Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

M&G Install on 2007 or later Jeep Wrangler

I have looked through all the threads that I could find related to installation of an M&G on the later model Jeep Wranglers. Could not find many pictures showing how the ABS system was moved or other mods to get the system to fit.
If anyone has pics of their installs I would like to see how the space was made.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I have looked through all the threads that I could find related to installation of an M&G on the later model Jeep Wranglers. Could not find many pictures showing how the ABS system was moved or other mods to get the system to fit.
If anyone has pics of their installs I would like to see how the space was made.
I can help you out here bud. Mine is a 2009, and I had it installed by a shop in TX who does this day after day. I was somewhat horrified by the way they had to make room for the M&G, but it's been going strong now for since June of 2015. I took pics during the install...Give me a few mins to get them off my phone! Stay tuned!!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok.. here are the pics. If you need larger images of any, let me know. I had to keep the images on the small side so that they'd upload.

The last picture shows it completed, and you can see that they had to cut away the plastic housing that previously held parts that are now extended further outwards and towards the headlights. They used a lot of tie wraps to help keep things secure, which seemed hokey to me, but again, this shop does a LOT of these installs, so they have experience.

One of the pictures shows where they installed my "baby scuba tank" for the breakaway emergency braking. And you may notice that there's a pressure-switch on my M&G too, visible in one of the pics. This sends a signal up through to my RV dash so that I know when the brake is activated in my Jeep.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Statgeek, i have 05 liberty with M&G. never had issues before install but now a couple times my battery has been run down, I assume by the pressure switch not staying open.. HAVE you had any issue with this ?/ just curious

btw I really do like how easy the M&G is to set up and go..
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Statgeek, i have 05 liberty with M&G. never had issues before install but now a couple times my battery has been run down, I assume by the pressure switch not staying open.. HAVE you had any issue with this ?/ just curious

btw I really do like how easy the M&G is to set up and go..

Are you leaving the key in ignition?? In my wrangler, there's no key in the ignition, and all lights are powered by the RV. I did not install a charging line from RV to Jeep because there's really nothing running in the Jeep at all, so no power draw. I've gone 12 hours without any battery issues in my Jeep.

Maybe your liberty requires the key to be in ignition in order to free the steering wheel? I don't know that to be true or not...but if true, then it could be draining the battery too. In which case, you could install a battery shut-off at the batter terminal. That's adds an extra step to your connect/disconnect routine, but it'll solve the problem.

And I agree-the M&G is slick as heck.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Statgeek that is perfect! I will be tackling this next week so nice to have some pics to understand what I am getting into. They really moved the ABS out of the way to install then fitted back in nicely. I have seen some with tie wraps holding it in and that is what I wanted to avoid.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Are you leaving the key in ignition?? In my wrangler, there's no key in the ignition, and all lights are powered by the RV. I did not install a charging line from RV to Jeep because there's really nothing running in the Jeep at all, so no power draw. I've gone 12 hours without any battery issues in my Jeep.

Maybe your liberty requires the key to be in ignition in order to free the steering wheel? I don't know that to be true or not...but if true, then it could be draining the battery too. In which case, you could install a battery shut-off at the batter terminal. That's adds an extra step to your connect/disconnect routine, but it'll solve the problem.

And I agree-the M&G is slick as heck.
no key in ignition, this happens when the Toad is stored in home garage. i removed the inline fuse testing some theories we shall see what happens...
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Statgeek that is perfect! I will be tackling this next week so nice to have some pics to understand what I am getting into. They really moved the ABS out of the way to install then fitted back in nicely. I have seen some with tie wraps holding it in and that is what I wanted to avoid.
Hey--Glad that the pics will be useful! As I said, I didn't take this job on myself, but I was so curious about it that I snapped a lot of photos.

NOTE: The guy who installed mine did a LOT of fiddling with it during the install. I believe he was adjusting the length of something inside the unit itself so that it was EXACTLY the right length. He would turn some bolt inside the unit, hold it in place, wiggle (I imagine to see how much slop was still there), remove, turn, test, remove, turn, test... It went on for a while! Eventually he even had a second guy do it too. I guess if it's not adjusted properly it either wont depress the brakes on Air-power, or maybe it WILL depress the brakes when you don't want it to? So this fiddling went on for a while before he was satisfied.

Once it was all installed, he lifted the back axle so that my rear tires were freely rotating. He connected the air system to a compressor that was set at the correct PSI. Then he started the Jeep ignition, put it in gear, and allowed the back wheels to start to turn. When he applied air pressure, they stopped immediately, giving evidence that it worked. Then he removed the air pressure to verify that the system "let go" of the brakes.

After all of this, I did a test drive to verify that everything worked alright. He warned me that initially there may be some slightly odd behavior with one or more of the dash board brake lights, but I noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

The only problem I've ever had with this M&G happened one winter when I was traveling to Big Bend National Park. We ran into some seriously bad weather--freezing rain. That's a bit odd for Texas in the winter, but it does happen in the Big Bend area. I posted a few pix to give you an idea... that wheel is on a mountain bike that was on the hitch of my Jeep...

