Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The drop hitch receiver goes on the RV to lower the tow bar in relation to the base plate on the front of the toad. I don't know of any 'drop base plate' hook ups to reduce height difference between the two vehicles.
That's my understanding of it as well.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
HI OP Here again - more question and more answers
1. "But the towed frame itself may not be strong enough to take the strain, that's why I trust RoadMaster for my tow bar equipment"
Mfg #1 is Roadmaster. They are the ones saying crossbar not needed on EZ5 bracket system. Another beef for me - RM website picture labels wrong
From Roadmaster website
"For EZ5 brackets only design enhancements eliminate the quick disconnect crossbar. EZ5 brackets are for motorhome-mounted tow bars only. (EZ5 brackets will not accommodate the Guardian, Stowaway, Nixtopper or the 4700 Tow Defender)."
2. "I don't know of any 'drop base plate' hook ups to reduce height difference between the two vehicles."
It is not the base plate it is the tow bar itself.
From Demco website Commander tow bar description
"Rise or Drop Male Receiver
Standard 1 inch rise/drop receiver tube: No other tow bar manufacturer can stake this claim!"

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
HI OP Here again - more question and more answers
"I don't know of any 'drop base plate' hook ups to reduce height difference between the two vehicles."
It is not the base plate it is the tow bar itself.
From Demco website Commander tow bar description
"Rise or Drop Male Receiver
Standard 1 inch rise/drop receiver tube: No other tow bar manufacturer can stake this claim!"
I looked at the Commander, yes, the tow bar has a 1 1/2" offset built into the receiver end of the tow bar. I thought what was being referenced was a base plate that had a rise or drop built into it to compensate for height difference at the toad end of the set up. I'd be uncomfortable with the drop built into my $400 tow bar, I'd rather use a $40 drop hitch receiver.

I first used a drop hitch receiver to zero out the height difference between my MH and toad. It was only a 2" drop. I was plowing grooves in driveway's and campsites, so I removed it and have 2" difference between MH and toad. I can live with it and haven't bottomed out since I removed it.

If you look at Blue Ox baseplates, they have transverse bracing built into the baseplate. Their tow bars don't have a cross brace. Roadmaster base plates are often just bolt on stubs to the frame ends, thus the transverse bracing is built into the tow bar. Yes, some of the Roadmaster base plates have tie ins between the two mounting plates, but many do not, at least that was my theory in the difference in the designs in the two brands. I found a gently used Blue Ox tow bar for $170 and so I went with a Blue Ox base plate to match. I've not regretted my choice.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
doc

Appalachian Campers
If you look at Blue Ox baseplates, they have transverse bracing built into the baseplate. Their tow bars don't have a cross brace. Roadmaster base plates are often just bolt on stubs to the frame ends, thus the transverse bracing is built into the tow bar. Yes, some of the Roadmaster base plates have tie ins between the two mounting plates, but many do not, at least that was my theory in the difference in the designs in the two brands. I found a gently used Blue Ox tow bar for $170 and so I went with a Blue Ox base plate to match.

Pretty much nailed to all right there. However I do believe they make a rigid A-frame tow bar that attaches to the ball of hitch that does have the cross brace. A friend has one to tow his HHR and it is a PIA to attach.
I have to wonder how much air a cross bar would block from the radiator when it stands off from the grill and is only an inch and half in diameter.