RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Made my truck flat towable

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Control knob.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	241568[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Have owned this Tundra for 11 years, after looking truck I can flat tow and use daily , I decided to fix her up. I replaced the timing belt and pulleys, water pump, serpentine belt and tension-er , hoses, new coolant, oil change, new up graded brake calipers, rotors pads , front and back , interior removed, carpet cleaned ( pressure washer) seats cleaned ( waiting on dye to touch up, new drivers seat bottom, ( old one cracked , split. New Michelin tires and the drive shaft disconnect . Still gotta do some paint work on drivers side fender, door. Seems truck was touched up at dealership because I bought from dad and he bought new and never did any damage or scratches and cleat coat is def coming off just in these areas so probably got scratched before he bought it. I attached pics and one pic shows the pull knob for drive shaft disconnect , I hid it under the tray on the console. No one can accidentally pull it. WELL, I posted and noticed pics are sideways, not sure how this happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tundra 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	242183   Click image for larger version

Name:	tundra 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	242184  

Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #2

Sweet!

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Since I love Toyota trucks and yours is definitely sweet, I took the liberty to upright that one pic so as to do it justice !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	624.1 KB
ID:	241582  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Thanks , truck looks sorta bad with that faded peeling clear coat on drivers fender and door but I will take care of that in next week or so. Thinking I prob need a brake sys , never used one before so gotta check into that.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good for you. We had owned a couple of Camry’s with great results so I wanted a Toyota pickup as a toad. Went to the dealer we had bought the Camrys from. Told the salesman of my intention to use it as a toad. He had know knowledge so he ask the General Manager.
He became very abrasive and commented, that Toyota’s were no way designed to be towed. And if I ever brought it n for warranty work and they saw any signs or equipment that it had been towed, they would void my warranty.

I bought a Nissan truck.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Good for you. We had owned a couple of Camry’s with great results so I wanted a Toyota pickup as a toad. Went to the dealer we had bought the Camrys from. Told the salesman of my intention to use it as a toad. He had know knowledge so he ask the General Manager.
He became very abrasive and commented, that Toyota’s were no way designed to be towed. And if I ever brought it n for warranty work and they saw any signs or equipment that it had been towed, they would void my warranty.

I bought a Nissan truck.
Never, Never, Never discuss warranty with a sales person or general manager (glorified salesman), always talk to the manufacturer c/s department. First of all the dealership does not set the terms of the MANUFACTURER'S warranty, only the manufacturer sets the terms and the dealership implements those terms. When there is a questionable area such as this, it is the service manager's responsibility to contact his manufacturers field rep for clarification.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

Driveshaft disconnect? Never seen one before. That is really neat.
93 Jayco RK 325, 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base, 07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #8

DGB , that man was an idiot. It will not hurt a rear drive vehicle to be towed in any way if you disconnect the drive shaft. It would be no more harmful than a front wheel drive on a tow dolly. He reminds me of a guy I once was hired to haul a car from Maryland to Kentucky. I had a big 4 car rollback , 1 over cab, 2 on bed and one towed on the wheel lift. I had a combination of various cars and I needed to tow his on the wheel lift but to do that I would have had to remove the drive shaft. He flipped oit when I suggest it thought I was crazy . Guess he is kin to the guy you knew. As I recall it was a 90 or so 2wd ford pickup . Now if the issue is with something in the front end like steering which I doubt , that is a different story.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #9

Made my FJ flat towable

I installed the driveshaft disconnect on my '14 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Same talk from a Toyota dealer.

It's easy to do with an auto tranny. There is a aux tranny with it. I leave the aux in the 2wd position, disconnect the driveshaft, and away I go.

Oops, BTW, the ignition key has to be in the vertical position. That position keeps the steering wheel unlocked.

505 KittyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That touch up may have been done at the factory. I toured the Toyota plant in San Antonio and was surprised at the number of trucks waiting in line to get their paint repaired before being shipped.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:27 AM   #11

505 , steering wheel not suppose to lock if after you run and turn key off but do not pull key out.Steering only locks when you remove key. I learned that here by a Gentleman that used the same truck as a toad. I have done this and it works but haven't pulled truck yet.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:29 AM   #12

Barmcd , that could be true.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
505 , steering wheel not suppose to lock if after you run and turn key off but do not pull key out.Steering only locks when you remove key. I learned that here by a Gentleman that used the same truck as a toad. I have done this and it works but haven't pulled truck yet.
You beat me to it.

Our RAV-4 doesn't lock until the key is removed, and the steering wheel is turned a bit. And we don't even have to start it to unlock it. I put the key in, turn it on, wiggle the steering wheel a bit to make sure it unlocks, then turn it off and leave the key in.

Hey Darin. Tell me about that drive shaft disconnect. I've got an '03 Tundra that I've considered towing.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a great looking outcome.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow