Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Making my Sterling towbar work

We traded in our 2000 Jayco Eagle Class C on a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Class A.
The hitch on the Winnie is 5 inches taller than the Jayco, so I need to figure out a solution to pulling our 2006 Jeep Wrangler toad. On the Jayco, our Sterling All Terrain tow bar was perfectly level.
I bought a 4 inch drop bar from the local dealer but it was also quite a bit LONGER so the safety cables and lighting cables were too short.
I just took delivery of a Blue Ox 4" drop bar that only extends the bar 7". I haven't tried it yet; the Winnie is in a storage lot due to a cranky neighbor. I'm hoping that this one won't be too long. I REALLY hate using a drop bar because of the added leverage and looseness it causes.
Does anyone have any other ideas? Is anyone else running something similar?
I even thought about doing a 4" lift on the Jeep but the wife is only 5'2" and can barely climb in as it is!
HELP PLEASE!
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I have to use a drop receiver also. I shoved the drop receiver all the way in the coach receiver, used a scribe and etched the paint on the male end through the holes in the coach receiver. I did the same thing on the towbar using the holes in the drop receiver. I then used a drill press to drill holes in the marked areas on the bar and the drop receiver where they were marked. Problem solved.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

n9iui,

My question is what brand base plate are you trying to use, and does it mount above or below the bumper? If your current base plate is below the bumper, one that mounts above might solve your problem.

I used to pull my 97 Wrangler with a base plate made out of 2" angle iron mounted on top of the bumper. I believe it was similar to one that was made by Blue OX. It served me well for about 20K miles.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346
I have to use a drop receiver also. I shoved the drop receiver all the way in the coach receiver, used a scribe and etched the paint on the male end through the holes in the coach receiver. I did the same thing on the towbar using the holes in the drop receiver. I then used a drill press to drill holes in the marked areas on the bar and the drop receiver where they were marked. Problem solved.
I had planned to do that, but the dropped part of my new drop bar isn't thru-and-thru. It's sealed in the back.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9iui View Post
I had planned to do that, but the dropped part of my new drop bar isn't thru-and-thru. It's sealed in the back.
Don't quite understand what that has to do with it but anyway, cut the end off.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #6

I had exactly the same problem, but needed a raise... I just didn't want the extra length so had my local hitch shop custom make this 'Z' Hitch. They added hardened nuts welded on as well to cinch it down and it won't vibrate at all. All this wasn't cheap either...

As you can see there is only about 3" difference between the stock and extended hitch.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9iui View Post
We traded in our 2000 Jayco Eagle Class C on a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Class A.
The hitch on the Winnie is 5 inches taller than the Jayco, so I need to figure out a solution to pulling our 2006 Jeep Wrangler toad. On the Jayco, our Sterling All Terrain tow bar was perfectly level.
I bought a 4 inch drop bar from the local dealer but it was also quite a bit LONGER so the safety cables and lighting cables were too short.
I just took delivery of a Blue Ox 4" drop bar that only extends the bar 7". I haven't tried it yet; the Winnie is in a storage lot due to a cranky neighbor. I'm hoping that this one won't be too long. I REALLY hate using a drop bar because of the added leverage and looseness it causes.
Does anyone have any other ideas? Is anyone else running something similar?
I even thought about doing a 4" lift on the Jeep but the wife is only 5'2" and can barely climb in as it is!
HELP PLEASE!
something like this hitch immobilizer bx88224 will tighten it up so it doesn't wobble.

Blue Ox Drop Receivers
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMelancon View Post
Please go to Dangerous Trailers.org and take note...the hitch you are making has not been tested...you are putting the people who are driving behind you at risk.

Would you fabricate your child's safety seat the same way? Then why is the person behind you any less significant?

See this e mail I received......

First Name : Mohammad
Last Name : Redacted
Address Street 1 : Redacted
Address Street 2 : City : S
Zip Code : State : FL
Daytime Phone : Redacted
Evening Phone : Redacted
Email : Redacted
Comments : My wife was wife was killed by a run away trailer on April 16, 2011 in Jacksonville Florida on SR 13 in Saint Johns county.
What are you talking about and who are you addressing it to?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh
n9iui,

My question is what brand base plate are you trying to use, and does it mount above or below the bumper? If your current base plate is below the bumper, one that mounts above might solve your problem.

I used to pull my 97 Wrangler with a base plate made out of 2" angle iron mounted on top of the bumper. I believe it was similar to one that was made by Blue OX. It served me well for about 20K miles.
The baseplate is Roadmaster, and is below the bumper. I'm not wanting to shell out another few hundred dollars on another base plate; so far I haven't found one that goes above the bumper and doesn't look like hell. Maybe I need to look some more though; I might have missed one. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #10

I think I've decided to cut off a few inches of the tow bar and redrill new holes. Now if I can find a machine sh in Indianapolis that will do it. So far three have turned me down. Must be afraid of the liability.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

RonMelacon, what in blazes are you talking about?!
I plan on using approved hitch materials in whatever I do, so please go hijack someone else's thread.
Moderators? Is this allowed on this forum?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #12

I'm glad it's not just me that can't figure out all his meaningless (to this thread) ramblings. I wonder if he's stopped long enough to even figure out we're not talking about trailers?

Jeff - WA6EQU