Anyway, the M&G did freeze up on me at one point and I had to disconnect it. The problem went away after warmer weather, but I took it back to the shop that installed it just to check it out. We deduced that one of two things probably happened. Most likely there was some moisture in my air system that froze up somewhere along the airline, causing it to stick in the on position. I wasn't as diligent then to pull the little valves in my RV air brakes that releases moisture, so that could have been the problem. Alternatively, the breakaway switch may have gotten water or ice into the connections, causing the switch to close and the M&G to think that it was no longer connected to the RV. We re-wired the breakaway switch just in case, but it seemed fine on visual inspection. Judging from the ice though, this may have been the cause.

Anyway... just more info to share. I hope your install goes smoothly and you enjoy your M&G as much as I do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3864.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	139534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3584.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	139536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3622.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	139537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3667.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	139538  

Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Statgeek,
I've installed two M & G systems in our toads. One an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and the other, an '03 Jeep TJ Rubicon. Both were relatively mild installations. The "Screw" turning you're referencing in your post about watching the gent install it, is in reference to adjusting one of two adjustments in the M & G unit. One adjusts the clearance between the power brake push rod tip and the M & G diaphragm piston.

That's on the front side. One the back side, there's an adjustment screw that is between the output of the M & G push rod and the brake master cylinder piston. Both adjustments are critical. There's literally only a few thousandths between each adjustment. And that's why it takes usually a few install/remove/install/remove attempts so that those adjustments are absolutely correct. This is why M & G highly recommends the install be done by a competent shop.

I personally think the M & G braking system is the best on the market for not only simplicity but, ease of operation, NOTHING IS ATTACHED to the toads brake pedal, nothing needs to be lifted in and out of the toad and stored, there is no possible battery drain due to any electronics involved in it's operation, and a really, really good part, the M & G braking system has ZERO effect on the toads brake lights which, is especially good of you plan on using the stock toads (Jeeps) tail lights as toad lights which, I've done for decades.

By the way, I've got a complete M & G system (almost complete) for sale in the classifieds here on this forum. It happens to fit any Jeep TJ model is anyone's interested. Check out the classifieds for info.

I've followed this thread because we have recently purchased a 2015 JKUR and I will most likely purchase and install an M & G system on it. It's going to be a way tougher install due to the lousy ABS system that's now installed on all Rubicons. It is what it is and, must be dealt with for something like this. Oh well, what's new, my stuff is always hard to manage.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you for the photos, we just bought a 14 wrangler and traded the 03 wrangler in, I pulled the M&G system out of the 03. I have the new cylinder sitting at home to install in the next couple of days. I have a friend with a 13 and I have been asking for pictures of the ABS to see how M&G did it when they did the install. If he sends them I will post it. The instructions tell you to put the ABS unit back in its tray, but you have to get creative with the electrical plug. It doesn't look like it will fit but I guess it will.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
Thank you for the photos, we just bought a 14 wrangler and traded the 03 wrangler in, I pulled the M&G system out of the 03. I have the new cylinder sitting at home to install in the next couple of days. I have a friend with a 13 and I have been asking for pictures of the ABS to see how M&G did it when they did the install. If he sends them I will post it. The instructions tell you to put the ABS unit back in its tray, but you have to get creative with the electrical plug. It doesn't look like it will fit but I guess it will.
jleamo1,
If you've not compared them already, the M & G cylinder for the JK is a bit shorter than the one that came out of your TJ. So, "shoe-horning" it in there, while a bit snug, won't be too bad. I'm dreading the fit-up too as soon as I purchase the unit for our '15 JKUR.
Scott
Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
jleamo1,
If you've not compared them already, the M & G cylinder for the JK is a bit shorter than the one that came out of your TJ. So, "shoe-horning" it in there, while a bit snug, won't be too bad. I'm dreading the fit-up too as soon as I purchase the unit for our '15 JKUR.
Scott
Scott, yea quite a difference. When we bought the 14 I called them and ordered the new cylinder. I did the install on the 03 which was simple, the 14...well time will tell, not looking forward to it but got to have it!
I wouldn't have any other system, it worked flawlessly in the 03! I told my wife she had to shop for a toad out of the M&G fit guide
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #13

I put the M&G on our 2015 Wrangler. You have to cut a good portion of the ABS mount out and its still a tight fit. Isnt easy getting in there to cut it out either but i didnt move the ABS unit out of the way that much. The wiring isnt a big deal.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I put the M&G on our 2015 Wrangler. You have to cut a good portion of the ABS mount out and its still a tight fit. Isnt easy getting in there to cut it out either but i didnt move the ABS unit out of the way that much. The wiring isnt a big deal.
What wiring? Are you talking about some existing wiring that has to be moved to accommodate the M & G?
Scott

Tags
install