Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #15

We used a set from Roadmaster on our Buick. They came with thin plastic disks to place between the painted surface and the magnets on the lights. In 5 years and 25,000 miles we didn't have a scratch.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We used a set from Roadmaster on our Buick. They came with thin plastic disks to place between the painted surface and the magnets on the lights. In 5 years and 25,000 miles we didn't have a scratch.
Come to think of it, our magnetic lights came from Roadmaster too. And yes, they have thin plastic discs on the bottom of the lights. Possibly explains why no scratches.

I've been wondering, how do magnetic lights scratch the paint? Unless they are being slid instead of tipped to remove them?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Harbor Freights $10 lights also have plastic fixed to the magnets. I have never had a scratch and I'm very particular. Also, I never slide my lights when taking them off or putting them on.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
We used the magnetic tow lights for the past 4 years.
Camping world just had a installation sale $29, so we just had the permeant lights installed.
I will miss being able to see if the lights are working. My break busy does alert me if the brake s are working.
shore515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the harbor freight magnetic lights would not stay put on the roof of my 2002 nissan altima. the trunk lid is aluminum. the fenders are plastic.
i bought a pair of plastic mounted tow lights from uhaul. they fit under my trunk lid lip and work well.
i installed led lamps in them.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #20

Never had a problem with scratches from the magnetic lights but did have problems with harness abrasions on the exterior finish because I routed it on the outside of the toad. I now run the harness through the interior and under the hood and out the grille.

WM
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Never had a problem with scratches from the magnetic lights but did have problems with harness abrasions on the exterior finish because I routed it on the outside of the toad. I now run the harness through the interior and under the hood and out the grille.

WM
What I did was install a 6 pin receptacle on the base plate, and ran the cable in a wire loom under the car, up into the trunk and installed a 4 pin female trailer plug on the end. Then I installed a 4 pin male plug on the mag lights which are attached to the rear shelf with 3M locking strips, as detailed in my earlier post. Plug the cable from the moho into the receptacle, mount the lights and off we go. No messing around with diodes.
Plus I have the ReadyBrute Elite system, so the car brakes activate their own lights when braking, in addition to the motohome's brake lights through the mag lights. Two sets of brake lights is a good thing.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #22

Even if you have a plastic shield on the magnet it will still have a tendency for metallic things to stick to it, just be sure to wipe it off before you use them. I dropped one on the ground one time and you would be surprised how much junk stuck to it.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote