opinion, M & G is the finest braking system available for towing behind any coach with air brakes.

The M & G inserts a cylinder in-between your power booster and the master cylinder on your towed vehicle. The model for your vehicle is sized exactly to give you just the right amount of braking for any given brake pressure in your coach and is proportional, so if you press harder on the brakes in your coach, the car brakes harder.

The optional breakaway kit stores some air in a small tank in your car and applies the brakes fully if your car becomes separated from the coach. Everything is installed under the hood. Nothing in the car or attached to the brake pedal. No cables to break or fray. The system does not depress the pedal in the car, so the brake lights on the car do not interfere with the turn signal/brake light signals from the coach. When you connect or disconnect the car from the coach the only thing you have to do is connect/disconnect the air hose. Easy Peasy!

We love ours and highly recommend it to anyone who has a vehicle that they make it for.
I completely agree! Very accurate assessment in my opinion. I don't currently have it as my toad started on fire while towing, but if I go back with a 4 wheels down the M & G would be my only choice for brakes.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

X4! Had our's installed last year and love, love, love it!
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

I've owned both m&g and Airforce one. The m&g is very good, but the Airforce one is just as good. One good thing with the Airforce one it can be moved toad to toad when you trade. The m&g is vehicle model specific and not interchangeable so you have to buy a new one or trade, at a price, if you buy a new toad. Just telling you there are options just as good and effective.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Call M and G to make sure it will work on your car. It will not work on on a Chevy sonic, not enough room. So went with the SMI Air Force One.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Brake cable stripping off black lining?? Not sure what you mean but it sounds like it's not tied up right and drags on the ground. Could also be that the unit in the TOAD (If that's the unit with the brake smell) is not installed properly or out of adjustment.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post

Yup. Very well described. We've just had ours installed, and have taken a few trips with the rig. So far, so good. Compared to braking distances before we towed, I can not discern any difference with a 6,000 pound towed behind the coach - likewise, the yukon feels exactly as it did before, no change whatsoever despite the added air system connects.

It's seems like a very good choice.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I've owned both m&g and Airforce one. The m&g is very good, but the Airforce one is just as good. One good thing with the Airforce one it can be moved toad to toad when you trade. The m&g is vehicle model specific and not interchangeable so you have to buy a new one or trade, at a price, if you buy a new toad. Just telling you there are options just as good and effective.
Air Force One is good but a PITA to install compared to M&G. That said, some vehicles don't have room for the M&G in which case I would choose Air Force One.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #11

I live about 40 miles from M&G, took my rig and Wrangler Unlimited in on Weds. They put my rig in one bay and Jeep in another, I don't think I was there two hours. They installed the breakaway as well. Quick connect air hose and a breakaway "ripcord" attach under bumper... they put the pin for the breakaway on a pivoting arm so you can swing it under the bumper when not in use. Nice guys, was happy to get it factory installed.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
We have 40k on our M&G and it works great no problems. The only issue is if it will fit your toad.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too wonder about the brake cable.. I wonder if he means the break-away cable and if that cable is too tight (There should be slack) it will activate the brakes when it should not. That may be his problem No slack in the break-away or break-away instelled improperly

Or... Some folks who have never driven a stick shift keep their left foot on the brake pedal.... I learned on a stick.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Air Force One is good but a PITA to install compared to M&G. That said, some vehicles don't have room for the M&G in which case I would choose Air Force One.
I disagree with your analysis. I have installed both systems and the M&G has to be very exact in the setup, or you will burn up your brakes, whereas there is no adjustment on the AF1 system. I have also transferred the same AF1 system from one Ford, to one Chevy and to two Dodges. You have to buy a new M&G system, or trade at a cost, for each new model vehicle.