Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #1

I'm contemplating using Mag lights on a 2007 Tahoe. They'd have to go on the roof. Is anyone aware of any laws pertaining to how high tail lights can be before they are considered inappropriate and subject to penalty?

Anyone have any experience with mag lights as to scratching of paint surfaces? I gather they come with felt pads to prevent scratching.

I'm also considering the new Blue Ox lights that are placed in the receiver at the back and the lines are run to the front (under the toad) to connect to the MH.

These are, I gather, very new so I've not found anyone that has used them yet.

TIA

Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #2

I'm contemplating using Mag lights on a 2007 Tahoe. They'd have to go on the roof. Is anyone aware of any laws pertaining to how high tail lights can be before they are considered inappropriate and subject to penalty?

Anyone have any experience with mag lights as to scratching of paint surfaces? I gather they come with felt pads to prevent scratching.

I'm also considering the new Blue Ox lights that are placed in the receiver at the back and the lines are run to the front (under the toad) to connect to the MH.

These are, I gather, very new so I've not found anyone that has used them yet.

TIA

Don
Old 01-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
paz

Try THIS LINK for the Blue Ox Light Bar from RVUpgrades.

I don't have any personal experience with magnetic lights, but I have heard they do scratch. I think the key to preventing scratches would to be sure the surface you are going to mount on is absolutely clean every time. If not, I would think the felt would pick up dirt and grit and act like sandpaper.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #4

I was in touch with RVupgrades a week ago. Their prices are very good for the baseplates and the lights - but of course you then have to look for someone to install them.

The best quotes to date have been $450 for the baseplates and $100 for installation. $125 for the light bar and $100 for installation.

The baseplates are $336 at RVUpgrades and the light bar is $81.

Don
Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
paz

Unfortunately, those shops that can do the installation don't always have the best prices on the items themselves. The local shops probably have more overhead than the mail order/internet companies and probably don't have the volume. RVUpgrades is pretty hard to beat.

Well, maybe someone else will chime in with more information and experience on the magnetic lights. That would save you some money if you feel they would work out for you.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We use magnetic mount lights and they do scratch a bit. You can see the marks if you look down on the roof, though they are not serious. Our lights are 8 years old and have no felt pads. We leave them on the car pretty much all the time, even when not towing. Makes the car easy to spot in the mall parking lot.

When we get another car, I'll probably add light bulbs to the car light sockets if feasible or go with diodes on the car's own lights if adding separate bulbs is not practical.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #7

Paz, I'm probably going to go for the light bracket to avoid any height issues and scratches.

I have a feeling that one of the pricing problems is dealer/distributor related. The dealer with the best quote does not show on the BlueOx dealer list. Nor does RVUpgrades for that matter.

BlueOx says its products should be installed by a dealer. I'm going to call them and discuss that issue. My No.2 son is an engineer in the auto mfg biz (BEng MFG and MEng Mech)and can easily do the installation (he has looked at the instructions and feels it should be easy and fairly straight forward). First, however, I want to clarify warranty policy related to installation.

Don
Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:

BlueOx says its products should be installed by a dealer. I'm going to call them and discuss that issue. My No.2 son is an engineer in the auto mfg biz (BEng MFG and MEng Mech)and can easily do the installation (he has looked at the instructions and feels it should be easy and fairly straight forward). First, however, I want to clarify warranty policy related to installation.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stating the baseplate should be installed by a dealer may be just Blue Ox's way of covering themselves. If they didn't want do-it-yourselfers to do the installation, they wouldn't make the instructions available on their web site for everyone to see.

As I said, the installation, especially of the new two-piece baseplate for the 2007 Tahoe, isn't that difficult. It sounds like your son should have no problem with the installation. Just follow the instructions and be sure to use Locktite as specified.

Since you son seems to be comfortable with this type of work, the other option for lights is to either install auxillary lightbulb sockets in your Tahoe tail lights. This requires running a separate set of wires to the back of the Tahoe and drilling a hole in the light assembly for the socket. If you're uncomfortable drilling holes in your taillights (as I was), you can use the existing bulbs by installing diodes in the wires to prevent feedback back and forth between the motorhome and Tahoe electrical systems.

Although I really like Blue Ox tow bars, I feel Roadmaster does a better job with wiring. Here are links to the Roadmaster instructions for installing lights with separate bulbs and with diodes using your existing bulbs. If you and your son feel up to tackling the wiring, here is a link to even more detailed Roadmaster wiring information.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Don,
Here's link to the Lighting Equipment Standards for Trucks, Buses and MPV's. You will need to scroll down the page to get the detail on the rear stop lamps.There are also illustrations lower down the page.
Regards from the very frozen north.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #10

Sam, you just killed the mag lights. Max height is 72 inches and the Tahoe roof is over 75 inches high. I suspected mag lights on the Tahoe would be too high so now I can avoid them. I've been leaning to the light bar from Blue Ox.

Paz, the Colorado had separate bulbs and they worked well for the 2.5 years. I'm debating getting rid of DW's 06 Equinox and replacing it with a Lincoln Mk X - which would be lighter and shorter and a good Toad (if they ever get baseplates - Ford really screwed up and until a lot of us complained they said it and the Edge and Mk Z are not towable - they have now changed their manuals and hopefully will notify FMCA as well). This may take a while (getting her agreement) but if I do swap, then I'd like to be able to tow both of them and alternate depending on the trip and the light bar with a wiring set for each vehicle would be nice.

My son has lots of Loctite experience - he races and has built a SCCA DSR. Haven't seen a pile of parts lying around the car yet so it works

No question in my mind that the "dealer install" comment is a CYA move by Blue Ox.

I'm finding myself in a mental struggle. The dealer in Canada who did your tow kit (tow bar, baseplates, separate bulbs, Brake Buddy) did a very fine job. I was thinking of going back to him for this work but the difference in prices from the US to Canada is pretty high (we suffer from an extra distribution markup that can be significant). Have got at least another month to decide.

Don
Old 01-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
paz

Don, if you're considering towing 2 different vehicles then the light bar seems like the way to go.

It sounds like you have 2 good options for the baseplate installation - either your son or a dealer whom you have used before. Good luck on your decision.

paz