Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

M&G or Air Force 1

I have narrowed my braking choices to these two systems. I fully understand how the M&G system is installed, but I have seen no pics or illustrations of how the Air Force one is installed. Even their web page only shows a diagram. Any opinions (stupid question, I know!)? I have air brakes on the MH Thanks
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I installed my M&G system myself in about an hour; piece of cake. It's been working perfectly for two years so I'm happy. The nice part is I can hook up the M&G brake in 5 seconds and don't have to be concerned about quirky electronics or wiring problems.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwing View Post
I have narrowed my braking choices to these two systems.
Air Force One is installed under the hood of your car and it's out of sight and out of mind. As quickly as you can plug in your connections and place your vehicle in tow mode, that's all there is to it.

I know SMI, the people that work there and the technology that goes into the product. There aren't any quirky electronic problems with the AF1.

It works each and every time and it works great. There are many members here that use the AF1 so I expect that you will hear from someone with the brake shortly. The M&G is invasive in that it has to be connected into your vehicle's hydraulic system.

M&G is also a good product.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have the M&G on my current and had it on my last toad. It is a proportional system that works off your coach air system to your toad. A Valve is installed forward of the toad master cylinde andr activated by the coach air system. I also have the break away unit installed. After 8 years I am satisfied. I had it installed at Henderson Lineup in Grants Pass Oregon. If you have any questions they might help or lead you to others.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

I am having the M&G system installed b4 March on my Suburban. I did not get much help from the Air Force One people when I talked with them.

Ed
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I have the AFO on my Tundra. It is simple to use and works great on my 5K LBS pickup with about another 900 lbs of motorcycle and loader in the bed. I had intended to go with the M&G, but would have had to relocate the underhood fuse boxes to fit the air over hydraulic cylinder on the master cyclinder. I like that the AFO comes with a breakaway system as standard equipment. It also operates off of the actuating air instead of the braking air from the coach. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have AF1 on my 2007 Saturn Vue. I had it installed professionally. I was there during the install and I'm glad I had it done. Inside the cab of the TOAD they will install a little piston from the floor board to the break arm. The control unit is mounted under the hood. It is about 8x6x2(or3) inches. The air line from the front hook up of air comes into the box, is regulated and dispersed to the piston on "demand." I purchased the light kit with mine which requires adding a hole to the tail light holder. This allows for separate bulbs for tail light control. Mounted on the front of the vue are the two hook-ups for operation, lights and air, with quicl disconects, along with the base plate for a Demco tow bar.

At the coach, the light plug into the regular 7 pin connect and the air into a quick disconnect that feeds off of the coach system. I'm not sure exactly where, but AF1 provides a mechanism that is reported to maintain the integrity of the coach air system should there be a failure in the air to AF1. Inside the coach is a small bank of blue leds. When enough force is applied to the TOAD braking system the led will illuminate. I was told by the installer that these lights are really bright, so mine are installed on a panel next to my left foot. I need to lean forward just slightly to see if they are illuminated. One of these days I'll move them to shine down from under the dash, just enough to see the "glow."

On one trip the light did not come on and I found a broken ground where I was rummaging around looking for a connect point for another device. I had immediately pulled into a grocery parking lot and investigated to find the broken ground. bought some "zip" wire from the store and fixed it in a more secure location. I have had no other problems in over a year of operation.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
LATE BREAKING NEWS BIT!

SMI has just received a Patent Approval last month for the Air Force One. The Air Force One is now the only patented federally compliant system on the market today.

Press Release to follow shortly.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought the Air Force one was installed in the driver's area.. however.. Someone up-thread says it's all under the hood.. So, I will re-research. You may disregard this paragraph.

Now the M&G, I know for a fact is under the hood, however it will nto fit on all vehicles... It gets high marks from the folks I know using it.. Once installed (A simple procedure) you basically do the following:

To tow: Plug in air hose
To drive independent of motor home: Unplug air hose.

NOTE. you also either unhook the safety cable or swap plugs in the break-a-way switch.

The only suggestion I would have and this is based on personal experience is this.

They tell you, in the instruciton manual, NOT to hook the break-away cable to any part of the hitch... Ok,,, I hooked it to the main cross bar on the motor home where the hitch receiver is welded on..

Then the brackets at the ends of said bar broke dropping the bar, along with the motor home end of the break-a-way cable on the pavement.

How the car remained where it belonged is still a mystery.. But when I got off to the sholder and stopped.. There it was.

Theory is two fold

1: Brake force (I have a US-Gear Unified Brake Decelarator on my car) was set EXACTLY right

2: Final bracket broke when the suspension recoiled from the stop.

But there it was... Only the control wires for the US-Gear brakes connecting it to the motor home.. Very impressed am I with that system

Later this month (I'm not going anywhere with the MH for a while) I'll grab my coil of cable and build my own break-a-way cable.. The Frame rails will get one end I suspect or some other part that's not going to leave me wondering "Where'd the car go"
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #10

I have had an M&G in my van (and my last 2 vans) for many years. Nothing at all inside the toad and it uses the braking system with the same proportional force that you are using in the RV. 1 quick air hose connection and you are ready to travel. We have had Henderson install and/or move our M&G system and have been extremely pleased with both.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh! And the M&G would not work on the Saturn Vue as told by the professional installer. So do your homework.

And yes, you could put the AF1 control box in the inside car compartment, but why bother. It's unobtrusive under the hood. You could probably put the M&G controller in the compartment also and run lines. Probably an owner's choice.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, just some additional information.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Self installed the M&G in our Jeep. Took about 2 hours and was moderate difficulty level. I had the dealer put the air chuck on the motorhome when we bought it.

Works great and is easy to connect with the one air hose and break away cable from the coach to the toad.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #13

The M&G would not fit in our 2008 GMC Acadia.

Went with the AF1 and have had no problems, other than "operator error" on the first time we towed. After unhooking at a campground, I did not put the "key" back into the break-away connector. The AF1 system worked as it should - the small air tank under the hood activated and locked the brakes. Made it hard for my wife to drive to the campsite. I called AF1 (it was a Friday, about 6:00 pm) and a person answered the phone and told me what to check.

I've been very pleased. Did have it professionally installed, since I'm not any kind of mechanic.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am another satisfied user of AF1. Works great and when I have needed any techical assistance (during install), they were easy to reach by phone and very helpful.