Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
M&G installed on a 2017 EcoBoost F150

Hello Friends.
I just purchased a 2017 F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost. Prior to this toad, I pulled a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the M&G Braking system, and I'm looking to have the M&G Installed on the new Ford.

I understand that the EcoBoost engine requires a K&N air filter because the Ford air filtration is right in front of the brake master cylinder, and thus in the way.

I visited the K&N website and see their air filter system for this F150 truck. To be honest, it doesn't look like it takes up any less space than the Ford Factory air system, so I'm puzzled as to why M&G requires it. I also note that the K&N is not street legal in CA and other states that adopted the CA emissions requirements. So I'm hesitant to blindly go with the K&N if, in the end, it's going to require some back-yard-mechanic style customization anyway.

Can anyone who went ahead and had an M&G installed on a late model F150 with EcoBoost and also had their recommended K&N air filter installed comment?

Better yet, share a picture of your M&G install with the K&N air filter too?

Rob
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Have you considered the Air Force One System. I have the MG system on my Jeep and love it but if it required changing the air filter to KN I would switch brands. Not a fan of oil based filtration (if that’s still the KN method) with today’s electronics and would be concerned about smog retests.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Hello Friends.
I just purchased a 2017 F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost. Prior to this toad, I pulled a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the M&G Braking system, and I'm looking to have the M&G Installed on the new Ford.

I understand that the EcoBoost engine requires a K&N air filter because the Ford air filtration is right in front of the brake master cylinder, and thus in the way.

I visited the K&N website and see their air filter system for this F150 truck. To be honest, it doesn't look like it takes up any less space than the Ford Factory air system, so I'm puzzled as to why M&G requires it. I also note that the K&N is not street legal in CA and other states that adopted the CA emissions requirements. So I'm hesitant to blindly go with the K&N if, in the end, it's going to require some back-yard-mechanic style customization anyway.

Can anyone who went ahead and had an M&G installed on a late model F150 with EcoBoost and also had their recommended K&N air filter installed comment?

Better yet, share a picture of your M&G install with the K&N air filter too?

Rob
First off and, most important. Since your truck is a '17, I'm presupposing that it has some factory warranty left, correct? If so, before I'd change one nut and bolt on or in that engine compartment, I'd run your potential thoughts for a complete air filter change by someone of authority in or where you purchased your truck from. Do not go to the sales person. Most don't know how to tie their shoes. If you at some time, developed some issue that even remotely entails the air cleaning system of the truck, as in say, failure of any sensor, any air intake sensors that may or may not be fouled up by the K & N Oil etc, and it caused some sort of damage, guess who's gonna pay for it? Pretty sure it won't be FORD.

Second, I wouldn't have a K & N if you gave it to me. It's just an opinion but, I personally think they're worthless. I presently have the M & G on our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and, I love it. I'm gonna put one on our 2015 JKUR Jeep as soon as I get around to it.

As for K & N being legal or illegal in CA, well, you're gonna have to call them because they do have some of their equipment that IS legal in CA. But, you have to make darn sure that, if you purchase an air filter system from them, that you get what's called an "E.O." number with it. That stands for Executive Order number. K & N, along with any aftermarket manufacturer that intends on selling aftermarket parts that go anywhere near under the hood of any CA car, has to have all of their parts or components signed off by the state.

When they do, they get an E.O. number for each and every device. One device, ONE NUMBER, multiple devices, multiple E.O. numbers. And, any and all E.O. numbers, MUST BE DISPLAYED UNDER THE HOOD.

If you have anything like that K & N under your hood and, you cruise into any Smog station for a recert, that's the first thing the tech is gonna look for WHEN HE SEES THAT K & N. If that E.O. is not present, your recert is OVER. And, you will not get a recert, 'till the situation is corrected.

So, sorry for the rant but, I'd hate to see you go through all the hassle of the install and then, not know the consequences of installing something that did not have an E.O. number and, someone told you, "It's OK, they'll not notice anything".
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks guys. This is my hesitation. Hadn’t thought about the ford warranty issue either...

I have friends who live the AF1, but I’m not a fan of installing their hardware in the Toad cabin. The M&G just seems “right” to me, which is why I installed it on our previous Jeep.

Hmmm
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I too wanted to install the M&G and am hesitant to change over to the K&N. I don't think a foam filter is a good idea on a fuel injected engine. I'm also not too keen on the idea that it has to get dirty to filter small particles. There are two inches between the air cleaner and master cylinder and you need 4. I was wondering if there was some way to modify the OEM air box to get that extra 2".
Old 03-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I too wanted to install the M&G and am hesitant to change over to the K&N. I don't think a foam filter is a good idea on a fuel injected engine. I'm also not too keen on the idea that it has to get dirty to filter small particles. There are two inches between the air cleaner and master cylinder and you need 4. I was wondering if there was some way to modify the OEM air box to get that extra 2".
Dirt bikes have been using foam filters since the 70s. Once oiled they're much more effective than K&N and don't need to get dirty to start filtering. Dust gets trapped in the oiled maze on the way through the filter, never getting to the engine. (fwiw: decades ago I raced motocross, cross county, desert and enduros and never had a problem with dust getting through a foam filter) Most of today's off road race bikes are fuel injected and use foam filters from the factory.

K&N would be my last choice in an air filter, right before no filter at all. There are many filter studies online and K&N's dust stopping ability is rated low in most of them. IMHO
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Well Sir,
First off, smart move on not using the K & N. Junk! As for modifying the factory plumbing on the air cleaner, well, if it were me, I'd do it in anyway possible that would do two things:

1. Not effect, in any way, the ability for the factory air cleaner to thoroughly do its job just like before any modifications.
2. Allow for the installation of the M & G component.

I still have to make the decision to order up an M & G system for our '15 Jeep JKUR. I'm dreading the P.I.T.A. install. I've done a lot of pain in the a.. work on our coach and toads so, it's really nothing new to me. Anyway, good luck if you plan to move forward on this.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

I have the M&G on my Canyon. Initially I was told I would need a different battery but that turned out not to be true. We just bought a new 2017 Buick Enclave and the website said I needed the K &N filter for it.

I called M&G and they told me not to do that as it will throw codes. So we will have the 2.0 installed next month instead. You may want to call M&G Monday and discuss with them.

We removed the stay n play (last coach was gas) and I agree with your thought on AF1.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #9

F150 M&G brake system

I just had a M&G brake system installed on my 2017 Ford Raptor and the M&G kit came with a air filter. This solves the problem with clearance
Tbeau1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeau1957 View Post
I just had a M&G brake system installed on my 2017 Ford Raptor and the M&G kit came with a air filter. This solves the problem with clearance
I put the M&G on our 2015 F-150 3 years ago when I was about a week old. Yes, you have to remove the stock airbox and yes, the M&G kit comes with a replacement filter... it is not a K&N but a similar one, I forgot the brand.
I kept the stock airbox and will include it or maybe put it back on when I go to sell.
As far as warranty, my truck is serviced at the local Ford dealer and they still cover warranty repairs, in fact, I'm going in for one when I get back in a couple weeks. I believe the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act allows you to use aftermarket equipment ( e.g. air filter) without voiding the manufactures warranty.

Tags
install, led