Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #15

"His comment about the AFO was he gets a number of complaints about the lack of brake pedal adjustment and the loss of vacuum after a number of sequential brake applications. As it was explained when the vacuum is gone the brake booster no longer functions and the servo cannot provide sufficient pressure to effectively operate the toad brakes. Apparently the venturi/pressure unit in the toad under some circumstances cannot keep up the the vacuum demand of the toad power brake booster. This MAY be as a result of incorrect brake application of the coach driver."

I think I would give SMI a call and ask them about this. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about the Air Force One from folks who no nothing about it. Why would anyone complain about brake pedal adjustment when none is required with this system? It's directly proportional to the brake pedal in the coach.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadNomads View Post
a few Questions; can you explain the critical adjustment on the M&G, also as I understand it the brake lights on the toad is provided by the toad itself by the depression of the servo on the brake pedal.

The M&G requires a bulb kit (or wiring diode kit) for tail, brake and turn signals powered by the coach, a little extra work but seems worthwhile.

Finally, these are the 2 kit requirements and costs:

AFO $999.95 Full kit (brake light only)
$99.00 Toad Wiring Kit (diode interface kit) not really required unless you want full lighting
$Free shipping

M&G $640.00 Base kit
$195.00 Breakaway kit
$ 35.00 Air line
$ 74.95 Alert kit (installs a toad brake monitor in the coach)
$ 53.95 Wiring kit (provides brake, parking, and turn signals)
$ Plus shipping

Comparing the 2 kits with the same capabilities the M&G is more expensive (especially when you add the shipping costs)

I asked the dealer locally about both units and the problems he has seen. He could not provide any negative comments other then the M&G was a pain to install because of having to reposition the master cylinder. His comment about the AFO was he gets a number of complaints about the lack of brake pedal adjustment and the loss of vacuum after a number of sequential brake applications. As it was explained when the vacuum is gone the brake booster no longer functions and the servo cannot provide sufficient pressure to effectively operate the toad brakes. Apparently the venturi/pressure unit in the toad under some circumstances cannot keep up the the vacuum demand of the toad power brake booster. This MAY be as a result of incorrect brake application of the coach driver. Would like to see some comments on this.

Finally, no one where I live wants to install the M&G, this is not the case with the AFO so if I do go with the M&G I will have to do it myself! Or take a trip down to Texas. Being a reasonable mechanic I would not be opposed to working on the Liberty, its screwing around with the Coach air brake lines that gives me the weebee jeebies.

Thanks for all the GREAT comments!
Dan
The critical adjustment is in the M&G unit. When you install it between the vacuum booster and the master cylinder the unit has to be adjusted to the point it will have sufficient travel with the brake pedal to apply the brakes, but not push on the master cylinder when brakes are released.
I have not heard of or experienced an instances where the AFO didn't apply the brakes on the toad. I have observed the pedal on several occasions while the DW operated the MH brakes and never saw a problem.
Like I said in my opinion they are both good units and require pretty much the same set up on the coach side, but the AFO is just less hassle to install or move from one vehicle to another.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine